Close
One second...

Medieval Knievel

• by Ian Leino
  • posted Nov 14, 2008
  • 58 Comments

Early sketch version of an idea I'm working on. Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Ian Leino
Ian Leino profile pic Alumni

Early sketch version of an idea I'm working on. Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

OneBadMustache

That's a pretty sweet sketch so far and I like the idea. I would be tempted to add a few more wagons in there to make the jump look a little more ridiculous. Evil Knievel always jumped an insane amount of cars/trucks/buses and it might be funnier to have a more impossible amount of things for the poor horse to try to jump. I don't know how that would affect your design though, just an idea.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

holy balls this is gonna be awesome

Skilly

looking good!

Phiffer

I am PUMPED for this. If you want to go nuts with it a ring of fire could be added but its not needed.

chelly

stars and stripes (or whatever) on the helmet!

Ian Leino

Thanks! I'm trying to make myself do more actual drawing, and less computer foolery, and this has been great for that. Three point perspective has always been tough for me, but I'm trying to power through it.

I was thinking of more carriages, too, but am afraid it would throw off the composition or make the horse and rider too small in comparison.

Oh and Chelly, the sash/cape is definitely going to be star-i-fied.

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

This is brilliant!

Phiffer

i was also going to suggest more carriages

rhythmdev9

yeah this is going to be hot... stars and stripes a must... it reminds me of trojan hearse (my first t-less purchase)...

Retroludo
Retroludo profile pic Alumni

This is going to be heaps awesome, will be watching as it progresses

empiricist
empiricist profile pic Alumni

Great idea, it's looking great so far!

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

genius. this will kick arse.

S.Campbell

this could rock

hogboy
hogboy profile pic Alumni

print oclock

jensbackvall

This is a great idea!!!

How about just one more carriage? It could be sweet.

eskimokiss
eskimokiss profile pic Alumni

"I was thinking of more carriages, too, but am afraid it would throw off the composition or make the horse and rider too small in comparison."

You could have the horse and stunt knight landing in the foreground rather than taking off.

Great idea! can';t wait to see what you do with it.
Def needs stars and stripes

Skilly

I dunno, if you're up for it, you could have him taking off on the front of the shirt and landing (or crashing and burning) on the back?

Ian Leino

Minor update.

A point several people raised was the issue of having more carriages. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do that but still have it fit on a shirt, and came up with the idea of only partially showing the third carriage. That way, it shows that the line of coaches goes on, and it could be as long as the viewer would like to imagine it.

So, does this solve the issue, or should I keep thinking?

Rockslide
Rockslide profile pic Alumni

I think that solves it, its a great idea!

EricDiaz

yep simple solution, it's looking good already... It's nice to see some realistic perspective too!

Francesa

Perfect! Finish it and I'll give it a 5.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

looking good keep it going. Are there going to be Fans watching?

castle
castle profile pic Alumni

great!

empiricist

I don't agree with cutting it off. You should definitely try and draw more carriages, I believe it will look much better! You would have to scale down the entire image, but I think that it would still look alright! :)

BaronVonMonkey
BaronVonMonkey profile pic Alumni

Ha, I totally sketched out a "medieval knievel" ageees ago, but decided it wouldn't work in my style, so I'm glad someone else is doing it! Except in mine he was jumping over a dragon
But yours looks way cooler

Could you stars and stripes-ify his armour a la the real evel?

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

just make it 3 full carriages and i think it will be fine.

Cawthorne_the_great1

Stars and stripes-ifying the armor is a great idea. Flesh out the background with a minor landscape and maybe some fans and it'll be a winner!

Snurre

Great idea :) looking forward to the shirt.

jensbackvall

I think that cutting of the carriage as if there could be loads more can work, depending how the transition from carriage to shirt is done.

Could it be done in a funny way with a cutaway revealing a screaming/excited/elated cliché of a princess/cheerleader sitting inside the carriage?

Also, the knight looks pretty big compared to where he is above the first carriage. Maybe you should scale him down or move him forward or something. That would also make it seem more impressive in terms of the size of the jump, which I think was one if the issues concerning the amount of carriages.

Would you mind looking at this?:
http://www.threadless.com/critique/31580/Sexy

Ian Leino

Still need to add background and other colors, but wanted to show progress. Also, I really like the antique look of just two colors, but I know the Evel Knievel connection will be a lot stronger when I add the red and white.

Raid71
Raid71 profile pic Alumni

stunning

OneBadMustache

Sweetness! Your third carriage that sort of disappears works perfectly. That's what I was hoping for when I suggested more carriages. I really like the black and white as well. You're method of cross-hatching and shading does give it a nice old style look, but I agree it would make the Evil Knievel connection work better if he were red and white. You could always try just coloring him or just him and his horse or put very limited color everywhere except on him.

Skilly

Nice like Ice!

Fourcolours

Fantastic. And let's face it, the title is genius.

Sai Harrington

This is definitely awesome..

Can't wait for the finished product.

empiricist

Wow, definitely looking good!

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Excellent idea and rendering.

I would suggest pushing the launching platform (big part of the story) back a bit more and losing the staffs and flags and the corner pipe on the first cab so its more delineated/recognizable. Also, the horse and rider could move up a bit, doesn't look like he's going to make it over as it is now. Just nits but it may help viewers who just scan and vote (most of them) to get it at first glance.

Great concept, modeling, drawing, and style.

S.Campbell

cant wait to see the end result...

thewonderblonde

this is brilliant
perhaps the horse should be a little bit higher up...
but other than that i would wear this as is
one thing, placement?

Ian Leino

Added background and colors, and tweaked some the size and position of a couple elements.

Any other suggestions, or is this baby ready to sub?

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Colors are great. Ramp is obvious now, a little color did it. Love the grandstand and castle addition, they really support/convey the narrative. SUB, and a $5 from me.

Wonderlove
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Love this design (I'll buy this when it's printed).
Maybe slightly deeper colours (esp. on evel & horse).
Also the perspective works apart from the cross-hatching on the near-side of the carriages. If you re-do these using the perspective lines from your original sketch and also ad some on the far-side between the grandstand and the carriages it will tie the whole image together.

Retroludo
Retroludo profile pic Alumni

Oooh it's looking great. I'd like to see just a little more detail and/or color with the crowd and the castle in the background. Good luck.

EricDiaz

This is getting better and better! a future $5 from me too

Skilly

Lovely, just maybe saturate the colours on MedKnievel a little bit more to make them stand out against the armour, but cracking stuff.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?