Close
One second...

Cheated

"A note about this product:
The all over look of this product was achieved by belt-printing the garment. The nature of this process can create minor unique imperfections in the print, most likely around neck or armpit seams where full printing contact cannot be made."

Thank you, threadless, for the notice (on the design page) a few days AFTER this design was printed. These imperfections are neither minor nor unique, instead, they are an eyesore that ruin the shirt's design , infuriates the customer, and--I would hope--offends the designer . This product was falsely advertised and I am sorry for any other customers who's products turned out just as disappointing.

Pictures:
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/nigarnigarnigar/?action=view&current=IMG_0863.jpg
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/nigarnigarnigar/?action=view&current=IMG_0864.jpg
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/nigarnigarnigar/?action=view&current=IMG_0865.jpg
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/nigarnigarnigar/?action=view&current=IMG_0867.jpg

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

Threadless clearly states what belt printing's imperfections can be WAY before this design.

Just return it and get something else.

Icyflames65

hah definitely not minor
i guess they are unique... but i hope mine doesnt turn out half as bad.
that honestly sucks man.

Papaprime
Papaprime profile pic Alumni

how level headed and caring.

DAMN YOUS THREADLESS!

Jokes aside, I agree, that amount of uniqueness would irk me a bit as well, glad to ehar threadless plans on making that more prominent.

goldensara

So the shirt was imperfect, why don't you just notch it down as a mistake instead of making a blog flaming threadless. Did you even contact customer service on this?

professorE

A Sharpie will take care of any imperfections and make the experience of buying this shirt more interactive.

nigarnigarnigar

So the shirt was imperfect, why don't you just notch it down as a mistake instead of making a blog flaming threadless. Did you even contact customer service on this?

How would notching it down as a mistake be any different from the original post? And yes.

professorE

Did you try a Sharpie?

goldensara

Because your original post made it seem like the big bad company is out to get you.

Icyflames65

A Sharpie will take care of any imperfections and make the experience of buying this shirt more interactive.

hahahahha

professorE

DID YOU TRY A GODDAMNED SHARPIE?!?!?

goldensara

This product was falsely advertised and I am sorry for any other customers who's products also turned out just as disappointing.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

I think it's a fair point. I confess to knowing very little about belt-printing and was unsure exactly how imperfect the imperfections are for this process. You have every right to be frustrated, but they're good eggs at Threadless, so I'm sure it won't be a problem getting a replacement or a refund.

nigarnigarnigar

Goldensara, I dont see how that could possibly seem like a "big bad company is out to get" me.

professorE

SHARPIE, MOTHER FUCKER! HAVE YOU TRIED ONE?!?

nigarnigarnigar

professorE, concerning the sharpie: I can only assume that the sharpie markings will fade in the wash, but do you know if it will bleed onto other items in the wash?

goldensara

nice reference professorE.

nigar: My point is yeah the shirt shouldn't have that many imperfections but this blog is a little too aggressive and unnecessary. Sort it out with customer service and thats the end of it.

professorE

Actually, a friend splattered bleach on a sweatshirt of mine a few years ago. It was a dark grey sweatshirt, but I put black Sharpie on it since it was better than white. I had to touch it up every 2-3 washings, but never noticed any adverse effects on any of my other laundry.

I was washing in warm/cold at the time. I recommend washing in cold/cold now, so it should be even better.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

With a risk that it could have turned into Stk Mountain mark II, I wonder how much of a pain in the arse it would have been to manually touchup the imperfections? Or at least deal with the worst of the imperfections...

I think it's easier to get away with fabric folds and other causes of imperfections in some patterned designs, but in a design where the belt print is a solid area of colour (especially black on white) there is reasonable grounds to be concerned about the quality of the print.

professorE

Like I said - touch it up every 2-3 washings or as needed.

nigarnigarnigar

I just tried a small portion, the sharpie ink is bluish compared to the shirt's ink. It's strikingly noticeable in the larger colored-in areas...dammit.

chelly

that's pretty drastic. how was it not noticed before it was shipped?

Icyflames65

nigarnigarnigar, I think from now on, threadless should just send you blank t-shirts and you can just make your own designs.
:D

[+duracell-]

When you seek quantity over quality, something threadless is getting worse about, you start to dilute the brand. I would think that if one knew about the seam and collar issue with belt printing, you wouldnt chose a design that accented those flaws and made it look so craptastic. Perfect the technique, THEN print this sort of design.

atomicchild

well i think when you use the word imperfection you assume the problems to be very little...maybe saying something like the imperfection may range from small to large would be a more true statement

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

it's not about perfecting the technique as the nature of the process this technique requires is what creates these problems. it's about properly educating our community of the problems before they buy the shirt.

belt printing has become pretty popular the past few years and if you have purchased any belt printed tees from anyone else you will notice the same smudges and issues...

that said, some designs are more conducive to using this technique than others and this one is on the super-hard-to-do side of the equation. a testament to that would be the fact that we've belt printed many designs before this one without people getting upset about the end product. pretty much the only way you could do this better would be to use an entirely different technique - print the fabric before it's sewn together and then cut and sew it after the fact. we don't have that capability now but we're working on it.

