Close
One second...

Emo

• by aled
  • posted Sep 03, 2007
  • 41 Comments

I thought I'd throw this in the crits to see what you guys thought. Feedback appreciated, Cheers.

Watch this
aled
aled profile pic Alumni

I thought I'd throw this in the crits to see what you guys thought. Feedback appreciated, Cheers.

Band Geek

Another great Fatheed sub...
Love the arms by the way =)

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Thats a pretty good response over 10 minutes! Thanks guys. I'll leave it sit in the crits for a bit before submitting it.

iPenguin

I think their bodies should be closer together, they are way too spread out on the shirt. Green is nice.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Thats kerning that you're talking about. very technical. I have tried to balance the characters, and make it so that the distance is suitable for the letter size. I think its ok at the moment, but if other people express an opinion, I'll make changes.

J-Ray

Awesome, but perhaps they could have slightly different oufits or hairstyles? Or is it the same guy three ways?

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Cheers guys. I wanted the focus to be on the YMCA style arm shapes rather than the characters. Like it is - with one character, it can be read several ways. Even as a chronology of events... 1) emo styles emo hair 2) hair goes wrong - cause of anguish 3) anguished look gives way to desirable emo myspace photo.

Its open to interpretation - and also, if I do different characters, it looks like they are all standing next to each other and that changest the dynamic.

I feel like I have an excuse for everything.

kciibe

oh my gosh. i just noticed the ymca arms.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Some changes made. I thought I'd try to bring it together with a background. I added the Bleeding Heart tee as a bit of a tongue in cheek gesture. It's a little bit like Threadless eating itself - but I think it's cute. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

L.T.

love the new tee, not so much the bg

before subbing, change the title to E-M-O

The Wee Straggler

I love your work man.

Bleeding heart is a nice touch.

The "e" is hard to make out, which I think is a problem in terms of being able to recognize what's going on. If it weren't the first letter it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know if it would spoil the symmetry to much, but maybe if he were leaning over just a bit more the "e" would be more apparent.

Or maybe you don't want it to be too obvious...

broooke

Yeah the 'e' is a little hard to make out, but if you know it says something, THEN you see it. If that makes sense..
I like.

broooke

Oh, and +++++++ for the checkered shoes and... is that a threadless shirt? LOL

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Thanks Wee straggler. Interesting point on the 'e' and thanks also L.T. and Khol.

I think I'll scrap the BG. Watch this space.

The Wee Straggler

For the record I quite like the background. Isn't emo all about texture? V1 feels too smooth without it.

PointWellTaken

i think its awesome... the texture adds dimension and the "bleeding heart" tee is a nice touch... banana is a nice color for it but it would probably work on anything... i'd submit ASAP...

stilts... not exactly sure the colors are working but right now i'd focus on the execution and explore colors later...

check out my critique:
theory of contradiction

PointWellTaken

*** ummm, ignore the whole "stilts... not exactly sure the colors are working..." part... that wasn't meant for you...

nikolina100

even better with the background...nice!

nikolina100

oops that was meaant for V2 :)

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

I scrapped the b/g and bent the 'e' in as much as I could. I accidently deleted the master file so I have to do it all again - but I've got this to submit in the mean time.

hollyc2010

haha...he's wearing a threadless shirt! I really love the character and the story. It's witty, and although it is definately poking fun at the stereotype, I don't think it's at all offensive or exclusive :-)

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

lol niko. I get the feeling that even if some like the background, too many others will not like it.

broooke

LOVE it

PointWellTaken

i'm on strike until you bring the background back... ^_^

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

haha. Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna sub as it is. Cheers!

nikolina100

actually you are prolly right, more people will vote no on the b/g......
I am digging V3 :)

L.T.

pefectooooooo

you make designs from sketch to sub really quickly. if you ever wanna do a collab with a noob... i'm always... ah who am i kiddin ill never have an idea as good as yours.
here's to a fututre print

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Cheers for your help guys. This is now subbed and can be found right here.

I went with your E-M-O title suggestion, L.T.

SourBitch

love the background, but I won't punish you without it (in scoring)

okleng

you have my intentions......

leevi

i like this version best

Leng

nice illustration.

No account?
Join Us