Close
One second...

Question: can you create a color fill in Inkscape?

For years I have used Adobe Photoshop for pretty much everything. About a week ago I downloaded Inkscape because the whole non-pixilization thing with the vector programs sounded really useful. The one big problem I've had is if I draw a closed shape with more than one line I can't fill it with a color etc. as one can in photoshop. If anyone knows how to do this (or if it can even be done) and can explain it to me I'd really appreciate it.

Watch this
BlameTheSuburbs
BlameTheSuburbs profile pic Alumni

inkscape is awesome. I do everything in it.

You have to make complete shapes(one line) in order to apply a good fill.

If you have linework that isn't set up to be filled, then you can put that on one layer, lock it, and make shapes to fill in the empty space between the linework on a lower layer.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

or you can make the two paths a compound path or something and apply a fill.

you just have to learn the rules of vectors. they're great, but much different than rasters.

BlameTheSuburbs

inkscape doesn't really have compound paths the way illustratior does. You can combine paths, but unless you then manually connect them, it won't do anything.

tracerbullet

that's a shame. i've never used inkscape, so i don't have real advice in that area.

BlameTheSuburbs

meh. I like the basic control scheme and a few subtle differences better so I use it.

For example, raising and lowering objects is relative to the other objects around it, not to the entire document.

I often finish stuff up in illustrator though. You can't select all same color/stroke weight ect. in inkscape, so coloring is much easier in illustrator.

tracerbullet

what do you mean raising and lowering objects?

i'd think there's probably a plugin you can get for selecting same colors/stroke. there are plugins all over usually.

le singe

Thanks for the help, and also for seriously answering instead of making bad jokes like some people do in response to questions.

No account?
Join Us