Close
One second...

Been watching the diet doctors.

I now feel like I need to cut way back on sugar and fat and turn my life around before I die. I should not be allowed to watch tv alone.

Watch this
hannabear

noooo diet is die with a t!
t is for truffles.

deboraborialis

lol.

The people on the show have 58 in waists, and are heading for an early grave. Somehow I see this in my future if I'm not very careful (I come from a family of mobidly obese freaks, on both sides).

hannabear

yeah I know, I'm a big foodie with a sweet tooth. My dad's side is the heart disease/diabetes/cholesterol types so I worry a lot about early graves and whatnot too, especially because I inherited high cholesterol. Lucky me.

margolove

hanna!

I too have an intense sweet tooth :( no terrible genetic predisposition, though, I don't think.

flourpower

Yeah, I read some story earlier this week how doctors have found that sugar is worse for your skin than they'd previously thought. Of course, all the tips for protecting your skin were implicitly directed at women.

I'm trying to cut back on sugar a bit, but I could very happily live on ice cream, baked goods, and chocolate, so it's hard.

deboraborialis

I'm trying to make an effort to cook meals from scratch. Day one has gone very well so far. Had japanese salad for lunch and have made Thai chicken noodle soup for dinner. Also brought loads of fruit with me to work as snacks. No more nipping out for chocolate (three times a day).

bob derins

why not just see how beautiful you all really are? as cheesy as that is

deboraborialis

blushes

I really just want to feel healthier. I think feeding chocolate habit is doing me no good at all.

bob derins

meh... well ok get healthy.. i certanly need to. i dont move at all but whatever im happy haha. just dont become a superficial bimbo like most females out there

welshalex

I have taken up 'body pump - the worlds fastest way to get in shape' so that I can eat chips twice a week without feeling bad.

The Jolly Brewer

Bob, I don't think Deb once mentioned looks. She spoke of health. I think what she is doing is a very good thing. We should all look at what we eat. Our dependence on packaged food and ready meals is disgusting. We should all re-learn how to make the most of our food and actually feed our bodies so they work well and are nourished, not just stick any old crap in there because we are too lazy to do anything about it, or even think about what we are eating.

I pretty much never buy a ready meal, as close to it as I'd get would be a pie or something, everything else I make from scratch. Completely from scratch so I know what is going into it. I make my own bread, curries, well, pretty much every meal, I've even cured my own ham and made my own salami.

One of my biggest pet peevs is seeing the ingredients list on a loaf of bread. Have a look, it will be as long as your arm. Bread should only have a few ingredients - Flour, water, yeast salt and maybe oil.

Anyway, I'll just hop off my soapbox and congratulate Deb on her choice and I just want to say, if you eat less sugar and more complex carbs etc, you'll have way more energy and won't get that horrible tiredness you get about an hour after a sugar hit.

deboraborialis

I couldn't agree more. I felt like I was shoveling crap into my body, but it just made me want more. It was doing me no good.

You've cured your own ham?! I think I'm in love. I've always fancied living at river cottage with hugh fearnley whittingstall!

The only problem I have with making my own bread, it that I would eat a whole loaf a day. My friend is trying to get my to buy a yogurt maker. She thinks it will change my life.

littlem

i hope i never have to diet! i have no self control. hahaahaa

deboraborialis

Don't worry Bob, I love my food too much to become a bimbo (although I do spend a staggering amount of money on eye cream).

deboraborialis

My friend sent me an article about how exercise doe not make you thinner. It was quite compelling.

The Jolly Brewer

if you exercise you are more hungry so you are likely to eat more. That's the idea behind the thought that you don't lose weight through exercise.

Deb, I'd marry Hugh if I could.

The Jolly Brewer

My wife bought me us a 5 course banquet at River Cottage HQ for my Birthday, I can quite happily say it was the best meal I've ever had.

deboraborialis

I'm so jealous!

The whole exercise thing is basically the more you exercise the hungrier you get and the more you wnat to eat (as you said). The idea that exercise would make you thinner only cam around in the sixties, due to some very flawed science. Obviously the trick is to exercise a bit, but not eat any more. There are other reasons to exercise though (reducing risk of heart disease and cancer, and just being fitter).

