Dragon Breath Revisited

I am wondering if you guys think I should resubmit this now that I reworked it.

I did an entirely new dragon and flames.

I was told that the woman\'s mouth should be open wider, so I can work on that.

What do you guys think, rework a bit more and resubmit, or just get it printed myself somewhere and forget about it here?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
DaniellesGarden
DaniellesGarden profile pic Alumni

I am wondering if you guys think I should resubmit this now that I reworked it.

I did an entirely new dragon and flames.

I was told that the woman\'s mouth should be open wider, so I can work on that.

What do you guys think, rework a bit more and resubmit, or just get it printed myself somewhere and forget about it here?

gtoast99

Agreed about her mouth.

There's a spot just about the snake-like head that sortof looks disconnected. It keeps drawing my eye to it in a not so good way. Sorry I'm not an artist, so I can't give you a more technical explanation... it just looks off.

againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

mmm i kinda liked your previous more abstract approach, as for this it looks good, i dont really know wat to suggest, maybe the tips of the flames could extend into swirls, but im not sure if it helps, nice going anyway ;D

DaniellesGarden

Thanks.. Do you think I should resubmit this design, or a slightly reworked version of this? I am just wondering because I got a lot of comments on the design when it was being voted for that it was a good concept but they didnt like how it was rendered.. which is why I thought I might try redoing it..

againstbound

well, as i said i really liked your orgininal one, but if many complained about the simplicty this might just do the work =)

Petanca

I like how this is rendered, but I think it needs some retouching. For example the color of the shirt could be one of those you use on the dragon, that would make it integrate better with the background. Also something needs to come out of her mouth directy, maby som steam you could make with a bit of light blue. Lastly i think you should give more texture to the flames. Maybe take a look to some illlustrations where there are flames. Good luck!

DaniellesGarden

As I look at this now, I am thinking I jumped the gun on subbing it even for critique.. It still needs a lot of work, so I think I will go back to this when i can and try to rework it quite a bit really.

thanks for everyones input

DaniellesGarden

on an orange shirt,

and i think the wings look cooler on the chick..

phones

ooh nice revision!

bearded dragons ftw

phones

i think you should lose the lady wings (they look good but clutter the image)

and i think you just need to work on the dragon a bit more

DaniellesGarden

what do you mean phones? I referenced a frilled lizard for the dragon head..

are you saying I should add spikes?

kireme_soen

I love the dragon; he's amazing. The illustration of the woman could use a bit of tweaking, though...I almost feel like we should be seeing her from the side, not from the current angle. Keep at it, I'd like to see this evolve. ^_^

DShawn

its awsome nly thing i dont like is change the dress color maybe.
P.S. how do u get those blank shirts like the orange one u have? i cant find the kit

P.S.S. check out my design its called arrows

rebrag

I don't love the lizard head, but way better than the stamped dragons

Demented
Demented profile pic Alumni

This looks awesome.

Only thing thats slightly bugging me is the colour of the shadow of the dress, I'm not sure about how it looks on an orange background. Have you tried replacing the blue shadows with like a yellow or an orange? Might just look good.
But nonetheless, very good.

DaniellesGarden

New Dragon... New Flames..

I like it on dark brown too..

I may have gone over board with the embers coming off of the flames, or maybe not enough..

let me know what you guys think of this version..

that was tough.. lol.

Demented
Demented profile pic Alumni

I think the transition from flames to the dragon is a bit too harsh. Tweak the bottom shapes of the dragon a bit more, so it looks a bit smoother.

The new dragon looks really really cool, very nice detail.
Perhaps try to get some of that detail into the flames.

DaniellesGarden

I do have more detail in the dragon actually, I covered it with the flames a bit. My original idea was to have the detail of the dragon fade into the detail of the flames, but then I got crazy a little.. Ill rework the flames some more, and try to integrate it better with the dragon.

dared59

I don't like the new dragon. I prefered the older one.
In fact I like version 2 very much!

DaniellesGarden

I might take the wings off the woman.. it doesnt really make sense that they are there.. lol.. I dig them though, so I might hold on to them for a future submission..

DaniellesGarden

hmmm.. well I love this new dragon, so I think I am gonna stick with him for now.. maybe I will recycle the other dragon for another submission too.. : )

DShawn

the dragon on the second one is way better. i like V2

DaniellesGarden

simplified flames, Im sure they still need some work..

removed the wings from the lady in the large version.. whats your opinion of the wings?

and overall of course.

Petanca

The dragon is cool, but the flames below are a bit too simple and plain copared to the amount of detail and texture the dragon has. I think the background should be purple.

