Close
One second...

I'll be buying fewer Threadless Shirts.

... Which is kinda sad. But then again, even though I love the shirts, I really can't justify spending $18 on a T-shirt. I think the price hikes over the last 6 months are, to be honest, fucking ridiculous. I know that you guys are growing, but really.

Threadless used to be a place where you could buy really awesome, reasonably priced shirts. I'm disappointed that getting bigger has betrayed the original concept that so many of us loved.

UPDATE: -laughs- wow. It's nice to see that so many people on the internets are concerned about my budgeting skillz. I kinda wrote this when I was annoyed and probably didn't really mean it. But it's nice to know so many people have the free time to put me in my place.

Watch this
mz. kat-ii

well the average price for a tshirt where i live is like, $45 bucks so $!8 seems more than reasonable to me

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Girls tees were always $17, weren't they?...if a $1 price hike over 5 years is too much, then you have issues. If anything they have remained competitive, and just recently dropped all of their prices...had you complained a couple weeks ago I might understand to some extent.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

$18 is still cheap as fuck. any garment cheaper than that i don't want to see.

mz. kat-ii

d3d on Sep 21 '08 at 2:05am
$18 is still cheap as fuck. any garment cheaper than that i don't want to see.

ahahahahaha!

Ste7en

forget the garments, where can I get this cheap fuck for $18, that you speak of?

Neon Samurai

Like Kate said, in Oz Tshirts are at least $45 each. Threadless shirts are cheap compared to that - even once you include shipping.

Cinnamingirl

But then, I never actually buy girls tees. I'm just wondering what exactly the $18 covers, really. Think about it - the designers are getting a one-time fee. We're still paying shipping. Even the sale prices are hiked from when they used to be $10 or $12. So, I guess a better question is, what are we paying for? Cause if they could sell them for $15 then, why the change now?

kayceislost

they've always been 17 before then...

Cinnamingirl

I'm sorry, if I EVER paid $45 for a tshirt I would expect my friends to have me committed to some sort of a mental institution. that, or take me out back and shoot me so I don't go around wasting good money anymore.

eskimokiss
eskimokiss profile pic Alumni

agree with the blogees and not the bloger.
$18 .. cheap as fuck!!!!!

Ste7en

Girls tees were always $17....mens tees were a cheaper brand tee, so they were $15...now both genders get Threadless Brand tees for $18.

The artists no longer get a 1 time fee, but a $500 bonus every print,

they also get thousands more than they used to when the prices were the same.

There are also new and more expensive printing techniques.

There is also a thing called inflation

Papaprime
Papaprime profile pic Alumni

the guys tees have been cheaper in the past.

I think the cost is covering the new shirts (since threadless moved from AA a while back) and they've also been printing 1 or 2 (?) fewer new designs a week than they used to, so it looks like they may be trying to recoup some costs.

They've also stated that they found a middle ground price for the flat fee, as it used to be anywhere from $10 - $40 for a shirt (I only really remember one $0 tee, but it counts)

Neon Samurai

You're aware of petrol price increases I take it? And the fact that the run on from that has increased most commodities?

You pay the shipping from threadless to you but they're paying to get the shirts from Bangladesh and their printers are paying to ship around ink etc etc add to that inflation and wage increases and it all looks pretty reasonable to me.

roadkill3d
roadkill3d profile pic Alumni

I think Girly shirts have always been $17... and you should see how much at other places a shirt costs

Neon Samurai

Cinnamingirl on Sep 21 '08 at 2:11am
I'm sorry, if I EVER paid $45 for a tshirt I would expect my friends to have me committed to some sort of a mental institution. that, or take me out back and shoot me so I don't go around wasting good money anymore.

Don't move to Oz then or you'll have to deal with wandering around naked.

mz. kat-ii

Well if you think $45 is bad, at a lot of shops here tshirts are up to $90.

Honestly, even Target doesnt charge under $20.

Papaprime

...one $40 tee I mean

QquegChristian

I don't even think you can get a Cheerios t-shirt for $18 at Wal-Mart nowadays.

The last t-shirt I bought before I found Threadless cost me $22... it was at Target and it had a tree on it... and it's generic as fuck and you can find it on everyone everywhere.

T-shirts at Urban Outfitters run $28 - $50.

Flea markets and CVS pharmacies seem to have Threadless beat though. You can get bald eagle shirts 3 for $20 at your local flea market. They're rad and they don't even support young talent.

Papaprime

I have to agree that I'd never pay over $22 for a shirt. I've worked in mall retail where the Tees never broke $25, and that has become my standard. So I understand having a ceiling for what you're willing to pay.

But even there, I have to repeat that most shirts are at LEAST that expensive, but if your personal ceiling is $15, I'm not going to argue with your opinion.

Neon Samurai

Agreed papa, though it might be somewhat short sighted to apply an American ceiling to the rest of the world.

QquegChristian

The norm in the mall seems to be $28 now. Yes, they always do sales, but so does Threadless.

Plus, if you buy your shirts at Hollister or American Eagle or Abercrombie & Fitch or almost anywhere else nowadays, you are also buying a t-shirt shaped advertisement to bring more business back into the store to buy more stuff...

By that, I mean that I can't find a friggin' men's shirt in a mall that isn't just the name of the store in vintage lettering... or at least the initials... or at the very, very least the logo.

eskimokiss

i'd like to echo leon here and say that if i were'nt buying threadless i'd never buy a tshirt for under $20 unless it was reduced from at least $40.
The shirts sold for around the $20 mark are generic cow dung that are mass produced and sold at derro stores such as target, best and less, and lowes, and one should only ever buy undies from these stores.

