Close
One second...

Finders Keepers...

• by Scootman
  • posted Feb 04, 2008
  • 35 Comments

With this being a work in progress, I haven\'t fully rendered really anything. Just looking for suggestions on how to render (i.e. solid colors, gradients, halftones, etc.). I know how to do all these rendering techniques, just not sure which one to use. Just looking for some good constructive criticism all around. I haven\'t distressed it yet. Kudos to \'soulfumeinc\' for the distressed textures he sent me. You\'ll see them soon enough once I\'m a bit more complete with this design. I\'m also thinking about putting a treasure chest at the bottom near the ship (hence, \'finders keepers\'). Let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Watch this
Scootman

With this being a work in progress, I haven\'t fully rendered really anything. Just looking for suggestions on how to render (i.e. solid colors, gradients, halftones, etc.). I know how to do all these rendering techniques, just not sure which one to use. Just looking for some good constructive criticism all around. I haven\'t distressed it yet. Kudos to \'soulfumeinc\' for the distressed textures he sent me. You\'ll see them soon enough once I\'m a bit more complete with this design. I\'m also thinking about putting a treasure chest at the bottom near the ship (hence, \'finders keepers\'). Let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Scootman

Also, not too sure on color scheme yet. I'd like to do a monochromatic kinda thing.

bafocomics

just an idea but how about little pirate skeletons tring to fight off the giant Squid trying to protect some treasure chest?

Scootman

i totally dig that idea. i thought about that OR some lil' scuba divers trying to do the same. in the original sketch, i had a little explorer submarine getting close to the shipwreck, but i scrapped it. thanks!

bafocomics

i think the idea of the original pirates from the ship trying to protect the treasure really appealing...^^

Scootman

cool... will definitely be working on that part of this tomorrow. hopefully i'll have the time to post an updated version. thanks for the idea, never would've thought of it to be honest.

bafocomics

hahaha no problem man.

Scootman

anybody on what colors and/or shirts would look good?

happy tofu

I'm not too into all the green stuff. What is it?

Elkrim

If it's "finders keepers," I'd like to see the tentacles wrapping around the ship rather than just sort of poking it as they are now, particularly since the ship portion of the design is currently so much less dynamic than the squid.

mnmcandiez

I like the squids head but his tentacles look a bit wobbly

Scootman

happy tofu: the green stuff is ink coming from the squid. his defense mechanism. i was just messsing with colors, so that's why the ink looks weird.

elkrim: i agree totally, he shouldn't just be poking it. duly noted.

mmcandiez: yes, the bottom tentacle is a bit shabby. i will work on it.

thanks for the feedback guys! keep it coming! i'm gonna need some more on this one.

Scootman

PLEASE READ: THIS IS NOT A FINISHED DESIGN
That is why I am looking for 'FEEDBACK' because this is a 'CRITIQUE' not the real design.

Scootman

anyone? bueller?

MissMollie

i dig it! squiddies! definitely refine things (more detail). as for colors, i can't help ya. nice idea!

Scootman

more help... please.

Scootman

does the texture on his "ink" look right? i like it that it looks kinda cloudy... just a thought.

Hi my name is

I think his ink texture looks right but I would make it darker using dark greens. Also I agree about the the arms of squid wraping around the ship and and something fighting it off. To get a little more detail maybe add the underside showing some suckers on the tentacles.

Scootman

i like that idea too.
the only place there are suckers on a squids long tentacles are at the ends. when i redo the tentacles wrapping around the ship, i can add them. i've also planned on adding them to his shorter ones anyways. oh, as for colors, i just slapped some on there real quick just to get things rolling for this critique.

bafocomics

its time for the version 2 man, GO DRAW!
GO GO GO!
lol...

Scootman

i'm working on it. a tad busy today... got everything i need though: pirate skeletons, tentacle suckers, more detail, wraparound tentacles clutching the ship.

Scootman

thanks for all the help guys!

happy tofu

Ohhh, I see. Why is she defending herself against an empty ship?

Scootman

well, she (or he) was either a. attacking the ship and eating its contents and crew or b. there's treasure on this particular pirate ship and the squid is the protector of that. like i said before it all needs some more detail and rendering, just haven't had the time the past few days.

Scootman

hopefully i'll be reposting a new version today! any more suggestions for version 1?

Scootman

anyone, suggestions? i feel like such a dick to keep asking... i'm just not very "networked" on here with a lot of people. sorry.

bafocomics

lol

just do the second version dude.
I´m waiting to see it!

rAmpantDesigns

I would love to see some bumpy-scaley texture on the squid, maybe some woodgrain on the boat. Also, shading would be awesome, like shadows.

Please check out my designs

Scootman

Ok, I dunno what happened to the comment I left for this, but oh well. I changed the tentacles drastically, and opted for radioactive skele-scuba divers. I need texture on the boat and squiddalicious. Check out, let me know what you think. Sorry for the delay on version 2. Thanks!

SquishyPanda

i don't get the divers. Is the squid radio-active? Are the oversized skulls helmets? The skele-scuba divers are too much WTF-factor, I think.

Scootman

see, i kinda like the WTF factor of the skele-scubas... but i like weird, so.....

either way, duly noted. thank you!

bobobob1230

it's crap like this that makes me want to delete my acct.

on the other hand, this kid is an idiot that we're all getting a wonderful laugh out of - myself included. i can tell ya what to do to make this a better design: print it out on a b/w laser printer and then wipe your ass with it and scan that back in and call it "my t-shirt's crap" because that's what this design is, if you even wanna call it a design, more like a waste of everybody's time. dumbass...

Scootman

hey bobobob1230, i don't check this very often anymore... however, how's "GO FUCK YOURSELF WITH YOUR COMPLETELY UNCONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM" sound?

No account?
Join Us