The footy banter blog (formerly 'Tonteau!')

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 58
  3. 59
  4. 60
  5. 61
  6. 62
Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

I'm just going to put it out there. That looks like a total miss-kick to me. He's going for the other corner and slices it.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Credit where credit is due, mate. I think when you volley it like that, you aim for the direction of the goal and hope the keeper doesn't get a meaningful touch. I doubt he meant to put is specifically there, but he intended to score a goal.

Tonteau

Also, I completely disagree. Intent is everything. Look at RVP's goal against Everton. He knows exactly where he's putting it.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Tonteau on May 17 '12 at 4:27am He's looking in the other direction.

You don't think he was aiming for goal? Where else would he be aiming a powerful volley in that position?! He definitely didn't mean to put there, and it was hit and hope, but he was definitely trying to score, and did. I'm with fatheed. It was lucky though and not a great goal.

Tonteau

Bramish on May 17 '12 at 4:51am Tonteau on May 17 '12 at 4:27am He's looking in the other direction.

You don't think he was aiming for goal? Where else would he be aiming a powerful volley in that position?! He definitely didn't mean to put there, and it was hit and hope, but he was definitely trying to score, and did. I'm with fatheed. It was lucky though and not a great goal.

Ok, he's looking towards the other corner, I what I meant. I still maintain my position on hit and hope volleys. They just look a lot more 'wow' than they are.

SnakeMan
SnakeMan profile pic Alumni

here's cynical snakeman: you'd like it if it was messi.

SnakeMan

oh, definitely.

just not understanding how anyone can grouse about it.

Tonteau

If that was tony hibbert there would have been a riot.

I don't care about who scores these big thumping volleys, (and you'll note how few of Messi's goals are thumping volleys) I just find Matt Taylor style thumpers to be a bit boring. They don't require as much skill. Even the Papiss Cisse, goal-o-the-season wonder flap looks speculative to me. He's never going for what happens and surely that has to factor into how good a goal is. It can't just be on looks, there needs to be a level of knowing what one is doing.

The best goals are passed into the net, IMHO. Check the Aguero goal I posted again. No one in their right mind is expecting him to score from there. He's off balance, there's three defenders and a keeper in the way and somehow he switches his feet and finds a gap. That, for me, is a player on a different level, scoring a different level of goal. You'll see thumping hits in every level of football, by players of every calibre, I've even hit a few reasonable ones myself. But only at the very top level will you see a goal as good as that one from aguero, because so many players just wouln't see it, think to do it, or execute it.

SnakeMan

i think it comes down to taste. i appreciate the beauty and difficulty of a symphony orchestra, but i'd rather listen to metallica. one will make me clap, but the other will get my blood pumping.

so, i understand where you're coming from. i just love a good screamer.

SnakeMan

aka i'm an uncultured american bent on destroying your sport.

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

The speculative hoof at goal is all the more impressive when it comes out of the blue. It re-focuses a game and underpins that all important element of spontaneous drama that makes football the best game in the world bar none.

But, and I agree with Tont that the Aguero goal is an example of the best form of goal. It mixes intelligence with drama in a way that makes you not just clap, but marvel in the ability. I'm not in awe of David Beckham's free kicks, I saw a guy from League 2 smack one in last night in a Play off semi - it's talented, but nothing you can't practice.

Tonteau

Gar0 knows his footy.

I agree big booming goals are wow. (Thought Modric's goal against Blackburn was wonderful) I just appreciate goals a bit differently, now.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

SO!

Shall we do a Euro 2012 sweepstakes? If you chaps/ladies are interested then I can sort something out?

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Deffo.

And I'll get on the case with the Fantasy League if anyone's up for it?

Adhesive_Hippo

I've only just realized Footy is short for football.

SnakeMan

i'll be in ireland for the entire group stage. can't wait.

SnakeMan

i'll be in ireland for the entire group stage. can't wait.

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

The Falcao goal is Hollywood at it's best. Great execution.

SnakeMan

ok, so... in the US, we have something called the U.S. Open Cup which is basically our (pathetic) version of the FA Cup. winner of the tournament qualifies for the CONCACAF champions league. half the league doesn't seem to care much about it.

anyway, last night, the following happened: - a game between new england and harrisburg went to extra time tied at 0-0 - new england scored three goals in the first period of extra time - harrisburg scored three goals in nine minutes in the second period of extra time, the tying goal coming in the 120th minute - harrisburg wins on penalties

omgwtf

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

pure footie drama

amanitium

what footie drama? try Arsenal's season.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Redknapp back to Pompey?

I suspect Everton fans would feel pretty aggrieved if Moyes was to go to Spurs - I know they're in the Europa Cup but it's a pretty lateral move. He's not a glamourous choice and Spurs fans would turn on him sharpish unless hit hit the ground running and continued running. I think he'd be a fool to go to WHL, really.

I suspect Capello might be a decent shout for Spurs?

Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 58
  3. 59
  4. 60
  5. 61
  6. 62
No account?
Join Us