If you want to look bogan, be my guest. I'd rather support artists and purchase threadless, or upcoming aussie designers and spend at least $45 on a tee.

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

Just only buy during sales then. 12 bucks is cheaper than most discount stores like Target. I'm so sick of hearing people complain about this. Everything's gotten more expensive. Gas is expensive, that's going to drive the price up on everything because everything needs to go from point A to point B which takes gas. These people are running a business, not a charity.

eskimokiss

wait till the u.s becomes a communist nation (already on the way with the gov bailing out all these financial institutions) then everything will be the same price.

QquegChristian

I just looked through Target.com... their shirts are running cheaper now... $16.99 for their "higher end" graphic tess. I also just puked in my mouth.

QquegChristian

At least Threadless isn't shrinking their t-shirts like all of the products that are shrinking in the grocery store to recoup energy costs.

You should see a half gallon of ice cream... it's like a quarter gallon of ice cream now.

phones

it's like £8 to UK shoppers which is insane! you can't buy decent shirts for less than £20 over here

littlem

what they said up there^^

littlem

also, just wait for the sales if you don't want to spend that much

igo2cairo
igo2cairo profile pic Alumni

I still think Threadless is dirt cheap compared to most other places. Hell, I know designer brands that are selling generic-looking tees for $50, $60, up to a $100 a tee! Even a basic, blank tee you get at Sears can be in this price range. Calvin Klein blank tees run about $30-$50 in Canada last time I checked. Actually, everything is more expensive in Canada, because... I don't know, just because. So please stop complaining, they could raise the prices even more and it would still be a deal.

mz. kat-ii

and may i just add that the shipping prices to australia are so amazingly CHEAP! :D yayayayay

littlem

anyway, here have a beerrr, you'll feel all good oinside and then you'll realize how much you love to snuggle up with your threadless tees.

squatterjohn

I bought Ignorance is Bliss for $20 a couple of months ago.

I bought Foam Monster for $20 a couple of weeks ago.

Can someone explain to me where those prices have gone up?

igo2cairo
igo2cairo profile pic Alumni

I think the sweat-shop workers pretty much get paid the same thing no matter what, that's the sad thing. If the asshole in Thailand makes extra money I doubt there's a trickle-down effect.

mlnewco

just wait until a sale to buy tees, and then buy like 10 of them

Papaprime

Man, I guess I've dated myself.

I worked at a Hot Topic over 10 years ago, and that's when band tees (and nostalgia fueled tees) were $20-$25.

Have stores like THAT gone up? I know everyone is calling Wal-Mart and Target bottom of the barrel design tees for cheap, but if stores like Hot Topic are still selling non-store-branded tees for that price, I'd have to say a different precedent is obviously set.

hanzabean

" Papaprime on Sep 21 '08 at 3:31am
Man, I guess I've dated myself.
"

Was it awkward?

heheheheeh

Anyway, Hot Topic probably is still aboot the same. Self-loathing doesn't allow a lot of its customers to want to pay more than that since they have to stretch their weekly allowance to buy moar emo music.

radiostaticstar

when i started buying here in '05
women's shirts were on aa for $17
guy's shirts were on fotl and $15, $17 for 2xl

so 18 really isn't all that unreasonable...

shobattack

you have serious monetary issues

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i just looked through your photos and i see the problem. you're spending too much on hats, scarves, glasses and earrings.

squatterjohn

I just looked through your photos. You bought I Always Liked Your Porridge Best. Twice.

This is yet another one of those t-shirts that was released for $20. Because of the recent "price increase" if it came out today, it would be $2 cheaper. As it happens, it's now one of the many new thriftees that were also added at this time and is $5 cheaper instead.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

bet you're sorry you ever said anything now. that'll teach you to take on a group of internet jerks.

Krakaboom
Krakaboom profile pic Alumni

I would never begrudge Threadless a price change, especially in this economic climate. Things are getting expensive everywhere and I have no doubt their costs are rising along with them. The new price, however, is a bit inconvenient for those of us in the UK.

Any orders over £18 are charged a hefty customs fee. This is about $33... which means I can only buy one shirt at a time.

Next - shipping charges have also changed:
$9 - 1 shirt (old price: $6.69)
$9 - 2 shirts (old price: $8.38)
$9 - 3 shirts (old price: $10.25)

So, while it's now cheaper to order 3 shirts at a time, I can't do it. Which means the cost per shirt now for those of us in the UK is $27.

It's still a helluva lot cheaper than any t-shirt we can buy here in the UK, but I do buy a lot of Threadless shirts (at last count I had about 170+).

It won't stop me buying, but I guess I have to start being a lot more fussy about what shirts I buy now.

Which, to be honest, is something I should be doing anyway - I'm running out of storage space. My last 10 shirts are sitting in a pile on the floor as I can't jam them into my drawers.

jpiatt
jpiatt profile pic Alumni

I got this shirt for $0.75 at a thrift store:

The humor is still very current, it smelled like a mixture of B.O. and fabreeze when I bought it, and there is something that looks like a semen stain near the bottom of it, but I think it's well worth the price I paid. I agree with you. When you can get quality tees for 75 cents, why pay 18!?

ladykat
ladykat profile pic Alumni

Clothing prices everywhere are going up! That pisses me off. I'M NOT GOING TO BUY CLOTHES ANYMORE!!!

No account?
Join Us