Close
One second...

What a rip off....

I just called a car repair shop that specializes in foreign cars to get a price quote. I have a 1999 Beetle, 2.0 engine. Nothing fancy.

$365 JUST for parts. $615 for labor. It's not like it's an alternator or something. These parts are very easy to get to.

• Oil pan

• Oil funnel (the plastic piece that the dip stick goes in)

I just looked on eBay for those exact same parts... $10 for an oil funnel and $50 for an oil pan.

Am I missing something?

Watch this
Omair

Wow, crazy price difference. Did you tell them that? Maybe they'll cut you a deal cuz you're not some kinda nancy.

Tess Fondie

specializes in foreign cars

I'm guessing that is your problem there.... my 93 saturn's alternator froze, causing one of my belts to snap. those two things, plus a full thing of oil, plus labor- 80 bucks.

man i miss that car

Omair

You should find out what "labor" entails, and whether they have the parts in stock, that could be one thing.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Yeah... I think I'm just going to call around and ask what the price will be if I provide the parts. Car shops are ridiculous. I've had to deal with them too often. I hate my car.

NomadSlim
NomadSlim profile pic Alumni

You're not missing anything. You can often buy your own parts and have the mechanics install them. They also have a standard pricing guide that has how many hours a project should take. If it takes 1/4 of the time they still charge you by the book. It is a pain in the ass to fix your own shit, but financially so worth it.

PeculiarTiffany

Beetles are a pain in the ass to work with too, so I'm sure they add a "too much shit in a very tiny space" fee too.

Phiffer

your problem is going to a car repair shop that specializes in foreign cars

Omair

Or, just get in a car accident, claimt hat they broke your face, get heaps of money, say that the oil pan or whatever was broken as a result of the accident, get that shit fixxed under insurance, have enough money left over to buy yourself a sweet Hotwheels trick trax race set bundle from Costco.

PeculiarTiffany

Going to a car shop that doesn't makes getting a Beetle fixed very difficult. I've gotten turned away before because "They dont' work on Beetles."

PeculiarTiffany

Maybe I could splurge on a Power Wheels barbie jeep.

Omair

they have mopeds at toys r' us for 300 bucks, I'm spending my income tax money on that.

Phiffer

did you try your local VW dealer?

PeculiarTiffany

I haven't. I'm pretty sure they'd be the same or worse even.

Phiffer

probably

PeculiarTiffany

I'm too poor for this shit.

HorsefaceDee
HorsefaceDee profile pic Alumni

jeeebus...find a new mechanic. I never go to dealerships anymore..they rip you off..find a mom and pop shop...I have a guy who services my civic and he is the BEST and cheap and I trust him

PeculiarTiffany

There's a mom and pop shop that I used to go to where I used to live (with my parents). It's a little out of the way, but I'm planning on calling them for sure.

HorsefaceDee

yeah they need business and stay in business on reputation....so fuck the big corporations....I once took my old car to a dealership and paid 1000 bucks to fix something in my transmission and I drove it off the lot and it DIED....they SUCK

PeculiarTiffany

Holy crap. Yeah that's awful. The one I called is a smaller business too, but there's a lot of rich people around here that don't care enough to look somewhere else.

HorsefaceDee

cars are just expensive period. actually I know a few peeps with beetle who never have any luck with them....

PeculiarTiffany

Oh yeah, they're huge pieces of shit. My headlights go out constantly and my turn signals don't work anymore. I have to make it blink manually. So awesome.

HorsefaceDee

can you sell it?.. I had a POS chev cavelier that I HATED...everyhting fell apart on it..I learned so much about cars...now I have an 11 year old civic that doesn't even have rust..i love that car..it had almost 250 000 km on it!!

V1ctorya

incidently, I think 615$ is also the going rate for labor in the maternity ward. . . .weird.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

not if you're giving birth to a volkswagen

PeculiarTiffany

I'm going to pass it down to my 16 year old brother once I finish selling it off. I'm sure he'll appreciate it more than I do.

PeculiarTiffany

d3d
d3d on Jan 21 '09 at 3:54pm
not if you're giving birth to a volkswagen

I think the old ones would be even more painful.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

Herbie Goes Caesarean

maddingo

whatever you do don't go to the dealer... it will be ass-rapage pricewise (unless of course it was a warranty repair..which it sounds like it is not given the age of the car)

yes.. it is true if you buy parts it is much cheaper than if you go through a shop.

it maybe (no idea but I could imagine) that it is a giant pain in the ass to replace those items on a new beetle

the oil pan probably not so much but if the oil dipstick tube has had it ...<del> it may be that you have to dismantle all kinds of shit to get to it. </del> actually ??? doesn't sound too bad from quick googling.

it googled it and it sounds likes oil pan replacements are generally 400~ish give or take (parts labor)... and the dipstick funnel actually sounds "trivial" so I'm kinda thinking those guys are ripping y'all off

PeculiarTiffany

I just need to make some mechanic friends apparently.

Dudewheresbrianh

:/
I wanted one of those. I was going to vote but you have nothing for me to vote on.
When you do remind me.

Dudewheresbrianh

Also, if you live in Chicago, there's a great place on Western and Bryn Mawr. My parents go to them all the time and my dad used to be a mechanic (Before I was born now he works on computers) so he knows whats good. :)

No account?
Join Us