Batboy!

• by markdraws
  • posted Mar 27, 2009
  • 20 Comments

My tribute to an American icon.

From Wikipedia:

Bat Boy is a fictional creature who made several appearances in the defunct supermarket tabloid Weekly World News. The Weekly World News published patently fabricated stories which were purported to be factual. Within the pages of the paper, Bat Boy is described as a creature who is 'half human and half bat'. His pursuers, according to Weekly World News are scientists and United States government officials; he is frequently captured, then later makes a daring escape.

Watch this
markdraws

My tribute to an American icon.

From Wikipedia:

Bat Boy is a fictional creature who made several appearances in the defunct supermarket tabloid Weekly World News. The Weekly World News published patently fabricated stories which were purported to be factual. Within the pages of the paper, Bat Boy is described as a creature who is 'half human and half bat'. His pursuers, according to Weekly World News are scientists and United States government officials; he is frequently captured, then later makes a daring escape.

barbdesign

Better on black, not so good on white. When the wing tissue fades into the shirt, it really works!

Ivantobealone
Ivantobealone profile pic Alumni

I saw that play off Broadway in 2001, it was a great show. I imagine you cleared all copyright issues.

milanorain

i really like the idea you used, but (and maybe it's just me) I always thought of bat boy as more realistic (his face I mean). i do hope you got copyright cleared, etc. otherwise fine idea!

markdraws

To tell you the truth I never gave much thought to the copyright. I made sure to vary the image considerably from the character created in the Weekly World News. I sent this in figuring there have been plenty of shirts that have been printed featuring Batman, Darth Vader, etc. Plus, if there was any legal issue, I assume the folks at Threadless would have rejected it. Thanks for the concern and constructive criticism.

asphyxia

I usually like black t-shirts best, but I much prefer this on white.

zeropluslessthan

Wow. In South Africa we don't have to make up crazy news. There's plenty of reality to defy belief. A bat boy, you say?

Your artwork perhaps could be sillier? It's a bit serious-scary for such daft inspiration.

The_Ali

My school just did this play

edana

Wow, I forgot about batboy and this terrified me! I think I'd like it a lot more if it were not quite so...realistic? Goofier, perhaps. Then again, people might think it's some joke on Batman at that point and not get it. It's really well done, though!

gsworks

Ol' Batboy's got the whole Reggie Nalder as Mr. Barlow thing goin' on! Nice!

Dick Firestorm
Dick Firestorm profile pic Alumni

BRO, I'D TOTALLY WEAR THIS ON BLACK!

markdraws

You're right about the Reggie Nalder (who was himself modeled after good old Nosferatu).

gsworks

Max Schrek's makeup was groundbreaking for it's day but you gotta' admit Nalder's makeup especially his eyes was f**ckin' creepy! I dig the changes you made to the batboy design. This would be a great shirt to wear in the "Bible Belt!"

No account?
Join Us