Close
One second...

Organ donation...

Who out there is an organ donor?

If you are, how did you arrive at this decision?

If not, what kept you from doing so?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
splend0r

i will when i turn 18.

who wouldnt want to save someone else's life?!!?

radiostaticstar

i am.

i did it when i got my license at 16,
i figured, if i died, what do i care where my organs go?
either way i'm still bound to become fertilizer,
but if it can save or improve someone's life, why not?

margolove

I am!

I just said yes when I was sixteen and got my learner's permit.

I didn't really think about it. I mean, my religious beliefs certainly don't prevent me from doing so, so why the hell not?

ianrose

I am. I figure once I'm dead, I'm meat. If no one's going to eat me, you might as well have my kidneys and eyes.

margolove

but the eyes are the most delicious part!

kevinwells

i'm not

but not because i don't want to be

i just didn't think to check the little box when i got my license

actually, i own a Necro Card that specifically states that i want my body to go to sexual exploration once i die. that's kind of like organ donation, right? i mean, if someone wants to fuck my pancreas, there's not a normal waiting list for that kind of thing

(ps, the necro card is a joke, just in case anyone thinks i'm creepy. i mean, it's not a joke that i have one -- i do... i just don't actually want someone to fuck my liver)

ianrose

They don't want to eat you, they just want to eat your sweet, sweet eye juice.

margolove

AHAHAHA EXACTLY

oh my god it makes me so happy when people quote The Simpsons because I have a sad and almost encyclopedic knowledge of it.

ianrose

Margo: Word.

Audiovore

Well for one the heart on the WA ids is not really aesthetically pleasing, had it been I would never had thought seriously about it. I have chosen not to for now, cause even though I accept death as an eventuality, and greet each morning with, 'today is a good day to die', I just felt weird knowing my organs would go into someone else. I'll probably die in a 3rd world country in Latin America or Africa anyway, and who knows what happens then, that is if I'm not killed by rebels or something and buried in a shallow grave.

PS - Biology in general irks me.

ianrose

Biology is great. Basically, I take comfort in knowing that the carbon in my body will be in any number of different organisms after I die. But, still, if some blind kid or some person on dialysis can have a slightly less crappy life after I'm dead, that's fantastic.

ianrose

Yeah, hating biology is like saying you hate physics. You can't really get away from the basic physical sciences, so you better learn to get along with them.

Jewstice

No, I choose not to be. For one, the entire health care system is fucked, and I don't believe that the organs are going specifically to those that need them most. Also, the technological advances that are taking place in health care seem to be causing widespread overpopulation with the increased life expectancy.

radiostaticstar

i must admit, the heart on wa. st. license is a little awkward...

ianrose

Gravity is the bomb. It's the most unappreciated force ever. Without a universal law, there is no gravity. Without no gravity, there is no atmosphere. Without no atmosphere, there is no chance at life and with no chance at life, I don't exist.

ianrose

Good. It's not just a good idea.

mooseinmyshoe

they're mine and you can have them when im dead!

HI IAN!

ianrose

YAY FOR THE MOOSE.

you really ARE my superhero. I was totally waiting for someone I knew to be on here. I'm shitfaced, moose.

ianrose

Annnnnd ... moose goes away.

professorE

Continuing to collect answers/opinions.

hanzabean

I'm an organ donor.
At least that way, if someone needs my heart or lungs or summat, zombies can't eat it.

hee hee!

also... helping people isn't that bad, sometimes.

Roostersauce

I am not, which makes me feel bad sometimes, but I'm paranoid. I just have a general mistrust of people. I just feel like if they could use my organs to save five people...they might just let me go. Which I know is untrue..but it freaks me out. I'm not ready to go. I'll most likely be one when I'm older

Jewstice

Monty Python's "Live Organ Donation"

professorE

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Taylors_rad

i am going to sign up for it when i get my liscense.
i dont need my organs when i die, i rather save another persons life if i could.

phones

a man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm

erm......i really need to sort out my organ donation- if i do i want a copy of dj shadow's 'organ donor' to come with my vitals

Bramish

I am. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be. Once I'm gone, I'd rather my body gets used to help others rather than just burned up or left to rot somewhere.

littlem

i am.
i just decided to do it in case anyone needs me after i go.

Bramish

My organs aren't in great shape though, well particularly my liver and kidney.

littlem

and how bout your dingdong?

littlem

omg

Bramish

You tell me.

littlem

*hmm let's seee...grope grope fondle fondle...
feels healthy and perky to me.

littlem

gerp said it does the job just fine.

phones

put that down!

that's a nuclear missile in disguise, littlem!

littlem

what?? it must not be too powerful, it's the size of my pinky finger!

Noodlegirl

I'm not and i really dont know why not ... I just didnt feel like it a few years ago i guess

whisper in water

I am an organ donor. I just know a lot of people who have gone through a lot of shit on waiting lists, and I mean, it's not like I'm going to need my kidneys when I'm dead. I will literally be dead.

jet approves

i'm not, i don't think they let me when i turned 16 and got my license. i will when i have to get it renewed though.

professorE

Yeah, whisper. I was on the waiting list for a K/P transplant (kindey/pancreas) for just over a year, and was on dialysis for two years. I had been diabetic for 22 years, which led to my kidney failure.

I had several friends/family members who wanted to donate a kidney, but I wanted to get both at the same time. Partially because if i had a donated kidney and was still diabetic, there would be that much more danger to the new kidney. Also, There is more risk of rejection with organs from two different donors. Third, the waiting list for a PAK (pancreas after kidney) is much longer. Additionally, I didn't want to go through two different surgeries.

My health was failing quickly towards the end of my wait, and I was moved up the list because of the urgency. I had my transplants on Dec. 29, 2006.

My donor was a man 11 years my junior who had been shot on Christmas Eve 2006, and his family waited to take him off of life support until they could make arrangements for all of his organs (heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, pancreas) to be donated.

juliejeremiah

I'm a donor....if I end up in a car wreck or something, why should my healthy young organs go to waste?

professorE

Yeah, Khol, my girlfriend gives blood as often as possible and is a marrow donor. Most of my friends signed up to be organ donors after I started dialysis.

margolove

I love giving blood.

I'm going to this Wednesday because my friends organized a blood drive at our high school... I'm excited!

jet approves

i was really afraid to give blood, but my sister talked me into it and it wasn't bad at all. it was actually kind of fun to know that you're helping and then getting to eat the snacks afterwards.

ianrose

I actually like it too. I like watching my blood go up the tube. Weird, probably, but I do.

margolove

ME TOO, IAN

that weirds everyone out, but it's really cool to watch it get sucked out of you.

Last time I did it the woman asked if I was scared, because I was looking over the side, and I was like "nope, I'm just watching because I think it's cool as hell"

jet approves

hahahah

i think it's weird how they have that little device that cradles the bag of blood.

ianrose

I like things that remind me of my constituent parts. Seeing the blood go up the tube reminds you about blood ... otherwise I forget about parts and take all the mechanical and chemical body stuff for granted, and its really quite amazing stuff, deserving of such reminders. It's like when I was ten and I broke my arm, and it hurt some, but more so, I was just really excited to be reminded that there was this solid thing in my arm that could break.

margolove

that's exactly why I like it, too :)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?