Close
One second...

How to ink

Hi! I just freaked out seeing that my last post was on July 2007, I felt like going through a time tunnel, one whole year seamed like a few months. I hate the feeling.

Anyways, I wanted to ask the designers community how they ink their art work, any special sort of paper? any special sort of pen? i can't seem to find the right way to do it.

THANKS

Watch this
ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

where you been Petanca? -

I just had a summer '07 flashback seeing your avatar

I use bristol board or marker board to draw on - nice and smooth plus holds ink right and erases pencil lines well - also sturdy cause I can get rough on an involved piece

I use the copic pens most - also pitt brush pens are good - and of course the micron pen mainstay

get a bunch of different sizes to keep line weights from being to uniform

or get really good with the brushpens

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

brush or dip pen and ink, really... and regular printer paper. Apparently theres zitloads of fancy markers and pens around, as well as paper. Should try sometime.

ISABOA

printer paper is tough to work with

but I so respect a nib and brush user - I just hate the cleanup

Petanca

hI!

I think Glennz doesn´t ink, he vectors everything.

Isaboa, I've been right here all the time, watching you guys once in a while but too busy to participate. Thanks for all the tips, i just need to google every thing you said to find out what you meant! (bristol board? copic pens?) I sure need to learn a lot. Brush pens are really hard i'm trying to use one but I can't get to the small details.

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

I use a lot of chalk paper too. It's semi-transparent. stick rough sketch underneath, and ink. Its fairly heavy and doesn't go wobby unles you use loads of ink.

ISABOA

yeah - I cannot wrap my head around a drawing done completely in the digital realm - I like it starting with a pen and paper

bristol board is thick smooth paper used specifically for ink work - it prevents the ink from migrating around and is just really great to work with - often it is called other names -

copic and micron are both pen manufacturers - they are precision pens, like for drafting and such - you can get rapidographs and fill yourself (i used to only use my rapidographs) but again , I hate the cleanup so now I go the disposable route - and the copics seem to have a bolder darker black than say the microns or fabercastle PITT pens

chelly

pentaca is back
i didn't realize a year had passed already
no ink here

Petanca

Thanks for explanations, that's extremelly useful.
Hi Chelly!
i intend to come back sometime, I'm illustrating a book now (200 drawings all by vector) is taking me forever and that I can only do in my free time after working for a million hours everyday. But I still love this community!

wullagaru
wullagaru profile pic Alumni

when I do ink my work its in a somewhat unique method I use a dip fountain pen first in half strength brown ink then I go back over teh things I want to stand out with teh full strength ink

wullagaru
wullagaru profile pic Alumni

I liek teh brown ink because black is generally too overpowering

Petanca

that's interesting, what is a deep fountain pen?

ISABOA

I am definitely trying that wulla

TUMikeVT

So do you ink your drawings first and then scan them into a computer to add colors and edit them? I suppose it depends what your desired outcome is. I haven't designed anything yet, but I'm worried about the eight color limit.

No account?