Close
One second...

• by skaw
  • posted May 18, 2006
  • 29 Comments

Watch this
Loserly

Not to mention a ravaging of Tokyo on his head.

Robsoul
Robsoul profile pic Alumni

there's a freaking branch with leaves and birds coming out of his mouth!! ha

actually they're going into his ear, sort of like being force fed... the chinese propaganda, the japanses godzilla mania

OlliRudi
OlliRudi profile pic Alumni

from what i remember from tescos introduction, it's supposed to be a tribute to asia in general

juliejeremiah

There's not enough shirts with the Dalai Lama on it.

kibbizzy

why would you ever want to do that to him?

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

do what to whom? and hi audrey, I understand your distress, but this shirt is about buddhism and not a particular country. I've just ignored the politics of the situation and mixed up China and Tibet in a positive way (I hope) This is just a silly design anyway, dont take it too seriously.

audrey_2127

i understand you don't want people to take it seriously, but it's just a sensitive issue for some people. and i don't mean the whole political situation, i meant the dalai lama specifically. it's disrespectful to draw things on him or around him. he's a religious figure. i just think it's kinda offensive.

letum

There's a shirt on this site with Jesus Christ streaking...

tefem™

i believe in budism (however, i dont take part in their practices so i guess im an atheist?) and back when i was catholic (forced to be one) i found it funny to see jesus on shirts that are funny and poke fun at him, but there was this one design on here that potrayed buddha getting drunk, that did offend me. sorry for spelling errors (if any), i dont care to correct myself.

tefem™

if anything though id think buddha would find it if anything 'cool' because its not a negative shirt dissing the religon.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

i find this blog offensive.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

I think of all the religeois figures, the Dali Llama is the one least likely to take offence to a tshirt design. To think this would upset him in anyway is an insult to his intelligence.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i'm sure the dalai lama loves china as much as he loves everything else.

littlem

i like dollies and llamas.

audrey_2127

everyone's entitled to their own opinion! i guess i'm not liberal enough?

i'm reminded of the muhammad caricature published in the danish newspaper a while ago..

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

haha yeah but thats a whole different ball game : )

abeadles

mine is in the mail,
this shirt rules!

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

no wai! make sure you post a picture

queercat

how about this shirt as a world we'd like to see--Tibet and China and Japan overcoming political differences through a Buddist focus on happiness? I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it's offensive. Buddhism isn't obssessed with the inviolability of the body, like Christianity, so I don't see how having a beautiful Japanese cherry tree coming out of his mouth would be bad. In fact, I see it as representing the idea of "interbeing"--no separation between our bodies and nature.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

exactly

audrey_2127

any other form of representation of the dalai lama other than his original photograph is frowned upon. ask any tibetan.

Robsoul

does tibet even exist anymore after what the chinese did?

I mean everyone has these save tibet stickers, well it wasn't saved and the chinese invaded anyway while the USA and the European nations, UN, just stood by.... what is happiness? what is china? what is the dali lama?

oh wait, it's t-shirt... there are other problems in the world that you could help resolve, like the poor homeless guy in your alley, go give him a pair of socks.

UberRyan

i don't own an alley, therefore no homeless guy, therefore i need not act.

Robsoul

i didn't think you could own alleys, I'll have to make an inquiry with my realestate agent, Murdel

audrey_2127

oooookay. i can see why tibet is still not free.

rholliday

audrey_2127, at 7:16pm on Apr 25, 2006

I'm wondering what you're insinuating by that. I'm hoping it's not as trivial as it appears.

And yes, there are similiarites to the Danish cartoon scenario. The fact of the matter is some peoples' religious beliefs do not dictate how the rest of the world behaves. And on that note, the Dalai Lama has never appeared in a painting or political cartoon?

UberRyan

severrrrrrrrrrre bump rich.

rholliday

I didn't bump it, she did it herself:

audrey_2127, at 7:16pm on Apr 25, 2006

I didn't notice it was that old, though.

No account?