Close
One second...

America's Independence

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Happy Independence Day

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
g3rpander

Lose the text.

Mr Anonymous

yeah, i guess the decleration of independence doesn't really belong in a blog about "America's Independence "

lol

deboraborialis

It may well belong, but who has time to read it? I wanna see more pictures.

Malcolm Man

American's can't read.

downtownregis

we may not be able to read, but we kick butt.

Malcolm Man

I didn't know you were in Team America Kelly.

Malcolm Man

Both my little brother and best friend are in the marines.

Mr Anonymous

i'll be going to boot camp in august

Malcolm Man

I know.

I'll be going to San Diego in August to see my brother graduate boot camp.

Mr Anonymous

send him my thanks for his service

Spam69

Ever thought what it would be like if you were still a colonial terrority?

You would be out there with your poor dental care enjoying Tea, biscuits ( rather than cookies ) , Rugby, Football ( the proper kind), films ( rather than movies ) with non-sentimental endings, excellent documentaries, shit sit-coms with nothing more harmful than a cricket bat to use in self defence.

Spam69

Oh and free but sometimes slightly dodgy health care, if that sells it for you.

Mr Anonymous

ah, but you assume that history would have unfolded as it did, if America had never revolted against the English, would we have ever abolished slavery? what would our role have been in the world wars? would we be unified with Canada? what of manifest destiny? or the louisiana purchase? these are fun questions to contemplate, don't you think?

cheers

g3rpander

Keep the homefires burnin

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Spam69

Obviously your knowledge of American history is alot greater than mine but of course history unfolds in the way it does due to chance events and certain people being ( or not being ) there at crucial junctures. It's that "what if ?" question. America would have always have gained Independence sooner or later but if it had happened say late 19th Century you Guys would be stuck with alot more English traits than just the language.

For better or worse. :)

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

you had me at the giant eagle

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

Spam69

Lol @ fatheed

Steve The Great

that cat dances in perfect time with my disco music.

Malcolm Man

That Gif is psychedelically orgasmic.

Neon Samurai

Is that the declaration of independence?

Malcolm Man

"Is that the declaration of independence?"

lollz. Sarcastic or not American.

Spam69

Cassie - that is one of the best things I have seen all year. I nearly wet myself. Who are those guys?

Mr Anonymous

cassie, most of that is historicaly accurate. lol

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni

Mr. Anonymous is your Icon Satan from that weird claymation movie? Just thought it was awesome to read how Satan feels about his hometown!

J-Ray

"Independence" is sarcastic, right? Do you really think America would survive without all the foreign countries they depend on for oil, resources, dumping grounds, foreign labour and other cheap shit?

Mr Anonymous

who are you?

i'm an angel

what's your name

satan

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni

yep yep

Mr Anonymous

it's sure a sorry name for an angel

stubby43

This is one of the reasons I'd struggle to live in america, I think I'd have to leave the country every year for this short period of time.

You attact a sense of glory and heroism to these events but the problem is everything you achieved by rebeling was already given to you and protected under British law. America was perfectly correct to resist the tea tax because it was an example of how the Empire was governing from the centre.

But the revolution should never of happened, Britain was ruled by Mad King george who was listening to a group of lords that were looking for a quick profit.

If the right people (William Pitt the younger) had been in a position (and good health) to influence the king then the American colonies would of been given its rights in the same maner that canada, australia and New zeland were given later on.

goldensara

Unless you live in the South (like Florida where I used to live) nobody really cares. They just like that they get a day off and get to bust out some fireworks.

stubby43

But you know thanks for making canada British.

Mr Anonymous

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts.

None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States. When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped. The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, war mongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?

If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

~Gordon Sinclair

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

^ what a wanker

stubby43

My thoughts exactly.

The reason America put men on the moon first is a combination of technology and politics. If the second world war hadnt of happened (and it was very avoidable) it would of been the germans who were first on the moon.

They lead the way in rocket technology, America was incredibly far behind and only caught up because it took german scientists.

stubby43

As for the debts we arent paying interest on, us Brits did have to pay interest and we only paid it back in 2006.

We (brits and the french) also created a plane far superior to the boeing, its called conchord.

fredsicle

FUCK YEAH!!!

gtoast99

"second world war hadnt of happened (and it was very avoidable)"

Yeah, who needs gays, jews, gypsies, poles, political dissidents, the handicapped... If we'd just let Hitler kill them all, we wouldn't have had all that silly death from the war!

Because nothing says "Independence Day" like capitulation for peace at all cost.

fredsicle

cheers to Mr Anonymous for sticking up for the USA
and fatheed you sir, are the wanker

Mr Anonymous

"I express to you the friendship and respect felt by my people of every race and creed in the British Commonwealth nations."

~ Queen Elizabeth II on her first visit to America

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?