Close
One second...

Swerve On/Swerve Off

• by crutch_05
  • posted Mar 30, 2008
  • 28 Comments

This is 5 colors with a sixth Glow-in-the-Dark ink (light green).

Watch this
crutch_05

This is 5 colors with a sixth Glow-in-the-Dark ink (light green).

lunchboxbrain
lunchboxbrain profile pic Alumni

not my cup 'o tea.

keithcw

Hurray for rollerskates!

maya_96

sweetness!!!

SaintRay

If this is on a dark colored shirt, I can't wait to throw down my hard earned cash and covet it. 5$

crutch_05

I was using it as an accent, but hoping not to distract from the design's simple composition.

Pop-Monkey

There's one HUGE problem with this design: you totally STOLE it from Kyle Baker. Did you think no one would notice such an obvious swipe? You changed the platform shoes to roller skates and fouled up an awesome drawing.

http://www.kylebaker.com/www/kbgiftshop/posters.htm

crutch_05

Just checked that out! Crazy. This is a design I originally did back in 1986 in a college design competition. No swipe action here, but it sure is stupid close! I'd rather pull this design than have something so similar out there.

jmayle

hot deisgn in the light and in the dark,5.love the colors.

Pop-Monkey

Oh, come on! It's a trace-job! I guess Kyle Baker stole it from you, then, right? Or else this is the single biggest coincidence in the history of "art". I just took your image and overlayed it on top of Kyle's -- it lines up perfectly. Fess up.

crutch_05

I've been an illustrator and a designer for over 20 years, work at one of the largest ad firms in the world and only just recently found this as a creative outlet... and have never stole anyone's work. I've TAUGHT cartooning for pete's sake. This illustration was literally a small part of a larger composition I did for an Art Club competition at OSU in the fall of '86. Like I said, I'd rather pull this piece than have something so similar out there.

Pop-Monkey

But you have stolen someone else's work. The proof is glaringly obvious. See, you keep saying "similar". It's not "similar". It's a tracing of a piece done by an established professional cartoonist. I'm afraid the burden of proof is on you as Kyle has been selling his piece as a poster for a long while, and it's appeared in numerous publications and websites. Perhaps you traced it back in '86. People who have been working in the biz for 20 years and hold a position at an ad firm can still swipe stuff. Teaching cartooning doesn't get you an automatic "off the hook" pass, either. I've known a couple of teachers who have blatantly swiped others' work.

I'm harping on this, cuz this is a big pet peeve of mine -- artists thinking they can just trace other people's work and get away with it. Either you or Kyle Baker is copying the other, and I'm betting it's not Kyle.

poobaunny

OOOO, you are sooooo busted! Looks like a trace job to me.

crutch_05

Keep harping then. I've been published numerous times in PRINT and Communication Arts over the years. I've never had a "need" or "want" to swipe. Period. And if you had teachers that swiped work to teach you then that's kinda jacked. No need for an "off the hook" pass, I'm just aggravated that a piece of mine that was done over 20 years ago has been put in this position. I've requested this submission be removed from this critique.

Pop-Monkey

This is getting sad that you keep insisting it's not a swipe. You keep tossing up "professional" credentials, as if no professional has ever swiped. You can have been published on the 2o dollar bill, that doesn't mean you're incapable of swiping somebody else's work. You can't argue with the evidence here. If you've no "need" or "want", then how do you explain this? Bald, cosmic happenstance?!

Don't worry, I've requested the submission be removed, as well.

poobaunny

If this is, indeed, your work, why don't you stand up for it and insist that it stay? HMMMMM?

crutch_05

I just discovered this situation when you supplied the link, Sherlock.

No need to worry, it's already well taken care of.

crutch_05

No need to stand up for it if there's a piece out there that almost dead on. I'd rather have a submission on here that isn't under scrutiny. I have two more coming soon.

poobaunny

But that's exactly why you WOULD stand up for it. If I had an original design and a near exact copy turned up somewhere and I was getting called out for swiping it, I would have just the opposite reaction. I would be thoroughly pissed and insist on a cyber-duke-out session with the swiper. It seems that your quick decision to remove it is an acknowledgement of guilt. I have spoken.

crutch_05

You have merely spoken out of turn. I'm VERY disappointed after all these years a piece of mine has turned into this. Quite frankly, I have other things that are more important right now and am not interested in "cyber-duking". I did this so long ago and just chose to use it as my first submission. I have two more that I did this weekend that are far better. Again, this is just a fun creative outlet for me, not the Jerry Springer Show. So let's keep it fun, shall we?

Thanks.

poobaunny

I'm not a "speak only when spoken to" kind of a gal. Enough of the condescension. Ripping people off can be a "fun and creative outlet" for some people, I guess. Oh well, to each his own. I also have better things to do, like go brush my teeth. Signing off.....

crutch_05

Good night.

Zak_aeon

HAhaha.... at the 'this is my design' with the up arrow...
Mate you totally coppied that.
Quick warning before you sub your other two that you have coming, people here hate copied designs and they will check.
Big fat ZERO for you.... shame I actually liked the design.

Pop-Monkey

And he still insists he didn't copy! Now he calls it "almost dead on"! It's a FRIGGING TRACE JOB, man! There's no "similar" or "almost" about it! You're either lying about copying it recently, or you're lying about copying it 20 years ago, but it remains crystal clear that you copied it. Fess up, take it like a man that you got caught, and don't do it again! That's all you've got to do here, but you're making it worse for yourself with the constant denial and credential-listing.

The original piece you copied is by Kyle Baker of a character named "Myrna Burner, Psychonaut", which was originally produced about 20 years ago, at the beginning of his career (around the time you claim to have originally created it). Kyle has gone on to become an award winning cartoonist who has worked for DC Comics, Classics Illustrated, Marvel Comics, numerous magazines, and animation studios, and he has produced many original graphic novels of his own. He is quite popular and renowned as an illustrator and cartoonist, and his name is well-known in the art and cartooning community.

The illustration you have copied is used on various licensed products sold my Mr. Baker (which he would not be doing had he copied it from some guy in college years ago), which are readily available on his website and many others. It is copyrighted to Mr. Baker, and he has owned the copyright on that image for a long time.

So, Mr, Art Director... can you still claim you did not steal/trace this image from Mr. Baker's piece? You've been caught, crutch, quite red-handed, and your blatant denials don't do much for your integrity. Anyone can look at the two pieces and determined a swipe has been attempted. We all do stupid things in college, so it is quite possible you swiped it back then, and simply recall it being an original creation, but you can't look at the evidence and say, "hmm, that's odd how similar the two are", though I suppose you might just continue along that course after all.

By the way, the image in your new avatar icon looks kinda familiar, too...

noirhawk

I doubt Pop-Money would be on your arse just for shits and giggles so I'm going to have to chime in with a zero.

Pop-Monkey

Hee-hee, "Pop-Money"...

Seriously, though, check the link I provided and see for yourself.

crutch_05

Again, all I remember is doing this back in '86 and this was a but a small figure in the overall illustration. And I certainly had never heard of Baker back then. Since it was so long ago as a student, yep its quite possible this was picked up. But I honestly don't remember which was why it was such a shock to see Baker's work yesterday. thanks for making me aware of it.

As far as my avatar, it's from a graphic novel I'm currently working on.

No account?
Join Us