Close
One second...

jump right in...

This concept morphed many times in my mind before getting to this point.

Sometimes it really just feels like we've jumped out of a plane with only a bucket to catch us.

I'm wondering about things like placement, colors, should I add detail. Should I add color or is one color good enough (which I actually like at this point). Stuff like that. I'm not too sure if I like perspective, but I'm making everything cheat towards "stage".

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
AlexPLeith

This concept morphed many times in my mind before getting to this point.

Sometimes it really just feels like we've jumped out of a plane with only a bucket to catch us.

I'm wondering about things like placement, colors, should I add detail. Should I add color or is one color good enough (which I actually like at this point). Stuff like that. I'm not too sure if I like perspective, but I'm making everything cheat towards "stage".

robofunc

The bucket didn't read as a bucket right away, probably because of those two little bits sticking up on either side of it. Vestigial handle?

Also, it feels like the plane should be @ top left and the uppermost skydiver should be nearer the middle. Putting the plane on the right creates a disconnect in the progression from jumping to bucket.

AlexPLeith

I started that way, however it's suppose to be two jumpers. This means that the plane has to be past for them to be that far down.

Should I cut it to just one jumper, or actually make it a process?

And, as for the bucket, would changing the perspective to bottom up, making the bucket bigger, be better?

robofunc

I understand about the plane moving as the jumpers fall, but this is one of those cases where you want aesthetic appeal over technical accuracy. I say let it be less literal and the composition will hang together better.

Cutting a jumper could be interesting. Plane @ top left, jumper @ bottom right near the bucket. All of a sudden, you're there. No time to pull the cord. It sounds more surprising. I say go for it.

As for the bucket, I'd start with removing those bumps and making it a touch bigger.

enasha

i didnt get what the bucket was untill i read teh description

AlexPLeith

Thanks robofunc and enasha. I'll work on those two elements tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

AlexPLeith

No other suggestions before I start working on this again?

AlexPLeith

I've added color splashes, though it still seems like it's missing a lot. Let me know what you think and be as honest as possible, but be constructive about it, no matter how harsh it may sound.

WebPaperScissors

I really like the color splashes, and I think the navy and light gray shirts are my favorite. My preference would be to use the figure from the top of v1, because it looks more human. For some reason, my initial impression of this design was that the figure was a bird, and it took me a sec to get oriented.

Keep going with this, it's a cool design!

HorsefaceDee

I think the design looks too static. Also the plane is too close to the top of the shirt. Create a bit more movement between the images...it seems like the are just plunked on there right now and don't relate to each other....

AlexPLeith

Thanks for the comments. I'll work on those suggestions. Any other ideas that may make this better?
And, ideas to make it less static? It seems that instructional designs seem to be the hype right now, would that help? Though, I'm not a fan of the cliche nature of that.

rasmus1

I like it with white on a blue background. Though I'd do the splashes a bit more "curvy" maybe, now they seem kinda "hard" and pointy.

Maybe move the plane a bit lower, just a bit.

Also as WebPaperScissors said, the figure from the top of V1 would be the better choice.

Nice design, think this could come out great.

52chevy pickup

I think its good. looks best on the dark grey shirt.

AlexPLeith

Thanks for the advice. I'll get working on the placement changes and curve the splashes a bit more (one thing that I was considering before also).

I do like the idea of having the man closer to the plane, should connect the image a bit more.

Francesa

The man is out ahead of the plane. Move the plane to the left shoulder and the bucket to the right and that may fix that. (Like V1.) I also liked the more easily identifiable person from V1 better.

AlexPLeith

I was just thinking that. Thank you very much Francesa. I should have another version up today. (My laptop charger died so I have to work on it after work.)

onetworedandblue

I love this concept but i just didn't see the figure as a man...

mrJAkHAk

Oh, that's a man? I mean, I see it now, but before I thought it was just a bird or a splotch of randomness. Haha.

lahammerman

yeah, hard to tell it's a parachuter.. and it doesn't look like he's landing in paint, if you want it to look like that, make there be more transistions.. because right now, it's just a bunch of random blobs.

