Close
One second...

Too much white space. Needs more black space.

• by eskeptic
  • posted Oct 31, 2007
  • 30 Comments

One of the most common comments in client feedback, a personal nightmare. Whenever I see "too much white space," I wonder if the design "needs more black space." What is this general fear of white space?

Watch this
eskeptic

One of the most common comments in client feedback, a personal nightmare. Whenever I see "too much white space," I wonder if the design "needs more black space." What is this general fear of white space?

chocofungi

you can never have enough white space. as long as it's used appropriately, of course

billydeville

How long before some tool says "lose the text"?

4rch3nemy

Lose the text.

(Kidding, this is great)

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

Huh. I never get that complaint. Not like "please make my logo BIGGER."

thedarrien

haha I love this! I think this all the time when my graphic design or photography teachers talk about "too much white space".....I love it. I'd buy it in a second.

henrynoomkle

It would only work on a black t-shirt...

One for the designers! :)

I love a bit of space in a design.... Look at Apple, how that has worked for them.

Joelnz
Joelnz profile pic Alumni

Cant go wrong with helvetica

kidpahl

san serif to the max - i would get this.

fgillustrator

Gives me nightmares but I'd get one

eskeptic

Ah, Helvetica, you got me. Love the comments, folks, love it even more that you "get it." Me lovee the white space too. Thanks for the support.

sbswimfan

obviously designed by some famous architect!

laup

Brilliant! Of course the next comment from the client will be. "Did you intend for the letters to be cut off like that?

nice one.

The Jolly Brewer

Where's the logo, I can't see the logo, add a logo and make it bigger!

laup

Nice concept. Re-design it as a big NASA patch for it to REALLY work. IMHO, of course...

noodlezoop

Haha, awesome! But it may need more flyout boxes and 3D effects. Maybe some gradients and clipart. ( ;

I would wear this to work if I could.

Yourhero

How long did it take ya to make this masterpiece? Get the fuck off my threadless...

tediousjo

^I can always smell ignorance when the F-bomb is dropped.

This is awesome, but maybe some random photoshop brushes, half-tones, skulls, and paint splatters/drips would look nice. And make it a wraparound.

I love it.

Yourhero

^My sincerest apologies.

(fixed) "get the fudge off my threadless..."

JTFX

Love the drawing but lose the text for a $5

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

It's the same as all the people who automatically say "no white shirt!" no matter if it really benefits the design or not (like "Bad apple" really works well being on white. nice sentiment but Threadless is less of a designer-injoke tee place than defunker.com or teetonic.com. Good luck!

squatterjohn

Not really sure about this. It's sort of a slogan that just requires a little bit of graphic assistance to get it across the line.

bob derins

its simple and good! most people moan about too much white space here on this site and i think white space is perfect. but even this is great! 5$ and id buy it

NickyThePoet

My english teacher would love this. Haha.

yue kitty

I strongly agree with Todow.

bananariva

not sure whether it really works on any colors other than black. otherwise, great shirt!

NomesMcFly

was just going to a the same thing as bananariva cos it says needs more black space

no_allegiances

Sorry to be anal, but if you're going to try one of these the kerning between the letters is what makes / breaks. Just a couple of tweaks? Great idea otherwise...

eskeptic

Thanks for the tips, FRICKINAWESOME, that's very much appreciated. I know this was a bit too designer-y for Threadless' typical crowd, but what the heck. Since I'm a designer what can draw, I'll be adding illustrative stuff soon enough!

No account?
Join Us