Close
One second...

Announcing new inks and print methods for artists to use in their designs!

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted Nov 05, 2007
  • 224 Comments

When we started Threadless back in 2000, designs were printed using fairly basic screen printing methods. With the launch of our Select line in 2006, we began to encourage artists to explore new inks and printing techniques allowing them more creative involvement during production. We decided to end the separation between regular Threadless tees and Threadless Select tees by offering the use of all inks and printing techniques that we use for Select to any artist that submits.

This is super exciting for everyone! Before today, most chosen designs were printed with plastisol inks, some with a chino additive and a few with water-based or discharge inks. Starting today, designers can now use up to 8 colors, specify super glow, puff, high density, suede, UV color change, shimmer, metallic clear, glitter, blister, flock, vinyl, foils, embroidery, gradients, simulated process and even belt printing. Here's a PDF explaining in detail each of the new capabilities.

Head on over to the submit page to read more. You can also download the new submission kit which includes new tee templates in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash, new placement photographs and PDFs explaining the new specialty printing and decline reasons.

Hold on to your hats, Threadless! Things are about to get krrrrr-azy!

A few other, smaller bonuses this change means:

• You may now submit GIF, PNG, JPG and SWF images :)

• Rather than 640x480, designs can now be submitted at 640 pixels wide by up to 800 pixels tall. The default size of the downloadable template is 640x640.

• Rather than 120kb, designs can now be submitted at up to 250kb.

And don't forget! If your design is chosen you will receive $2,500 in cash & gift certificates right away and then up to another $10,000 more if you win a Bestee at the yearly Threadless Awards! You will also receive an Alumni Club Starter Kit the first time a design of yours is chosen. The kit includes a totally sweet Alumni Club Medal of Honor, an official Alumni Club membership card, tee shirt, coffee mug and mouse pad.

We are really excited to see the submissions start rolling in after this announcement. I'm sure ya'll are going to blow some minds!

:)

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
telaine

hopefully 8 colors won't lure artists from the 1nk contest this month!! ;)

ladrones
ladrones profile pic Alumni

DBH KILLA

ladykat
ladykat profile pic Alumni

Cool stuff!

So will there be price differences to reflect the different printing processes?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse profile pic Alumni

This is so cool. Btw, anything change with the printing size?

chelly

it looks like the DENY stipulations are stricter, so maybe we won't be getting more crappy submissions to vote on

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

i was wondering the same, kate

margolove

CRAZY AWESOME :D

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Regarding pricing and select questions. The second half of this announcement regarding the use of our new tees and pricing will occur in the beginning of next year. Basically tees that use more specialty inks and techniques will cost a bit more and prices will range from $15-25. We've put a lot of thought into how the price breakdowns will work and Threadless will still be the place to get the crazy-awesomest stuff at awesome prices.

spires
spires profile pic Alumni

No need to stray. You keep me satisfied with your love, TL.

Mikko Terva
Mikko Terva profile pic Alumni

excellent news. this kinda makes me want to re-submit some of my old designs (improved versions of course), now that you get more than 640x480.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Regarding pricing and select questions. The second half of this announcement regarding the use of our new tees and pricing will occur in the beginning of next year. Basically tees that use more specialty inks and techniques will cost a bit more and prices will range from $15-25... this new pricing will include selects. The point of select is to put big name designers on the same page as everyone else that submits to Threadless, not just to let them use special printing techniques and charge more for their shirts. We've put a lot of thought into how the price breakdowns will work and Threadless will still be the place to get the crazy-awesomest stuff at awesome prices.

Monkey III
Monkey III profile pic Alumni

Threadless wins! FATALITY!

friendship!

stevetrpi

FM - on the Decline Reasons PDF it says printing size is 15" x 20" (38cm x 50cm) and obviously all over for belt prints.

ekaj47

simulated process! nice

JOHN2
JOHN2 profile pic Alumni

SHAZAAAAAAAMM!

zipperking
zipperking profile pic Alumni

take that DBH!

Mikko Terva

also: belt printing available, aaargh! joy.

Manos
Manos profile pic Alumni

The BEST news since the Threadless launch!

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

HOT!

blonde8007

Oh my goodness

fc gravy

WOW-ZAHZ

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

I can't wait til they announce face printing

tiphaine
tiphaine profile pic Alumni

whoa! this is amazing! i need to find the time to submit some stuff for sure.

ladykat

skaw on Nov 05 '07 at 11:00am
Basically tees that use more specialty inks and techniques will cost a bit more and prices will range from $15-25... this new pricing will include selects. The point of select is to put big name designers on the same page as everyone else that submits to Threadless, not just to let them use special printing techniques and charge more for their shirts.

That sounds very reasonable!

Follow-up: if a Select artist doesn't go crazy with the specialty inks, does that also mean that the tee could potentially be less than $25?

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

hershel

yeeeeehaw!looks like i´ve joined just at the right time........me love more colors!....just gettin more and more addicted to threadless....

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Follow-up: if a Select artist doesn't go crazy with the specialty inks, does that also mean that the tee could potentially be less than $25?

yep, a select tee could be as little as $15, once we announce the new pricing & tees

Mikko Terva

new colours too! (has probaby been noted already but I can't bother reading all that above^)

WhitneyBeth
WhitneyBeth profile pic Alumni

wow! selects for under $25?! amazing!

bsweber
bsweber profile pic Alumni

army green, yes!

Sgt.Dobad

consider my jaw well and truly dropped.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

touché DBH

staffell

wait, GRADIENTS???

staffell

oh god, it's the end of the world as we know it

ladykat

skaw on Nov 05 '07 at 11:08am
yep, a select tee could be as little as $15, once we announce the new pricing & tees

Awesome, I like that the new pricing scale will be based on printing fees & the like.

MooseDinner

Whoa, this is crazy.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

my Design a Day, just got a lot easier! I LOVE COLORS! I love lamp.

You all are amazing.

r.o.b.o.t.i.c.octopus
r.o.b.o.t.i.c.octopus profile pic Alumni

it still says on the decline reasons on the sub page:

Too Many Colors

Designs must have 5 or less unique colors, no gradients, no photographs and no tiny halftones. Remember, black & white count. The color of the tee shirt does not count toward the five color limit.

wullagaru
wullagaru profile pic Alumni

this is awesome .. just one quick question we now get 8 inks ... PLUS shirt color or is it 8 including shirt color?

danrule
danrule profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Damn! even belt-printing? tooo awesome

Kerrn

STATEMENT!
awesome news guys - this is amazing! haha and ironic considering kevin and i had discussed just about ALL of this over the weekend...which is weird but VERY exciting!

QUESTION!
About the inks.
Several people have voiced concerns over the inks used in the selects, specifically their fading. It seems that darker inks have been fading more.
Example: Mama's Boy. After one washing (inside out, cold, hang dried) the black on the devil baby washed out significantly, to the point where the devil baby is hardly recognizable...I know many people have been disappointed with Ste7en's select as well
With these new additions and ink options...should the consumer be concerned about overall ink quality?

-k.

Kerrn

dammit i forgot to bold QUESTION!

-k.

OlliRudi
OlliRudi profile pic Alumni

make love to me threadless!

now i just have to find a way to make my select even more balls-out crazy...

doebe

On the design submission page it still says:
- 5 colors or less
- no gradients
- no belt printing

so what is it?

steven218
steven218 profile pic Alumni

holy crap!

mooseinmyshoe

i don't even design and this is flippin' exciting!!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?
Join Us