Close
One second...

Your Favorite Original Soundtracks?

Yo yo yo y'all. I'm at work and the blogs are crawling along like a slug with its tail caught on the bottom of Grimace's purple toe, so let's see what kinds of original soundtracks you peeps like, which means any soundtrack from a movie or what have you that was made specifically for that piece, not just a collection of 80's hits or indie usuals. Or at least mostly!

A few of my favs:

Glory by James Horner
-I'm a giganto sucker for angel choirs and the civil war-ish drum beats, fife and washboard as well as the intense emotion that runs through this piece of orchestral soundtrack, which is also one of my favorite films of all time.

Edward Scissorhands by Danny Elfman
-Again, insanely beautiful angel choruses and a magical bedtime vibe to the rest of the tunes makes this my favorite Danny Elfman soundtrack of all time and the one I seem to hear him pulling recurring themes into his new works the most from.

The Crow by Graeme Revell
-Haunting and violent but achingly tender at the same time, just like the movie itself and indeed the fate of Mr. Lee in his finest film. Very dark with bursts of sunlight streaming through.

Kundun by Philip Glass
-A really neat soundtrack where Eastern percussion instruments dominate in a really intruiging and hypnotic way. A repeatitive album in the best way possible.

American Beauty/The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman
-Two simply stunning soundtracks from the same man, both capturing the tone of the characters perfectly with or without the movie playing around it. You know the characters and their motives without a bit of dialog listening to these wonders by themselves.

What about you fine Sunday Threadless movers and/or shakers? I'd like to find some more vocal-less soundtracks to listen to while doing stuff I need to concentrate on but have something flowing in the background...

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
TritoneXX

Damn, you already have the Edward Scissorhands out there.
That soundtrack makes me so happy with glee. Danny Elfman is brilliant with that Soundtrack.

Soundtracks I offer to you:
Nightmare Before Christmas
Garden State
Into The Wild

Now, off to be alone.

aled

great choices. Allow me to add The Bodyguard, performed by Whitney Houston and Saturday night fever by the bee gees.

spacesick 2

Saturday Night Fever was an expansive 2 LP set which featured more awesome fucking music than you can shake a stick at. and a song or two from it rocks my world about every day. also yo mama.

aled

On a serious note, the soundtracks to Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, 'Go' and Ghostbusters have all rocked my world at some point.

Jewstice

Once Upon a Time in the West by Ennio Morricone
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly by Ennio Morricone
Suspiria by Goblin

kayceislost

can i include videogames?

because i love the soundtrack to prince of persia: the sands of time for xbox.

juliejeremiah

Ed Wood --- Howard Shore's brilliant homage to the music of 1950's sci-fi and B movies, with a splash of Cuban flavour and theremin. It compliments the movie perfectly.

also,
Amelie --- Yann Tiersen

aled

Does 'The Simpsons Sing The Blues' count?

Jewstice

Space, I just listened to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack last night! When side A of LP 1 comes on with Stayin' Alive, its just fucking awesome.

jmeaspls

Hanenone - it's a soundtrack for an anime, but the orchestrated music is pretty much unrivaled, and there is nooo way you could tell. Almost entirely vocal-less (I think two songs out like 18 have words..all in Japanese). Click the link for a preview.

Moulin Rouge - yeah. 'nuff said. It's got words, though.

bhoomika

This is probably too chick flickish...
Notting Hill

FRICKINAWESOME
1 design submitted - Score now!

yeah, that's a soundtrack written for the piece of media, so that's totally included kayce!

Jewstice, I should get into the western soundtracks because they're all ABOUT the epic space of the frontier. Maybe i'll give one of those a try.

lol@spacesickie and fatheed. Dolly Parton wants her song back from Whitney's throat! Yeah, i like the Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction soundtracks too (complete with Steven Wright mellow-emoting song bumpers), GO! is great i agree, love the new version of Magic Carpet Ride lol.

Tritone, yeah, Edward Scissorhands is some REALLY emotional and wonderful music making. It reverts me to a five year old when im listening to it. Also, Into the Wild I've heard is really good, imma have to chgeck that one out too.

