Close
One second...

Barbarian Warrior 7 - Greatest Game Ever!

This is a very, very rough idea of what I'm trying to go for. It's a new version of an older design that somehow got deleted.

I'm just posting this to see what you guys think of the idea. Once I get an estimation of what needs to be done, then I'll do a much neater, much more polished version which will then only need tweaks instead of overhauls.

Let me know what you guys think!

Watch this
mrjotz

This is a very, very rough idea of what I'm trying to go for. It's a new version of an older design that somehow got deleted.

I'm just posting this to see what you guys think of the idea. Once I get an estimation of what needs to be done, then I'll do a much neater, much more polished version which will then only need tweaks instead of overhauls.

Let me know what you guys think!

past-tense-of-draw

I think having the front of the box (as a box) on the front hurts the design.

Braile

mrjotz

Like I said before, this is VERY, VERY ROUGH! This was just a way to lay some ideas out BEFORE DOING THE ACTUAL DESIGN!

I'm guessing the (thus far) 8 people who voted "Don't Submit" without commenting didn't read that...or this, for that matter...

::sigh::

mrjotz

For those that did comment, would you have me take away the 3-D element of the box cover or just forget the box cover idea, which seemed like the #1 suggestion from the last time I tried this:

Previous Design

DinosaurVoodoo

Id defiantly take the 3D element out of, it makes it look a little cheap, no offense.

Bio-bot 9000

i think you should take away the 3d box, and just have it like the opening screen shot, or box cover, or something.

also, the title should be way more gothic and/or pixelly.

And i think you should change "get into" to a more active phrase. like "explore" or "experience" or "fight"

Allie_M

yeah people who think it needs work usually vote "don't submit"...not sure they understand why that midlle one's there.
I think this could be super cute, I really wanna see another version

stephaniep

the pixel graphics of the game makes the design really funny. i agree that the 3D box should be taken away.

making the cover of the box in the front part of the shirt is a good idea too, but it's not necessary for it to be inside a squared shape. Also, the cover image doesn't need to have the same shiny colors of the graphics.

murraymullet

I think it should be an epic battle between tons of pixels. When you explain things to much it waters down the real idea. I would think really hard about your message and strip away all the unnecessary ingredients.

PaintWillDo

make the front look like a video game box rather than just a normal box, and the back yellow box with rounded corners like the black ones inside.

canadianbeaver

Here it is. There have been video game type shirts on Threadless and they have been amazing. If you are going for this concept, the graphics better be fantastic and yours are not there. Also, the number one comment on Threadless will be "lose the text", so be prepared for that.

Try working on concepts that match your style and illustration skill level. You just have to find the right fit and you will do great!

TangYauHoong

Maybe on lighter shirt? Also i think it is not necessary to make the box 3d, just my thought

wallstreet

I agree that the front box will ruin the design. The back design (which should be transferred to the front) is really cute. People who like old-school games would love this.

Also, I think the box border should be removed (from the back design). It would be nice if you just have an old-school text heading that says: 'characters from old-school games' or something then below are the pixel characters. Text is okay as long as the font and size is appropriate.

MattCG

I like the concept - I see what you mean about the comments being familiar from the previous version! I think that making the front a 2-d look (more like a poster for the game) would be cool. Also the thing that always struck me about these games was that the box art was awesome - and the game looked awful, example;

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SystemID=2600&SoftwareID=1113&BoxStyleID=10&ItemTypeID=BOX

So anyway - if you go for the full fledged front illustration I think that the joke on the back would hit home well.

mrjotz

Okay, once again, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL DESIGN. This is just a QUICK MOCK-UP of the IDEAS. A cleaner more finalized version will be produced once the structure of the design is decided upon.

I've taken the game box completely off of the front and replaced it with the opening screen of the "game". Should I try to make the screen more "awesome" with characters?

I also changed the wording on the back a little, replacing "Get Into" with "Experience".

If this is the direction the shirt should go, I'll need to decide on the 8 colors so that I won't have to use any special printing for this pixilated wonder.

mrjotz

I've already noticed that I forgot to run wires from the game system to the TV, but since this is a mock-up, that shouldn't matter right now.

mrjotz

To my knowledge, there is no Barbarian Warrior 7 game. It's a silly title that I created for this design so that I could make pixilated creatures that look nothing like the real thing.

mossb

The concept is workable. I'd fiddle with the colors. It currently looks sort of boring or impersonal.

ozzy inbox

I like the back one and if possible you could put something like "in the game" instead of "start screen" .

that would be good, really want to see how it looks. :)

olie!

mrjotz on Jan 04 '09
To my knowledge, there is no Barbarian Warrior 7 game. It's a silly title that I created for this design so that I could make pixilated creatures that look nothing like the real thing.

You just solved half your problem. The whole "Barbarian Warrior 7" thing needs to go if it was just put there as an excuse for you to draw indecipherable pixelated animals. If that's all you wanted to do I think the design would be MUCH MUCH stronger if you just put the pixel animals you've already made right on the front of the shirt. Simpler is better!

systemfel

I would have to agree with olie, the pic on the back of the shirt is all you really need. The front picture doesn't do anything for the design. Just go with the picture of the creature (never, ever take away the giraffe, I love it!)
Also, maybe add some text like "Barbarian Warrior 7 - In stores now!"

mrjotz

I submitted something similar to what you guys are suggesting (just the animals), and they rejected it. Maybe I just didn't have the right context for them to accept it.

Click Here to see what I submitted. (Version 2 was what I submitted, and they rejected it.)

I need to figure out some clever context for the animals, which is what I was going for with the game concept. Plus, I love the pun of the blue dragon being a giant rectangle.

PaintWillDo

ya go for making the screen more 'awesome'. (box corners on back = yes)

oh, you might want to give the fierce barbarian on the back a 'sword' with which to attack the 'treacherous' dragon. (and maybe give a liiiitle more detail to the 'dragon' - just delete a few pixels)

Go-Thing

I think your "pixellated creatures" concept is great. But the others are right, too - your animals need a better context. This one takes too much explanation. What if you just had the animals, under the title of "And on the Fifth day, ((programmer name)) Created Animals" or something like that. If you want to keep the dragon-fire-person set, what if you drew a dragon and warrior really playing the game? Keep the TV set, insert the Blue Dragon Square and his fireball scene. In front of/to the side of the TV, draw a dragon holding a video game control and smoke coming from his nostrils, looking at a (Burned?) knight? I dunno.
Thanks for the comment on mine, though. I'll try it. :-)

jaz999

the only problem with kickin' it old style is you have to use the audience's sentimental side. Perhaps I didn't play that many pixel games back in way back when, but Threadless consumers either want high quality art or fan stuff. I like the general idea too but it's on very thin ice here. Go-Thing's idea wasn't bad. Showing a silhouette of a knight and a dragon on a couch in front of a big screen tv with the knight going "oh snap" or something similar also comes to mind. Good luck!

No account?