Close
One second...

The Sun Queen

Popularly known as the "Sun King," Louis XIV (1638-1715) ruled France during the second half of the 17th-century. The "Sun King" is known infamously for his revocation of the Edict of Nantes (religious toleration) and for allegedly saying, "I am the State." Not equally well-known, yet perhaps more important, Louis was the inspiration for the fictional character Dr. Frank-N-Furter from 1975 cult flick "Rocky Horror Picture Show." Shedding his regalia, dawning leather, hose, make-up, high-heels, jeweled scepter, and plenty of sassy glimmer, Louis transformed into the "Sun Queen."

Louis XIV's portrait was painted by the artist Hyacinthe Rigaud in 1701; however, only recently through modern technology has it been discovered that Rigaud painted a secret image (painted with a special glowing paint) of Louis beneath the one on the surface. This image is now presented to you as Rigaud rendered it: the "Sun Queen."

In the day he's "Sun King," at night it's all "Sun Queen."

Notes on Colors & Shirt: Natural glow ink on the "Sun Queen" and Soft Black, Gray, and White on the "Sun King." Heather Gray shirt.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Numinous

Popularly known as the "Sun King," Louis XIV (1638-1715) ruled France during the second half of the 17th-century. The "Sun King" is known infamously for his revocation of the Edict of Nantes (religious toleration) and for allegedly saying, "I am the State." Not equally well-known, yet perhaps more important, Louis was the inspiration for the fictional character Dr. Frank-N-Furter from 1975 cult flick "Rocky Horror Picture Show." Shedding his regalia, dawning leather, hose, make-up, high-heels, jeweled scepter, and plenty of sassy glimmer, Louis transformed into the "Sun Queen."

Louis XIV's portrait was painted by the artist Hyacinthe Rigaud in 1701; however, only recently through modern technology has it been discovered that Rigaud painted a secret image (painted with a special glowing paint) of Louis beneath the one on the surface. This image is now presented to you as Rigaud rendered it: the "Sun Queen."

In the day he's "Sun King," at night it's all "Sun Queen."

Notes on Colors & Shirt: Natural glow ink on the "Sun Queen" and Soft Black, Gray, and White on the "Sun King." Heather Gray shirt.

zipperking

that's pretty damn funny

chelly

great use of glow

herstine

mmm...delicious..

briancook
1 design submitted - Score now!

I want that outfit (the first one).

korr234

totally cool, but maybe a bit bigger, or higher placement?

Nice idea!

dandelion sky

Zomg! I remember learning about this painting in art history but not this new side of it. Awesome! $5!

Laser Bread

hahahahahahah! Your intro statement is almost as good as the design. awesome idea and hilarious execution! $5 and print

Numinous

I remember looking at a picture of Louis XIV in a history book when I was a kid and thinking, "that man's got some legs."

Yes korr, it can be bigger on the shirt - I really couldn't decide about the size, but it looks great big or small.

Merzi

haha, great.
But cha gotta make it approximately 200x bigger!

empiricist

HAHA very funny and great idea! I want it larger on the shirt though :)

kittkatt

yes make it bigger! awesome design!
PRINT IT $$$$$

slaterock

ahahahahahah!

Aliera

this is awesome, longue vie au Roi!

roadkill3d

I don't know hoe this will be printed coz I hope those are halftones.

Fantastic nonetheless!

Numinous

Yep, those are halftones.

aled

Ahahaha $5

gumbolimbo

That's hilarious and brilliantly silly. Much, much larger on shirt please?

han_nah

hilarious!

These Hands

i like his anklet. $5

DesignbyProxy

I mean it's a good idea, but that's and EXACT copy of Rigaud's Painting. I'd like to see it changed up a little bit more.

Numinous

Thanks Martiandrivein, I thought I drew it well. You are looking at four freehand drawings of Louis XIV - a closer view would show that.

brittamer

this is RAW

brittamer

but i do wonder about using a famous painting in such direct fashion

MooCowMoo

Ahahahahha, bigger please :D

4 fives

I. Love. It.

I want to wear this on my body. $5

EZFL

great!

lemonalle

ok, that made me laugh

ejaboy

original!

heykimby

I am so glad I didn't try to score that in 2 seconds. I really am.

heykimby

Wait up. Wouldn't he become "the moon queen" at night?

$5 for history.

ebbedebbes

Very funny. $5

Chiarandra

lmao!!! 5$!!!!

C Kid

Hahahahaha.....

ilovedoodle

haha, this is weird and great

DivineAna

I have no idea if this would actually work with the UV inks, but if it does, I want it.

FRICKINAWESOME

Great concept, just not feeling the the picture.

jean_warhol

funny concept and great execution

phantomspaz

This is one of the best uses of glow ink I've seen yet. Where were you for the Hot Chip contest??

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?