Also good soundtracks that are half new half old:

The Matrix
Natural Born Killers
The Big Lebowski

aled

Most things involving John Williams are win. Also the score to 'The Third Man' it won an oscar I think. Let's not forget the Pretty Woman soundtrack!

aled

Nightmare Before Christmas

FRICKINAWESOME

julie- i should totally get Ed Wood, I love that theremin action throughout the movie.

jellyes- That sounds interesting. I'll check it out when i get out of work and tell you what i think, thanks for the link! And Moulin Rouge is pretty incredible, especially the version that's just the original showtunes of the movie.

shakes- Yeah, i really enjoy The Royal Tenenbaums especially, it introduced me to Eliiot Smith and Nico more importantly. Those two Nico songs are mind-baffling poetic and wonderful.

lol@Death Proof diagreements! Hmm, i'll give the soundtrack a go when i download some stuff.

bhooms- I love Notting Hill, one of the better chick flicks of the last decade or so. Is the soundtrack instrumental? I wonder who does it.

FRICKINAWESOME

Oh crap Fatheed, John Williams is fabbo. Let me add Jurassic Park (the best repeat overture ever!) and Schindler's List.

Wardrobe, Ravenous! hahaha...that soundtrack wins for most effective use of a jew harp ever, narrowly edging out U-Turn.

TritoneXX

Into The Wild is pure bliss, so instrumental and calming.
Eddie Vedder did great work on that Soundtrack. It is worth a look into, the movie isn't bad either.

KaylaFOZB

August Rush - not the whole soundtrack, but I absolutely loved the variety of instrumental music
Wedding Singer - some classic 80's tunes
Almost Famous nice eclectic mix
Garden State - I felt the need to repeat this one b/c it introduced me to some great artists

DesignbyProxy

The Wicker Park Original movie score by cliff Martinez. It's worth checking out. Also the music inspired by the movie is also good, Postal Service and Mum stuff.

Me and you and Everyone we know by Michael Andrews.
It's got alotta Whirletzer style stuff, kinda fun and quirky.

and for Old school soundtracks.
Batman Forever
The Mask
Space Jam

I wore the casettes of those albums to death. They stopped working because I played them so much when I was little.

DesignbyProxy

@ Kayla, if you like August Rush. You will Like Erik Mongrain. Check him out on Youtube. He is incredible and his cd is awesome.

KaylaFOZB

I will, thanks for the suggestion.

It's funny, I have been wanting to see Me and You and Everyone We Know b/c you always mention it

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Ah, man, I love Ravenous. It's so freaking weird.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is another favorite. And A Little Princess.

I'd bold mine, too, except that I didn't.

KaylaFOZB

If we are going old school....
Dirty Dancing - lets not forget that Patrick Swayze sang She's Like the Wind

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Wait....I thought we were talking about movie scores.

KaylaFOZB

oops, just read the details

FAIL

spacesick 2

steve! that's awesome, man. those 3 scores are on my computer in heavy rotation, and the two leone movies are in my top 5 of all time.

danrule

Blade Runner by Vangelis

FRICKINAWESOME

Kayla- I didn't see August Rush bit i might have to check the soundtrack out. As for the others, you have violated the bolded agenda for this blog! lol. I like the Garden State soundtrack as well, a nice overview and companion to The OC soundtracks.

Rolf, Me You and Everyone We Know I should check out because i liked the movie and I now recall it being a pretty and achingly honest soundtrack. As for the OG wIcker Man, i love me some Postal Service so that one will go to the top of my list for download. lol@the old-school soundtracks. The original Batman album for me!

wardrobe, any score that comes form something that's original was what i was going for, most hit upon movies tho.

Empire of the Sun is also quite amazing.

DesignbyProxy

Wicker Park...not Wicker man...just so you know.

kayceislost

OH MY GOODNESS YES THE SOUNDTRACK TO ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW! CAPLOCKS EXCITEMENT!

but seriously, there are a lot of good / fantastic video game soundtracks that i am too embarassed of my nerdiness to name.

iPear

Badly Drawn Boy did the whole "About a boy" album, and I like him.

