Close
One second...

And Our Breath Like A Beacon

• by Oxgoad
  • posted Aug 27, 2007
  • 26 Comments

I hope this is a step in the right direction...

If (for some reason) you like your designs meaningful, allow me to explain what I tried to get across with this one. We are all singular beings (like the fish) and yet we leave so many things behind us, strung out like bubbles. We leave our actions, our errors, and our art, among other things.

If you like your designs simple and uncluttered with thought, ignore the previous paragraph. I made it up after I finished anyways.

Watch this
Oxgoad

I hope this is a step in the right direction...

If (for some reason) you like your designs meaningful, allow me to explain what I tried to get across with this one. We are all singular beings (like the fish) and yet we leave so many things behind us, strung out like bubbles. We leave our actions, our errors, and our art, among other things.

If you like your designs simple and uncluttered with thought, ignore the previous paragraph. I made it up after I finished anyways.

Peppermont

That's fantastic, man, and I don't even know why.

bujica

nice comment and nice shirt!!!

classic pink it's definitely the one!

5!

aliceisout

thast really nice. i think i would wear it in chocolate.

annaleah

excellent design for a tshirt, would probably get it if the fish were prettier/cuter

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

I love the placement of this and the meaning behind it, but annaleah is right...maybe if the fish was a tad more attractive to the eyes? I'm not talking about Little Mermaid adorable, but something that i don't fear would eat me nearly whole in the waters of the Amazon?

I also think your point coulda been hammered home even more if the whole shirt was filled with those bubble lines, starting from the bottom of the shirt. around the shirt, and then finally ended on the fish near your head. Still, nice design in general.

Oxgoad

Thanks, everybody. I'm, personally, not that big a fan of cute shirts. Next time I'll try to remember what the Threadless audience likes.

In the meantime, I'm really hoping this makes it past the first day...

Momentarily

I love your explanation for it! I think the bubbles should have more texture rather than just being plain circles, and maybe some other placement options.

As for 'cuteness,' keep in mind that the threadless audience has pretty diverse oppinions on that sort of matter, it may take a few designs before you really hit it right. Good luck with this one though, and nice work :)

technologic

thats awsome joradn id buy that if it got printed and i had the money

Oxgoad

Thanks, buddy. We both know you'll never have the money, though...

ThirdEarth

This is a fantastic graphic t.....
The bubbles really bring out rythm and direction in the design, and the simplistic value with the deep context behind it is awesome. Perhaps on your next shirt you can incorporate something directed more towards the threadless audience, but personally I love this shirt and I don't think it really needs too much revision....

Great job! I also love how the design works with with several different colors.

luna-de-miel

i like it on light blue, but i love chocolate (the color not just the food :) does the burgandy/mauve of the fish show up ok on the darker color? is there a way to see the design on the other colors?

wearetwomariners

Sweet design. Like was mentioned before I like how the bubbles go up and kind of over the shoulder. I'd buy it.

Oxgoad

Sorry, that last one was me.

Looneygirl

I like it! love fish and love the idea behind it about how we are singular beings who leave things/trails behind us!

fornhugr

i love lapu lapu(rockfish that is what it is right?) they taste so good

rawrawrawr

Placement is superb.

resonantcurves

Not that threadless shirts can be categorized, but I find that usually they are either cutesy/fantastical or harsh/realistic. The problem here is you've got the cutesy bubbles with the realistic fish, and they clash. Clash can sometimes be a good thing, but I don't think it fits with this shirt. Then again, threadless buyers have varied tastes, so who knows?

Oxgoad

I think you're right about the clash. In my defense, it was late at night and I tried it all 'cutesy' first, but thought the fish was too plain.

It's funny. Both of my previous shirts I put thought into and was actually trying to make a t-shirt design and they both turned out like crap. This one just sort of fell together and people like it MUCH more.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. They certainly weren't expected.

Oxgoad

And nobody but my friends have thus far said anything about how messed up my eyes look in the picture...

lesquelette

I don't think they clash- they offer nice contrast. Don't give in to the demand for cuteness! I really like this design- both with the explanation in mind and on its own.

jsilver951

great design and superb placement

the only thing i would change is when the bubbles are over the edge of the fish. they need to be 2 colors. (white while over the fish, red when not)

the one on the tail caught my eye immediately..which made me look for more and now it's just bugging me

SUleach

This is by far one of my favorite designs, if it gets printed I'm def. buying it. It would be sweet if the bubbles wrapped around once or flowed down the back, but thats just me.

zwyggy

I love it $5

No account?
Join Us