Close
One second...

Did I get a bad shirt?

My shirt arrived today, and I'm not really happy. There are big smudge marks on the print where it looks like it was wrinkled when it was printed. Mostly by the neck on the back, and at the armpits. Do all of the shirts have their own unique printing issues (due to the nature of the all over print), or did I just get a crappy shirt? I hope that I just got a bad shirt, because I love this design and would love to have it on a shirt, but I don't want a smudgy, amateurish printing job.

Edit: I'm aware that some inconsistencies are to be expected (especially around the seams, etc.), but I think mine looks way worse than I would have thought. I should have phrased my question, "Is it normal that mine is THIS bad?"
Pictures of my shirt:

http://i35.tinypic.com/j090go.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/fd8zrq.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/208twdc.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/10n6wl2.jpg

Watch this
Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

They say some smudging is to be expected due to it being a belt print but you should show us some photos. Maybe yours was extra smudgy.

shibby558899

The "all over" look of this product was achieved by belt-printing the garment. The nature of this process can create minor unique imperfections in the print, most likely around neck or armpit seams where full printing contact cannot be made.

that's on the product page

Number OneBuyer

Yeah, all around prints tend to get messed up usually.

ladykat
ladykat profile pic Alumni

All shirts have unique printing issues, but maybe yours was worse? I don't know, but I think it's all sold out. So I say, love the shirt you're with.

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

I always wonder why they don't print the fabric before sewing. Would it really be much more costly?

StitchPirate

I'm aware that some inconsistencies are to be expected (especially around the seams, etc.), but I think mine looks way worse than I would have thought. I should have phrased my question, "Is it normal that mine is THIS bad?" I will take some pictures and post them when I get the chance.

francischtime

just looked at those pics, and i think its fine. wayyyy fine

think of it as your fingerprint, every1's is different!

miniaturemarci

I don't see anything wrong with it. Besides those are parts you wouldn't be staring at anyway and it really isn't that noticeable.

ladykat

Yeah, I have to say - all that is similar to what my shirt is like. It's really just how the process turns things out.

TritoneXX

That is actually not a bad print at all.

As said before, nobody is going to be looking there.
It's imperfections make it special. Yes they do.

littlem

well, if you're really not happy with the variations, the best thing for you to do would be to contact customer service and ask them their opinion.

contact

Red Threads

They can't print on fabric before sewing because printers don't sew the shirts. Plus the shirt makers are way over in the far east while the printers are in Chicago making it logistically infeasible.

The shirt looks like a normal case of imperfections - not really noticable tb

FRENDEN
FRENDEN profile pic Alumni

That doesn't look bad. That seems to be the same condition my copy is in.

Hinargaa

Mines the same way, but I don't mind. My shirt was also folded a bit on the shoulder where it was printed so theres 2 triangles on the shoulder with no design but it doesnt bother me. It gives it...its own..specialness.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

major risk in tshirt

ginetteginette
ginetteginette profile pic Alumni

it's a bit weird that they don't place a sheet inside the t-shirt (like a piece of thing wood or whatever) so that it prints on smoother. like the extra spaces on the back/neck area happen because of the front collar bumping up the fabric.
i guess they just do so many that they don't have time to use those tshirt insert things.

Cichan

I'm curious about how really belt printing is work, where can I find some article or whatever about it?

Smidgen Pigeon

I think it's looks coller with the smudges, I'd wear it

jet approves

i actually don't think it's that bad. i think mine may be a bit more smudged, but it kind of goes along with the whole zombie thing anyway.

littlem

mine looks pretty similar to yours and i love it!

wotto
wotto profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I wouldn't buy a belt print for this very reason. yeah it makes your shirt individual but if i saw a product with those marks in a store I wouldn't buy it. I know it's not threadlesses fault its just a process.

squatterjohn

Cichan on Sep 07 '08 at 4:27pm
I'm curious about how really belt printing is work, where can I find some article or whatever about it?

Ross posted a video of it in a blog about another belt print design. I foget which, but I'll try and find it.

chronically bizarre

yeah, when I got my shirt there were a ton of smudges and inconsistencies around the bottom, the collar, and along the side seams and in the armpit area. I expected some imperfections, but I feel like there were a ton on this shirt. I'm on the fence about whether I'm going to keep mine. :|

jet approves

just go with it, it's zombies so it makes it cooler!

squatterjohn

I'm sorry, I couldn't find that video. I think it was posted around the time that Elephus Maximus won the Good Loves competition. Maybe the blog got deleted or maybe it was in a different design.

ladykat

You know, if you're really unhappy, you can just return it. And then I'm sure someone who's been wanting a copy will be ecstatic to snag your returned one when they do an inventory update!

MCS4096

Mine looks worse than yours! It has some places all over where the shirt was folded so there are holes in the design. Just part of the process :) The shirt is fantastic, totally unique!

squatterjohn

^Yeah that's the video I was looking for.

groovyghalia

oh mine came out bad too. :/ i bought Her Hair a while ago, and it too has those humongous smudges on the back. and where the hair is supposed to "end" (which is right before the shirt ends), it continues to go all the way to the bottom. how it's supossed to look: http://www.threadless.com/product/1633/Her_Hair#zoom

No account?
Join Us