FRICKINAWESOME

Rolf, whoopsie! Yeah, i knew that just worte the wrong thing lol.

kayce, go on and throw them up here...I have a ton of original nintendo songs on my ipod as well as remakes by the Minibosses, The Advantage etc.

ipear- i LOVE About a Boy and its soundtrack! "A Minor Incident" is one of my favorite tunes by Badly Drawn Boy.

Also, I haven't been able to track down a copy on the internet or in real life of the Starman original soundtrack, if anyone possesses it and would upload it for me I'd be quite the gratafeul STP chap to them.

straw8erry333

I was hoping someone would bring up Dirty Dancing - that was on constant repeat when I was a kid.

Ginger_Snapz

Oh wow... good pics. I'll meet your "Edward Scissorhands" and "Amelie" and raise you with the following:

I can't believe no one mentioned "There Will Be Blood." The music perfectly complimented each and every scene in the movie, but also can stand on it's own thanks to the mad talent of Radiohead guitarist Johnny Greenwood. (It might be a lil too intense to fall asleep to, tho.)

The Pianist. It compliments my love of piano perfectly--very good tear-jerker of a movie too.

Once--I'm convinced the movie was purely a ploy to get people interested in the tunes. Movie: bad. Music: excellent. I'm a sucker for Irish singer-songwriters and male-female duets tho.

Il Postino--it's the only thing I remember from three semesters of Italian. Great movie, excellent soundtrack.

I also seem to remember loving the soundtrack to the Robin Williams movie "Toys"--I loved Tori Amos's "Happy Workers" and I seem to remember a good Frankie Goes to Hollywood song. But, it's been a coupla decades, so I could be wrong.

FRICKINAWESOME

How could i forget the immortal There Will Be Blood?!?!? lol. Yeah, that gets better and more appropriate every time i watch the flick.

Toys is a fun soundtrack indeed...i love that Tori song! That's a seriously whacked out movie but it's fun in its own chaotic way.

Monkey X

Resevoir Dogs!!!!

wullagaru

ghost dog by far one of teh most original

KaylaFOZB

Oh, I forgot about Braveheart - James Horner

wullagaru

also teh mission by morricone

FRICKINAWESOME

Neon- Strange Days has Tricky in it, so it's gotta be good! I don't remember the original music at all tho, i gotta watch it again onna these days tho.

Wulla- Ghost Dog by RZA, nice! My girlie's uncle has a gigantic role in that flick, he's the mafia dude that shoots the pigeon!

Kayla- Ah, Braveheart. It's the Scottish bagpipe counterpart to Glory's soundtrack, both are quite excellent.

KaylaFOZB

I need to find my cd, I don't know why it's not in my iTunes library - absurd

wullagaru

evan thats awesome

FRICKINAWESOME

wulla- hehehehe, yeah, he's a really funny dude. I met him a couple months ago, he told me a ton of stories about Ghost Dog and he was also in the end of Be Kind, Rewind and dished about Jack Black ("the guy always seemed really high and just absurd") and about the director Michael Gondry ("I couldn't understand what he said and he couldn't understand me, so we got along really well!").

As for the mission, an old friend played that for me a couple years ago and i really really liked it, especially the different styles of music for the indigants and the folks in search of new land.

jmeaspls

FA, this is really none of my business, but you seem to work some crazyyyy hours! You always say you're at work like, all night.

FRICKINAWESOME

hahaha, yeah i do, I work at an ER usually until 1-2am most nights. And then i stay up until it's light out usually. I'm trying to change jobs cause i can only see friends before work or on the rare day off and my girlie's gonna kill me if i don't find something at a more "regular" hour. lol. I've been doing this for over five years now, so it's DEF time to move on since if i didn't have Threadless, I'd be feeling seriously anti-social sometimes. At least i get to communicate with a bunch of fun witty people this way, in person or not!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?