One second...

Announcing new inks and print methods for artists to use in their designs!

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted Nov 05, 2007

When we started Threadless back in 2000, designs were printed using fairly basic screen printing methods. With the launch of our Select line in 2006, we began to encourage artists to explore new inks and printing techniques allowing them more creative involvement during production. We decided to end the separation between regular Threadless tees and Threadless Select tees by offering the use of all inks and printing techniques that we use for Select to any artist that submits.

This is super exciting for everyone! Before today, most chosen designs were printed with plastisol inks, some with a chino additive and a few with water-based or discharge inks. Starting today, designers can now use up to 8 colors, specify super glow, puff, high density, suede, UV color change, shimmer, metallic clear, glitter, blister, flock, vinyl, foils, embroidery, gradients, simulated process and even belt printing. Here's a PDF explaining in detail each of the new capabilities.

Head on over to the submit page to read more. You can also download the new submission kit which includes new tee templates in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash, new placement photographs and PDFs explaining the new specialty printing and decline reasons.

Hold on to your hats, Threadless! Things are about to get krrrrr-azy!

A few other, smaller bonuses this change means:

• You may now submit GIF, PNG, JPG and SWF images :)

• Rather than 640x480, designs can now be submitted at 640 pixels wide by up to 800 pixels tall. The default size of the downloadable template is 640x640.

• Rather than 120kb, designs can now be submitted at up to 250kb.

And don't forget! If your design is chosen you will receive $2,500 in cash & gift certificates right away and then up to another $10,000 more if you win a Bestee at the yearly Threadless Awards! You will also receive an Alumni Club Starter Kit the first time a design of yours is chosen. The kit includes a totally sweet Alumni Club Medal of Honor, an official Alumni Club membership card, tee shirt, coffee mug and mouse pad.

We are really excited to see the submissions start rolling in after this announcement. I'm sure ya'll are going to blow some minds!

Watch this
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
SM Designs

I love you Threadless

it's a whole new world!
i gotz queshtons, tho...

with belt printing, you can line up the top and bottom of the design, so it's like wallpaper, coming out continuous - right?

and half-tones down to 10% - i don't get that. i have used photoshop to convert a selection to a half-tone pattern, but i don't understand the 10% part.

empiricist profile pic Alumni

way to stick it to the ol' DBH! THANK YOU THREADLESS!

i can try submitting my leperchuan now

Carold, Above is the information I mentioned concerning
printing limitations and available printing processes.

Woo - wee ! :D

bump for new people

I just found this after reading the "decline reasons" tab before submitting my design. I was quite worried when I read on the decline reasons list that there's a 5 color limit! What? Uh-oh! Nobody in my critique mentioned it, and I knew other people were using more than 5 colors. So I went in search of the real color limit. That's how I came across this post.
The "decline reasons" tab really needs to be updated...there's quite a bit of stuff on it that is out of date according to this post, which was posted over 2 years ago.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?
Join Us