Close
One second...

Funky Monkey

I already submitted this for critique, but I accidentally deleted it after some technical problems with the site while I was trying to upload my second version of this, so, I am re-uploading this version so you can see where the design started.

Watch this
PFK

I already submitted this for critique, but I accidentally deleted it after some technical problems with the site while I was trying to upload my second version of this, so, I am re-uploading this version so you can see where the design started.

PFK

Forgive me if this posts twice but for some reason I am having problems tonight with things I posted on here showing up... even after waiting a little bit and refreshing the page.

==============================

Per suggestion I added detail to the arms, legs, and tail. I also changed the colors of the monkey's body slightly because I felt it looks better with the new detail.

Also by suggestion, I made the monkey smaller. I did not move it to the corner because I wanted to get some more opinions on the placement of the design now that it is a little smaller. Personally, I like it better in the middle, so, I want to see what everyone else thinks.

nickgoonar

I think the monkey should be more detailed, if at all possible...I like the idea.

umbrellaboy

i would go for the more details too.. also - the tail isn't very smooth - it has too sharp edges. it needs more smooth curves.

the ears does also look a bit strange to me..
the headphones should cover the ears entirely - it looks like the ears come out behind the headphones - i dont really get that :D

cool drawing, but needs some work :)

DaniellesGarden

The problem you are going to have with this design is the same problem I recently had with one of my own. Its been done before. quite a few times, so you are going to need to add a very different spin on it for it to work I think.. Here is what I am talking about..

submissions with keyword sock monkey

There may even be more..

btw, not saying your design is bad, but I don't know that a sock monkey listening to headphones is gonna be different enough..

just my thoughts.

tigersnack

ooh sock monkeys always get my vote!! this is a cutie too, not sure what's been done in the past though..will check it out ;)

tigersnack

I just saw a few from Danielles link, I think your illustration is stronger! ;)

BellicoseButterfly

Love sock monkeys. This is very cute. Though I think the position of the design is a little simple. Maybe making it bigger and putting it in the bottom right? Thats just me thou.

quister

The twist/concept here is an object known to be inanimate coming to life. The head phones are important in conveying that. I'd take the hands away from the headphones and invest some time in their rendering. Lose the notes, they overstate/ham up the concept. The monkey is somewhat droopy, not very active and as a result, doesn't fully support and convey the animated idea. Look at the body language of the I Pod silhouettes for example. They're rockin, groovin, and shakin, leaving no doubt that they're enjoying the music. It's true that sock monkeys, a tired cliche of infant comfort, have been done before. The challenge is to revitalize the cliche by seeing it in an unexpected way. For instance, a monster under a child's bed is a cliche but a recent advertisement for Cadburys has a menacing child under the bed and the monster on the bed cowering in fear. The ad was for a reverse candy bar (wafer on the outside, chocolate in the middle). Likewise, a sock monkey cuddling a child would be an unexpected twist using reversal to rejuvenate the cliche. DaniellesGarden's comment that you need to put a different spin on it is (or should be) the goal of any artist striving for uniqueness. In other words, you need to explore how you can make your monkey distinctly different from all the other sock monkeys out there. Also, make sure you look at "Sock Monkey Crew" (dancing monkeys) at the site DG put up before you go on.

alphadam

not a big fan of sock monkeys, i cant really tell the headfones are there, drop the hands. Im not sure if the musical notes are helping you or hurting you, play with theyre arrangement a bit more, maybe less of them. i think it should be bigger overall, i know u just shrank it but that is my opinion.

jimmiiko

thanks for the comments. Have the line quality carry some different weights (thins to thicks to indicate where the shadows might be). Push the concept a little further though. What makes him funky? Hope that helps... i'm horrible at critiquing

mitchelhunt

Cool, but I think the tail, legs and arms should be less rough and more smooth.

Dot Koko

I like the idea, but I think it needs more. The monkey could maybe use a little shading, and I agree with jimmiiko about the line weight.

roadkill3d

quister's comment ftw...

No account?