we knew that the goods we were shipping had these imperfections and we thought our customers knew about this as it's very common in tee shirt printing today, but we discovered we needed to make it more clear on the product page and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused anyone. if anyone had any issues please feel free to email customer service and they will take care of you.

casemee

Oh my goodness. I think that the little imperfections would make each shirt unique and show off how cool this shirt was printed. What else could Threadless do, sew some black cotton fabric to some white cotton fabric? That wouldn't look very good. I think that the printing technique is awesome.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

man ifdl beat me to the punch haha

casemee

Actually, I think that the places where the black ink doesn't completely cover the white shirt, or maybe after you wash it and the ink cracks a bit, would make the design look more realistic, like a dirty window or whatever it is. Haha.

[+duracell-]

iFDL, we flew to the moon 40 years ago. If we can do that then I'm sure someone can figure out how to spread ink correctly on a t-shirt. Im not mad, Im just saying maybe some of the money you guys make should be spent on figuring this out.

Talib

I think threadless should use nigar's photos in this shirt's presentation page because it highlights the "minor imperfections" belt printing can bring so the buyer can reconsider purchasing this shirt. I thankyou for the pictures, as I almost made the mistake of buying this shirt.

casemee

Haha, he beat you skaw because you were writing a novel about it. But that is awesome. It's great that Threadless is so active in the community and obviously cares about communicating with its customers.

Talib

Casemee, but the thing is not everyone wants those effects. The people who purchase these shirts expects to get what was advertised.

casemee

Duracell, that's so harsh!

And P.S. - The moon landing was NOT REAL. Come on!

[+duracell-]

Oh i see skaw. As long as you guys are trying then its cool man.

professorE

casemee tellin' it like it is...

...about [+d-] and the moon landing.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

casemee - that was actually part of our internal discussion too about the imperfections, that since the black represents dirt being squeegee'd off the clean white surface, it kinda makes sense.

talib - definitely, i agree. we will put up close-up photos of the imperfections on the product page.

casemee

I can't believe that people are getting so upset about it. I don't really like the design of the shirt, but the printing is just so unique. I actually LIKE the printing!! Looks more real. Threadless, keepin' it real. Jeah, boyyyeee.

Talib

Casemee, but the thing is not everyone wants those effects. The people who purchase these shirts expects to get what was advertisedbold

chelly

it is pretty understandable even to the common-man that belt prints are going to have some minor defects. heck, when i bought some 10+ years ago (yes i'm old, it was probably 20 yrs), shirts printed this way came w/ tags that explained why each shirt was a "one of a kind."

that being said, there does need to be a bit of quality control before shirts ship out. there's a level that goes beyond "imperfections" and i think the pictures above are a good example of that. not that threadless doesn't have EXCEPTIONAL customer service (they do!) willing to help w/ the return processes to fix the error...but, as a buyer, it is a let-down to get excited about a shirt and have to return it.

blah this is long, sorry. i'm just wondering if there is a step in the process where the shirts could have been looked at before being sent.

i guess though, for every customer who doesn't like these defaults , are two customers who don't mind at all.

/conversation with myself

casemee

Haha I SEE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING, TALIBCAPSLOCK

Well, sorry if not everybody wants those effects. You're absolutely correct about that. Some people are just perfectionists about their tees and will not accept a little bit of flaw. That's fine. I'm not saying that everybody should buy this, I'm just saying... Jesus, it's a fucking shirt. Haha.

chelly

damn. i hate being comment 50.

professorE

I know, chelly. It feels like you typed for nothing...

Madshadow

I noticed the imperfections, and I didn't mind them. I can see why some people would be mad though...at least there is a disclaimer now.

My main issue with the shirt is that my dog jumped on me today, and ripped a small hole in the shirt. It makes me sad, but I must sew it shut.

nigarnigarnigar

Yes, it is a shirt... BUT as a buyer you should expect to get what you paid for.

chelly

seriously!!!!
anytime i take time to really type something out....there it is, comment 50.

Obeese

I bought a refrigerator off Threadless, my main issue with the fridge is that my dog jumped on me today, and ripped a small hole in the refrigerator. It makes me sad, but I must sew it shut.

casemee

I see what the problem is, nigar. But it's just miscommunication. Threadless assumed that the buyers would know what belt printing was, and felt that they didn't have to explain that there would be imperfections in the ink. That was a mistake on their part.

BUT, they have gone back and put a disclaimer on the page, and Skaw has just told us that they are going to post some photos of the shirt with the flaws so that people will now be able to see what they're getting before they get it.

Also, for the people who bought this prior to knowing about this, Threadless is going to work with them for an exchange or refund or whatever if they're not happy with what they got. Sure, it's frustrating to get something that you weren't expecting and have to go back to get a new tee or your money returned, but Threadless has taken note of their mistake, corrected it, and will learn from it in the future. What else can you do?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us