One second...

Announcing new inks and print methods for artists to use in their designs!

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted Nov 05, 2007

When we started Threadless back in 2000, designs were printed using fairly basic screen printing methods. With the launch of our Select line in 2006, we began to encourage artists to explore new inks and printing techniques allowing them more creative involvement during production. We decided to end the separation between regular Threadless tees and Threadless Select tees by offering the use of all inks and printing techniques that we use for Select to any artist that submits.

This is super exciting for everyone! Before today, most chosen designs were printed with plastisol inks, some with a chino additive and a few with water-based or discharge inks. Starting today, designers can now use up to 8 colors, specify super glow, puff, high density, suede, UV color change, shimmer, metallic clear, glitter, blister, flock, vinyl, foils, embroidery, gradients, simulated process and even belt printing. Here's a PDF explaining in detail each of the new capabilities.

Head on over to the submit page to read more. You can also download the new submission kit which includes new tee templates in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash, new placement photographs and PDFs explaining the new specialty printing and decline reasons.

Hold on to your hats, Threadless! Things are about to get krrrrr-azy!

A few other, smaller bonuses this change means:

• You may now submit GIF, PNG, JPG and SWF images :)

• Rather than 640x480, designs can now be submitted at 640 pixels wide by up to 800 pixels tall. The default size of the downloadable template is 640x640.

• Rather than 120kb, designs can now be submitted at up to 250kb.

And don't forget! If your design is chosen you will receive $2,500 in cash & gift certificates right away and then up to another $10,000 more if you win a Bestee at the yearly Threadless Awards! You will also receive an Alumni Club Starter Kit the first time a design of yours is chosen. The kit includes a totally sweet Alumni Club Medal of Honor, an official Alumni Club membership card, tee shirt, coffee mug and mouse pad.

We are really excited to see the submissions start rolling in after this announcement. I'm sure ya'll are going to blow some minds!

Watch this
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

I love this! Now the tees just need to fit better..
(and yeah I know about the new tees.. but they're still too short)

staffell profile pic Alumni

@doebe, it's obviously something they need to update

yay, the PDF and kit works for me now :)

KBShakedown on Nov 05 '07 at 11:26am
I imagine they just haven't updated that page yet. Settle down.

They already did :P

Threadless you are awesome!!!

Oh and Kerrn.. I've also had the same problem with my Mama's boy select. The whole thing, not just the devil baby, has faded really really badly to the point I don't wear it anymore. Also the flesh color on the bikini clad girl on my Diodes tee is also fading weird making her color look strange.

ooops!! sorry for the whole bold thing! I forgot to un-bold after Kerrn's name!! epp! Sorry again!

danrule profile pic Alumni

Tesco better produce some belt-printed submissions. Now.

How 'bout the Burnout process threadless? Or are poly-cotton shirts not an option?

this fucking redonkulous... the combo's are now limitless... will this effect price???

sonmi profile pic Alumni

wait, what's belt-printing mean?

The Crackers

Craig's picture is beautiful in that zip file.

read above rhythmdev9... they've answered the pricing question there.

coffee is a diahrretic.

belt-printing is how they print on the entire shirt.

Sonmi - it means the shirt is put through a big machine with screens on both sides so it can print all over, like the way the Iconoclast select was done.

The Crackers

and it's not an actual place

Wait Select Tees will still exist right...
Except the only difference would be they are printed on AA?

Edword profile pic Alumni

amazing! thank you threadless!

so basically what ti comes down to is if it cost more to make the tee it coast more to wear the tee... pretty basic...

funkie fresh
funkie fresh profile pic Alumni

funkie fresh
funkie fresh profile pic Alumni

you guys are crazy awesomse

wullagaru profile pic Alumni

hey .. with the price thing I know the specialty inks and processes cost more what about if Im just using more colors .. is that goign to bump teh price up as well ?

MrDomino profile pic Alumni

No fucking way. I'm glad I waited sub my design till today. You guys rock. Can I retroactively adjust my last sub to fit the new criteria?

radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

this is so good

Glennz profile pic Alumni

wow! nice one threadless!

yeohgh profile pic Alumni

this is WOW WOW WOW best !!!

OlliRudi profile pic Alumni

i have been waiting for the oppurtunity to post tall jpg's for so long

steven218 profile pic Alumni

wow, because of the new decline reasons, my print would never have been accepted in the first placeā€¦

Ste7en profile pic Alumni

no steven, yours consisted of more than just artistically composed it with highlights and blocks of ink and framed it with an illustration (its also longer than slogans can be)

cshimala profile pic Staff

Steven... we're talking about stuff like this in that decline(which has been a reason ever since Type Tees came out)... example

aled profile pic Alumni

Nice one guys! This is fucking sweeeeeet!

WanderingBert profile pic Alumni

Woah! I just peed my pants a little.

Threadless ftw-again!

Luke... profile pic Alumni

woah!!! what am i gonna do with all those extra colors

great job, threadless. i'm very excited to see the new stuff.

terrific! wonder if it has to do with the fact that has been doing the same thing already. now all threadless has to do is get rid of those horrible fruit of the loom tees! =)

BlameTheSuburbs profile pic Alumni

Woaaaaaaaa, Things are gonna get crazy over here in the next few weeks.

Monkey III
Monkey III profile pic Alumni

What now?

Now we wait for...
The first one to make a rainbow with 8 colours!

mezo profile pic Alumni

Skipper6745 profile pic Alumni

Skipper6745 profile pic Alumni

Haha, nice plug.

adamwhite profile pic Alumni

Awesome, two great things in one, Threadless and specialty inks!

so.. for belt printing.. is what's printed on the front and the back the same design? or is it half of the design on each because it was a large print to begin with?

TerryMakesStuff profile pic Alumni

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?
Join Us