Close
One second...

Geek Graph

This came to me in a dream, well not quite but sort of, i know this is very, very different from everything else that ive posted here, anyway, any kind of suggestions or comments are appreciated =)

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

This came to me in a dream, well not quite but sort of, i know this is very, very different from everything else that ive posted here, anyway, any kind of suggestions or comments are appreciated =)

drewfarr

I like it.

Maybe instead of John Doe, have Joe Schmoe? That'd be more in line with the silliness of the whole thing.

At first glance Id say theres too much text, but it's alright when you stop and read it.

Kogepan

Your 1-3 reads "geek" instead of "freak."

Hilarious idea, but I think it needs to be sharpened up a bit, or made to be more illustrated (e.g., 3-D colored bars or something like that) to be more appealing. I'm not sure what it needs, but it's a bit flat.

If it doesn't work, here, you might try jinx.com which caters specifically for geeks.

Sadly, according to your graph, I'm a borderline freak/geek... lol.

againstbound

XD, yeah i just noticed i fucked up in the freak description, and thanks for the suggestion, keep em comin! (i think im somewhere in the geek levels)

Lock42

There is a bit too much text, maybe change the size of the labels so it is easier to read.
Id prefer Nerd instead of Freak on the labels.

againstbound

well i think the text gives it the whole graph feeling to it, ill try some other font that might help with that, and why not freak? i think geek and nerd are somewhat the same, and freak would be a different level (and i do not intend to be offensive, my french class nickname was actually freak ;D )

Lock42

I thought geek was a level above nerd, ie: Nerd + Social Skills = Geek

againstbound

damn, i gotta look that up

victor_lloyd

I know you got the inspiration in me, Louis and Pancho ¬¬ Anyway yeah! wii rules!

ellabeeinc

great concept... when you get all the nomenclatures figured out I would refine the actual graph, make it super geeky somehow. Maybe give it depth and a slight comic book feel... either that or go with the Napoleon feel of total hand drawn style?

ellabeeinc

... or instead of bars for the coolness graph you could use little illustrations of geeks etc. they would have to be very vertically stretched... the smallest guy would be totally pale, hunched over, thick glasses and game pieces in his hand... then the next guy a comic book and alfalfa hair... high water pants.... etc etc.
other accessories... pocket protector, star wars jedi cape, zits, sleeveless sweater, freckles, polo shirt, game paddle, notebook, wii etc.

if you did that you could illustrate what the words are saying and completely remove the words?

THIS IS FUN - I'm excited to see how it progresses.

againstbound

damn ella XD, those are some good suggestions, the thing is right now im working almost fulltime on my robot rights design, and to go the way you suggest it needs fulltime also, so i ll see how i can work them and get onto them, but right now i m really caught with my robots so it might take a while to get a new version, but i do like your using-geeks-instead-of-bars suggestions ;D, perhaps you wanna take a look at my current fulltime project

http://www.threadless.com/critique/11994/Robot_Rights

bloatbugjen

!!! no way is DDR more geeky than Guitar Hero!! D : lol at least DDR doesnt involve some joke of plastic guitar thing that is probably a mockery to most real guitarists... : X

anyway, this is funny- even though i definitely fall under most of the categories XD

againstbound

i corrected the freak description and added diagonal lines, dont know if it helps at all with the volume issue, oh and this was done before ellas suggestion of a more illustrated approach, is it so bad like this? i kinda wanted to go for a non illustrated design but if no one likes it like this i can rework it, anyways, suggestions greatly appreciated

againstbound

oh and jen, i just tought it looks cooler to play guitar than dance (even a plastic on), and im a guitarist myself and have some guitarist/musician friends that love guitar hero, anyway thanks for your comment ;D (and i also fall in more than half of the categories)

Jalindal

Excellent! This is brilliant. I would totally wear this shirt.

Ready for submission.

Although, maybe you could try a black shirt / white font version? Or black and metallics would be cool.

Fauniie

Nice Design mate, it's the right balance of simplicity and Humor, I'd say its pretty much ready to submit :D

homer80

ahaha nice

Physh

lovely. submit it

jpeacockdesign

john doe? i don't think i'd ever call a friend who was a nerd a john doe. and i definitely think cosplay is WAY more geeky than watching anime. i agree with guitar hero being the highest tho, haha

againstbound

dont worry, my guess is almost everyone in the threadless community is ;D (me included)

Lock42

What about Dork-Nerd-Geek
Nerd - Tech Skills = Dork

againstbound

mm but the high rated geek should be able to blend in with society as if one of them, thats why the john doe status is achieved

againstbound

Different color approach, better, worse, whats your pick?