The Jolly Brewer

Exercise is good for you, it makes your body more efficient and speeds up your metabolism. It also creates more muscle which use calories just to maintain, but like you said, this does not make you lose weight unless you take in fewer calories than you burn. It is quite incredible how much exercise you'd have to do to burn off a mars bar. That being said, you do need about 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight so it is all a bit confusing.

I'd really recommend River Cottage HQ for an experience. Get a load of friends together and make a weekend of it. Dorset is really nice and if you got a b&b for the night it's a great weekend.

deboraborialis

It's amazing when you think about what a fine ballanced machine the body is. 100 extra calories a day than you need (and that's a small glass of orange) causes something like a 6 lb gain over a year.

I can't remember the actual weight gain, but it was around this number.

The Jolly Brewer

It is amazing. Scary if you think about it too much. I guess that's how eating disorders come into play.

I could do with losing a few pounds, not a lot but it would be nice to get rid of my 'desk chops'. I walk to and from work each day which is about 25mins each way. But with a pregnant wife, I seem to have put on some 'sympathy weight'....

bob derins

wow that seemed to cause a chain post! i didnt mean looks and all that only, and yeah i understoon after the reply that it was about health. i just thought id throw that in too, no disrespect intended or anything! just wanted to make a point of my own that at the end of the day all the good looks and this and that wont really matter. but health is good. i am certainly not healthy or fit haha. shame on me.

deboraborialis

Don't worry Bob, I understand.

welshalex

You should try this for amusement & health value -

My friend made me go with her,after not doing a stitch of exercise for 7 yrs, and now I love it.
Sometimes you even get to see a nut sack peeking out from mens tiny shorts.

The Jolly Brewer

hahahahahah nut sack!

I've fancied giving that a go but it clashed with my yoga class.... I sound so gay!

deboraborialis

EWWWWW! I've seen enough nut sacks in my time (that makes me sound like a ho). I've seen this advertised in my old gym. It looks a bit hard for my liking. I have friends that go to millitary fitness (an ex army guy shouts at you and makes you run up hills and do push ups in the mud).

The Jolly Brewer

If you are doing a class, a hardcore class is great. Really pushes you far more than you could ever do yourself. And you can't escape which means you have to carry on. I miss that now I'm no longer a member of the gym......

deboraborialis

I used to go to Yoga, but the class was way to busy. I work at a uni, so get really cheap membership through work (in fact my boyfriend pays the £5 a month, so it's technically free). The classes are always full during term, and they cut them right back during vacation time. I'm happy enough to run and use the cross trainer. I also have a great video for strength and tone, that I must start using again.

welshalex

When I first read up about it, I was like "there is no way in hell I'm doing that", so we went to boxercise instead, & the instructor there did a few bodypump tracks as a warm up & I loved it. You can start with tiny weights....you see, I'm getting all pushy about it now :)

I thought men only did yoga if they were trying to impress a woman? I bet you see all sorts of horribles poking out of outfits in a yoga class.

deboraborialis

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

The Jolly Brewer

Yeah, especially the instructor in his odd all in one ski undergarment.

The Jolly Brewer

"I thought men only did yoga if they were trying to impress a woman?" hahaha

I love yoga, it is such a great form of exercise. So good for you and you feel amazing afterwards. Like you have had a hard workout, but all supple and bouncy too. You know how after doing a run, or weights or something you feel all taught and stiff, yoga is totally the opposite. I can't big up yoga enough.... not that I'm actually doing any at the moment, must get back into it!

deboraborialis

I did find it hard to walk to work this morning after the cross trainer. I think my muscles had nothing left to give, and I was walking with sheer will power. After I'd eaten a banana I felt much better

flourpower

Exercise doesn't necessarily make you skinnier or weigh less, but you look better if you exercise more, even if you weigh a few pounds more cause of more muscle. According to the trainer's scale, I've only gained maybe 2 lbs since I've come to school, but since I haven't been exercising as much yet, it looks like more than that. And it's stupid to only exercise in order to be thinner.

But this week I have practice 5 times and then 2 different sports have competitions this weekend, so I might be out of my laziness phase, yay!

No account?