Close
One second...

How Caterpillars Do It

• by TheDood
  • posted Jan 07, 2008
  • 65 Comments

They just squeeze really hard and POOF!

So this should work fine as long as Threadless can match the normal black ink with the black UV ink. It looks good in lots of different colors and I can post some other color options if anyone wants to see them.

Everything in this design is UV ink except the black ink that makes up the caterpillar.

Cheers!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
TheDood

They just squeeze really hard and POOF!

So this should work fine as long as Threadless can match the normal black ink with the black UV ink. It looks good in lots of different colors and I can post some other color options if anyone wants to see them.

Everything in this design is UV ink except the black ink that makes up the caterpillar.

Cheers!

Raphe10

you sure you can overlap inks?

Audiovore

So would this be a caterpillar inside and a butterfly in the sun?

TheDood

yup, and the inks don't overlap because there are two different black inks - the UV and the normal. when printed the butterfly would have a cutout of the caterpillar since that part of the shirt is already covered by the normal ink. that's why the two black inks need to match for this to work as they both make up the body of the butterfly. i hope that clears things up and also that the color matching thing is possible.

slow_learner

that's AWESOME!!! $555

FVG

YES!

TheDood

thanks guys =)

tanango

bwahahahaaha $5

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Finally a decent use of the UV inks we've seen so many lame concept for. If it works, then im sold on this one.

kafferslee

I hope you can get this to work. I likey! $5

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Not a bad idea. It'll score really high based on the gimmick alone.

Chelseaoyesums

cute but it kinda looks like a turd that needs to poop

TheDood

thanks for the nice comments everyone - it took a lot of thinking about the different ways to use UV's before coming up with this one and so i'm just glad it's appreciated. and yeah Chelsea it looks kinda like Mr. Hanky huh?

fearingmonday

Sweet as idea. I don't like the look of the caterpillar though.

horizontal vertigo

i was really worried that this was gonna b a scatological joke when i saw what looked like a really constipated caterpillar n the title of 'how Caterpillars do it' but its actually pretty good. i like.

SnowOtherside

Really cool concept. The colors should be a bit more vibrant though. Also, make the caterpillar look a little more like an insect and less like a piece of poop. (No offense.) All in all, very nice work.

glamjets

Girls would eat this up if it were the caterpillar on the front and the butterfly on the back.

Merzi

wow that is some talented caterpillar! Nice idea!

jaz999

neat!

Monkey III
Monkey III profile pic Alumni

very gimmicky -- but very clever too ^^

abbster

Okay, that's a really cool idea.

TheDood

thanks for the comments everyone!

and to the people calling this gimmicky...i spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out a good use of the UV inks and was really happy when this came to mind. i also spent a lot of time on the illustration since i'm not the best illustrator in the world. so gimme a break huh, a lot of effort went into this, and none of it had the underhanded feeling that often comes along with the word gimmick. sheesh.

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Using technique for the sake of technique is gimmicky. This usage totally supports and conveys the central idea of metamorphosis in an unexpected and oh so relevant way. I love the expression on the caterpillar, wish you would have done the same for the butterfly. However, just a nit that won't stop my 5$

TheDood

thank you quister, i'm glad someone understands why this doesn't deserve to be deemed gimmicky.

cinderellas heels

I like it, I think that you should do different colour variations if you can but I think it's a fantastic idea

ANCHORESSE

i like the idea but the execution is too MSpaint for my tastes.

MissMime

I feel like the only time this would be really interesting is when you just go into light. Otherwise half the time there's just a caterpillar and the other half there's a butterfly.

elizalyon

If the butterfly looked slightly surprised, that would be even cooler, but it's a fabulous idea regardless!

gboetzer

I Love it! $5
I like the UV stylin, this site needs more UV!!!

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

I thought this was gonna be about caterpillars, you know "doing it", and I was gonna lay down some science about caterpillars not having functional genitalia because they are the immature larval stage of butterflies, but then saw that you had a different "it" in mind. Nicely done.

and speaking of butterfly genitals, the males of some species have light-detecting eye spots on their "business ends", that help in getting proper alignment with the correct species of female. so there you have it.

TheDood

thanks bio-bot for your peek into the absorbing world of insect reproductive organs, i have a feeling i'll remember that eye spot thing for the rest of my life.

so i think i'm going to re-design this one since the overall illustration doesn't seem to be going over nearly as well as the idea its self. i suck at illustrator, so i think i'll hand draw the next one... stay tuned folks. and thanks for all the comments, especially the constructively critical one's they've really helped a lot.

sciwonk

definitely turd-like

WhitneyBeth
WhitneyBeth profile pic Alumni

really nice concept. i might even wear it too, even though i'm scared of butterflies and moths.

BuFFeT

wow thats an awesome concept...if it works i'll definately buy it

DanC.

I love this design so much, I've even shown my friends and we concluded that it is the manlyist butterfly tshirt ever

gboetzer

thank you =)

gboetzer

for the idea that is, i'm subbing it today =)

TheDood

my pleasure, i can't wait to see it. it was good to see you this weekend =)

TheDood

did mike finish the video yet?

gboetzer

nope, he's taking his time with this one. they shot down the tree shirt for "overuse of specialty inks"...so i think i'm going to take out the moon. funny because i could have sworn i've seen shirts with 2 specialty inks posted before.

SheepMan22

P

R

I

N

T

!

!

!

TheDood

sheepman i love how you just go around saying PRINT everywhere, it's hilarious. and thanks for the support.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us