Kogepan

I definitely like the black background better. Not sure what color text I would prefer though (leaning towards the white/grey). I realize 8-10 is a pretty much "normal" person... but I'm not sure if I like the term "John Doe." However, I don't know what to replace it with either. Norm? Mainstream?

againstbound

mmm i just thought john doe simbolizes generic and indifferent, just enough to blend in with society without being too noticed, is it that bad?

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Solid concept. It's funny yet the chart lends a certain seriousness to it. Like it's a reality rather than a fiction. A bit of irony in that. The fonts and chart structure add to the hoax and prolong the tension ("What am I looking at here? Why is there a chart on this person's shirt?") before the viewer catches on.... Good work.

Suggestions; Since geek is one of the measured species I think "Geek Graph" needs to be retitled so that it is inclusive. You don't want to appear biased do you?..... How about Socio-Graph (too close to sociopath?), or Sociographics? It's a non-word but appropriate. Charts are graphics and socio is the prefix for social and you are depicting the social standing of stereotypes...... "Daily could replace "Geek" Activities...... I don't think you need coolness levels because coolness is relative and it's not the funniest part of this concept anyway. It's the description of the stereotypes and matching them to their activities that makes me laugh. (I could be wrong here, don't trust me on this one)...... Don't touch the definitions, they're perfect...... I'll end with a question; How many people out in threadless land (a small amount being British) do you expect to understand that AD&D, (Art Directors and Designers) is a creative organization existing in the U.K.?

againstbound

huh? Advanced Dungeons and Dragons man!!!!! XD, thanks for the suggestions, ill review them more closly later, right now im off to make love to my guitar, thanks again ;D

againstbound

what about the colors?

quister

OOPS! I subscribe to AD&D magazine and it's the first thing that popped into my head. Love the gold foil, sends it over the top.

murraymullet
murraymullet profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

I'm just not really grooving this design. I don't think it would be scored high at all. I like your other work much better.

cloverstick

maybe you could switch "john doe" to "average"? i like the black and white/black and cream or sand versions best.

i noticed you didnt put world of warcraft as one of the activities, though the levels of geekiness plotted on a graph for that one could be its own shirt.

Kogepan

WoW on there would totally make my day (and make me plummet even further down the graph, most likely).

Average Joe, for the regular people?

I like this shirt a lot... but I'm really not sure how the Threadless audience would go for it. I may just like it because I'm a hardcore geek. :P

againstbound

should i add wow or replace one of those? maybe manga, since theres anime already, but what score should i give it?

Lock42

I think there is too much text, maybe try loosing some of the bars, and even the descriptions below.

ellabeeinc

dark shirt! for sure.
I'm still rooting for the nerd illustrations in place of the bars.

Less type is a good suggestion too. Because most of this audience (as you point out) fit some of those descriptions, the details may not be necessary? :)

againstbound

@quister- i think the coolnees is the thing that gives sense to the graph, without it people would wonder what the hell am i measurig, i think the most obvious would be just geekness levels (and i dont think anyne believes guitar hero is geekier than cosplay), as for the geek things, i didnt saw it as being biased, i just took geek as the standard, the average, john doe and freak being variations of that but geeks nonetheless, still ill try and see if theres something else that works better

@cloverstick and kogepan- actually avergae joe was the first thing i thought, i just kind of liked more john doe, aesthetically and conceptually, but ill give joe a try

@lock42- losing the desscriptions i thinks its a no no, i believe(and people have told me) its the best part, without them is just a non interesting graph, as fr the bars i could loose some, ill see how it works

@ella- i havent ditched at all your illustrated suggestion, i really liked it, i just thought, maybe i can sub it like this, see how it goes and if people complain about the non-illustrated i just move to your idea and resub (sneaky, i know)

againstbound

whoa! i wrote a whole lot of shit there, forgot to add thanks to everyone for suggestions and comments so far ;D

Kogepan

World of Warcraft could replace manga, yes. But... I'm not sure how geeky it is. It's pretty damn geeky. But it's also incredibly popular (I mean, they make truck commercials from it). Probably a 4-6 if you use it.

Sir_Minimus

this is cool. i was a little confused at first on what the levels meant, but then i read the rest of it. so... nice.

againstbound

well for next version ill change john doe for average joe, manga for wow, and i think ill drop 2 bars to make an even 10, thinking of dropping harry potter, but which else?

quister

As you said before, anime and magna are similar.

wisecrumpet

maybe try to simplify. There is alot of text on this and it might end up a little overwhelming. I agree that the gold foil would be great

jpeacockdesign

i was confused at this graph at first. i think it should be turned around, because if i understand you correctly the guitar hero geeks are more average than others? it should go from the least geeky (1) to most geeky (10). that would make much more sense. so go from average tech kid all the way up to super geek or freak. right now you have it going from 1-10 and 10 is your most average, it makes it very confusing. if i just glanced at this graph and didn't read the text underneath i would just gather that you are saying guitar hero is the geekiest thing.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us