Close
One second...

In The Dying Seconds

• by Evotshka
  • posted Jul 23, 2008
  • 42 Comments

This is the true story of two people who fell in love and dared to love each other not only platonically but also physically. This didn't escape the prying eyes of their proximity. As they lived in a society that doesn't tolerate same-sex relationships they were sentenced to death.

This design features those sad stories of sex and death that happen far too often in countries like Mauritania, Iran, Nigeria or Saudi Arabia. It tells not only about homosexual love but generally about love stories that are so impossible that they literally break the lovers' necks.

Watch this
Evotshka

This is the true story of two people who fell in love and dared to love each other not only platonically but also physically. This didn't escape the prying eyes of their proximity. As they lived in a society that doesn't tolerate same-sex relationships they were sentenced to death.
This design features those sad stories of sex and death that happen far too often in countries like Mauritania, Iran, Nigeria or Saudi Arabia. It tells not only about homosexual love but generally about love stories that are so impossible that they literally break the lovers' necks.

juju eyeball

agree with homosexuality or not, this is powerful!
of course, according to ahmadinajad, homosexuals do not exist in iran. this is a great piece on a very touchy subject. nice job.

Jojolo

GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY BRIGADE!
Jojolo so grieved. The unique thing that I know is that she is Spanish, by all means as you you say so straight I cannot really read it in all…

lily-harlequin

For one thing, I think Jojolo's comment is unappropriate...

As for your design, I think it's poetic and sad, and a little different than some of the other designs. It's more about ending with a whimper, not a bang.

I only see slight problems with your design. Maybe you could rework it to not be so boxed in, and have the tree branches continuing, one upwards to the collar, and the other wrapping slightly around the side. I like this, so if the branches were fixed, I'd totally want this shirt.

EmoWriterGirl

Powerful and sad, but I think it makes a better print than a shirt.

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Nice style, and the rendering is well done but I think it's a bit to controversial to be wearing around. I must add it's a bit confusing as well, if I did wear it would I be expressing my sympathy or advocating such treatment.

Evotshka

Hi everybody!
Thank you for your comments!
@lily-harlequin: I would have liked to do the placement like you proposed but I thought there could appear a problem with printing because in this "declining reasons" thing they said the motive should be constrained to a 38x50 cm area so I did it this way.

@ quister: I know about the controversiality (does this word exist?) of the motive, but I think the whole subject of this contest (sex&death) is not necessarily suitable for a t-shirt.

@pathannagel: I had a real problem chosing the title because English is not my mother tongue and it was really hard to express the title in English.

TruLogo

Awesome concept!

TruLogo

Wish I thought of that

ejaboy

Heavily done! :D

ejaboy

$5!

Stan Gable

I wonder if people will think I'm gay if I wear this shirt

Jojolo

GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY BRIGADE!
Jojolo so grieved. The unique thing that I know is that she is Spanish, by all means as you you say so straight I cannot really read it in all…

lily-harlequin

Okay, I understand the sizing bit. It would still look good as a print, though, if it had to be confined to just that.

ElizabethT91

this is powerful. but i think it's a little too much for a tee shirt.

steffievee

I agree. I think the idea would be great for an awareness or anti discrimination campaign though. Design-wise, I dont think the right guy's arm should be over the shoulder of the other guy, I find it distracts from the kiss.

but good job, really :)

SK8N4S8N

Nice design. I think it makes a better print than a tee, only because without the explanation, the image actually could be mistaken for being anti-gay. A print would be seen by people in my home, not just on the street, where we'd have time for an explanation.

SK8N4S8N

Maybe you could add something, even text, that clarifies the meaning? That would make it a better shirt, imho. It's a very powerful image.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Whilst I admire the noble sentiment behind this... WOAH.

Evotshka

Again, thank you very much for your comments!
A lot of people said the motive was a bit too depressing/heavy for a shirt. I totally agree but in my opinion the whole subject of the contest (true stories about sex&death) is a bit too tough for a t-shirt. I would prefer it as a print (or on the magazine cover), too.
@SK8N4S8N: I didn't think that it could be seen as anti-gay. But if you say so it must be right. I'll think about what to change to clarify the message. But I hate adding text to my work :(

turbolucy

beautiful on a print!

diomio

that tree is splendid.

strikergirl36

i agree with Pathan Nagel

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

This could have been awesome if you had worked on it from here. In the current state, I don't think it works, but it was definitely a sweet idea.
What I'd change: if that's supposed to be a girl and a guy, make them have different hairstyles. Looks like two boys right now, to me. Tighten the nooses. Work on the hand, it doesn't work. And don't have it constrained in the box.

:p

Evotshka

Hi everybody! Thank you again for you comments.

@ Jellyes: Actually it is supposed to be two boys :p
And about the boxed-in-thing: I don't like it either but this is a placement-problem because the design has to be constrained to an area of 38x50 cm.
Thank you for your comment.

cloud_is_to_character

Too much for a tee. Design wise, the box shape doesn't work at all. The people are awkwardly drawn as well, with the nooses not tightened.

On the bright side, the tree looks nice. :-) Next time submit to Critique first.

ChuckNorrisHasTheAIDS

i couldnt tell it was a gay thing i thought it was a comentary on racism when i looked at it

DivineAna

It could double as both-- the ambiguity is kinda cool. The way it's obviously boxed in by the square shape of the deign is NOT. If you could break up the square, I'd like it a lot better.

kmeleepellet

no matter who was on it i'd hate it because i'm not interested in having two people making out on my chest.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT SECKZZZZZZZZZZZ RULESZZ

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

on a different note, the artwork is pretty poor...clean the lines up and sort the black dude's hand out

snoopyluver

the shirt is beautiful, but it could be misinterpreted (as in hang homosexual lovers) im not sure what you could do to fix that

The Knexnapper

Daring. I wouldn't buy it, but you just scored a 5.

HexagonsSuck

I think somebody might take it a wrong way while seeing it on someone walking down the street.

llamarocket

homosexuality has always been, and always will be, wrong.

No account?