DaniellesGarden

yeah I know the flames need work.. from my research of photographs of people blowing flames, the flames are usually bright white in the center and then only the edges have color to them for the most part. and I dont feel like that would work here.. So I am open to any ideas that anyone has about the flames.

my other thought and I almost dont want to say it (because its a lot of work, lol) is that I might need the dragons leg coming out of the smoke as well.just one.. and not the whole thing.. but I think it may need it.

KaylaFOZB

I think it looks more like a lizard than a dragon (even though a dragon may technically be a lizard?) Maybe rework the mouth and top of the head to look more dragon-like.

Petanca

yeah, go for the leg

DaniellesGarden

well it is a dragon head, the reference for the head of this dragon, is a "bearded dragon" its a lizard, but it is a dragon, but Im not going for that type of dragon, so i see your point. I will go in and see if maybe some spikes can help out the feel of the dragon.

and yeah.. the leg.. urgh.

anyone got ideas about the flames?

DaniellesGarden

new version.. spikes on the dragons head, no wings, and I wanted to see it on someone, so figured Id show you guys too.. the flames are different too..

DaniellesGarden

and i added a leg to the dragon coming out of the flames

3ddevine

Love the gradient, but it was much better on the brown.

againstbound

i know im being a party pooper here but i liked v1 better, the elemnts were better integrated (and i miss your original dragon breath submission)

DaniellesGarden

well its time to move on againstbound.. The people have spoken, and they didnt like the one you liked. So I had to rethink it a bit.. and though I liked the other version, I feel that this version has far exceeded that version in many ways.

So... that being said.

You say that version one elements are better integrated.. how do you mean?

My husband prefers that dragon head, I don't, and I know some other people here do as well, I just feel like it didnt read as a dragon as much it did a snake.. I think someone even mentioned snake on that first critique. someone said this one looked like a lizard more then a dragon, I am much more ok with that, then if it looked more like a snake then a dragon.

The flames.. well I just dont feel like the old flames go with this new dragon head.

Anyway, thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated. I would really like to know for this version, how do any of you think that the flames would be better integrated with the dragon and the woman.. I am going to make some changes with the spatter behind the flames.. but aside from that..

I wrote a book.. : )

Nathan Griffin
Nathan Griffin profile pic Alumni

I actually like version 2 of the dragon. I'm a rather boring guy so I tend to go for more earthy tones and less 'BAM' colors so when I look at the design I think "woah.. that hurts my eyes." I don't know if it's because maybe the colors 'clash' a bit (shirt color/design color scheme)?

There are a number of GREAT color picker websites out there that will give you a foundation color (your choice) as well as a LARGE number of colors that work well with that color. Maybe check those out?

Again, bein' a rather subtle, boring fella, I like designs that are smaller... and when I say 'smaller' what I really mean is... a GOOD use of positive and negative shirt space. And by looking at your design, the positive space seems to take over the shirt. maybe shrink it down a bit? You'd be AMAZED at how well detail prints on screen. Depending on the mesh used to print, you can get some amazing detail so don't be afraid to play with the size/location of the actual design.

Just my two cents. Overall, I think you're on to something and would say keep going with it.

DaniellesGarden

did the colors turn you off? I was doing a high contrasty pop out at ya kind of color scheme before.. someone mentioned the colors hurting their eyes.. I can see how that could happen, so I did this version just to see what you guys think of a toned down version.

DaniellesGarden

I'm really surprised by people saying that vs. 2 is their favorite.. when I personally think that the last couple of versions are by far superior..

I really don't get it, whats the appeal to vs. 2?

DaniellesGarden

bump...

going to bed soon so I just wanted to see if I can get any more feedback before I do..

DaniellesGarden

ok.. this will probably be my last attempt with the new dragon head.

I tried to use elements from vs. 2 with the new dragon to see if this helps things.

I can still go back to the brighter colors too with this new design.

wotto
wotto profile pic Alumni

Its really nice, could you make his facial expression more mean looking?

DaniellesGarden

with angled eyebrows? lol.. Im not sure.. I could make a few of his teeth look a little fiercer, pointier longer or something.. do u have any suggestions on how i would make a dragon look angry or mean?

wotto
wotto profile pic Alumni

maybe angled eyebrows, may help if he was looking forward(by moving the pupils). Also do the teeth extensions. Make him a fierce mother.

againstbound

what i meant about the elements being more integrated is that in v1 it seems the dragon is being made by the flames, and in this one it seems more like its overlapping

DaniellesGarden

scarier eyes and teeth, and I tweaked the flames a bit to make them look more like they were forming the dragon.

5napple

that's really cool

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us