ReneeRoyalty

This is pretty cool. Looks best on dark grey.

AlexPLeith

I changed the man from a parachuter to an everyday business man, see how that will work. I also moved things around to build a story.

Tell me what you think and if I missed any comments, I apologize.

AlexPLeith

I changed the man from a parachuter to an everyday business man, see how that will work. I also moved things around to build a story.

Tell me what you think and if I missed any comments, I apologize.

past-tense-of-draw

Oh that's good. I like it much better that he is dropping straight down.

AlexPLeith

Thank you. I'm feeling that also.
Is the plane looking detached still or is the placement fixed?

I'm not completely happy with the splash still, but I want it to be an unconventional splash.

DinosaurVoodoo

what you want, is some ink splats for the colour the design will look more interesting like that, but i like where this is headed nice one

AlexPLeith

I'll look into that, though I was hoping to stay with the splash concept so that everything has a purpose.

AlexPLeith

Any other comments?

AlexPLeith

Well, I'll probably have another version up today, so feel free to critique things that need to change before that point in case I haven't caught it yet.

kikimaclean

I'd move the plane down just a hair to get the wing off of the edge of the shirt collar.

AlexPLeith

I changed a few things. Added more planes, people and buckets to it. The shirt just seemed to plain to me before.
Please keep the critiques coming, they are very helpful.

AlexPLeith

I'm feeling that too... Would it be too much with just more planes to make up for just one drop point with a plane to account for the man already in the bucket, the falling man, then one one its way to drop another man?

Any other suggestions? I'm pretty much up to any suggestions to try out at this point until it starts feeling right to me.

Francesa

Bigger. Closer together, more integrated design. Like the plane is 20 feet off the ground and the viewer is close enough to get splashed with the paint.

AlexPLeith

Sounds good. Thanks Francesa. I'll have another new design up today, if time allows while at work.

AlexPLeith

[My internet was on the fritz when I was publishing this version, hence the duplication between v.5 and v.7. Also the explanation for v.6 being blank.]

I'm really liking this new version. It's probably my favorite shirt I've done thus far.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for this? I'm thinking it's finally getting somewhere.

(If you disagree, please let me know... I need that)

AlexPLeith

Just thought I'd bump this back to the first page.

52chevy pickup

I liked the guy from version 2 better.

AlexPLeith

I think you're the only person to like it more, that was the biggest complaint about the second version.

But, I'll work on the splashes tomorrow since that is my only real problem with it.

AlexPLeith

The splash looks more like liquid now, as opposed to arbitrary shapes and configurations.

Please keep the comments coming. I really need them.

walmazan

Hi Alex, I think the splash looks great, I think the two planes looks the same, so, if you do a new on, could be better,.

I think is two small for show your all your work, maybe you need to present to work in other way.

Sorry my english is too poor,

AlexPLeith

Thanks Walmazan. I've been messing around with biplanes lately, so I'll see if I can get those to fit into their a little.

past-tense-of-draw

I really like the new splash.

You could have some solour that has landed on the ground,

Mutiny!

AlexPLeith

I threw in two of my biplanes that I have been working on. Hopefully it adds a higher quality to it and not clashes styles.

Past-tense-man... I've considered putting color on the ground, but it didn't really really look right to me. I'm also trying to make it more dynamic and paint that looks like it is just sitting there adds a level of static that I am not wanting. Thanks though.

And, the blurriness is coming from the pictures being jpg. Design is made in illustrator.

stothemofob

i think the positioning is great, that's always what i look for in a great tee. the colours are really nice too. is it a paint tin? i can't really tell. i think it's really cool apart from that though

AlexPLeith

It's actually just a really large bucket. The original concept has to do with the old fashion circus high divers who would jump into large buckets of water and it evolved into this.

Brantrodomus

This is just awesome. I would buy that shirt anyday! I really like the colors!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?