Close
One second...

Good Question

Marvin thinks you ought to know he's feeling very depressed.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Verdana

Marvin thinks you ought to know he's feeling very depressed.

Rathany

Hee!

Band Geek

Thank you. So much. I love you. I love Hitchhiker.
This $ makes my 5 look so much prettier.

da Face

54!!

Prexis

Tonteau

^^
What they said.

N2O

5 f'n 4

Try 7 x 6...

Muckl

or try it in base 13 ^^

rain drop

i dont like it. :(

thebaddestrobot

I'd totally buy this. In an instant. It's the most awesome shirt ever.

Mr. Bacon

hey doofus! this is dumb. the book says "7x6" not "6x9"

sex2

Verdana

Mr. Bacon, the book most assuredly does not say "7x6." There is a point where the possibility of "7x6" is tossed around, but this refers to a different point in the series, where Scrabble is involved.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, an ongoing theme of the books has to do with the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything and the answer to that question. We are told fairly early on that the answer is 42.

Later in the series, two of the characters draw homemade Scrabble tiles out of a bag in an attempt to discover what the question actually is. This is what they get.

corey9

nice! 5$

i like it for the illustration - with or without meaning :)

bFusion

OMG NO TEXT PLZ!

OK, kidding, I like this one. Big fan of the books :)

kayceislost

lol @ everyone who keeps saying 54.

fardoche will eat your kid

"It was later pointed out by readers that 6 × 9 = 42 if the calculations are performed in base 13, not base 10, which gives an answer of 54. Douglas Adams later averred that he was not aware of this at the time, and repeatedly dismissed this as an irrelevant concoction, saying that "nobody writes jokes in base 13 [...] I may be a pretty sad person, but I don't make jokes in base 13."

thank you wikipedia?

Zebdog

haha 54 yaa

chelly

wonderful.

ekaj47

very nice - i would love to wear this

FranFry
  1. well, thats just helpful.
R'son-W

"I knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe…"

BrokenArm91

i don't get the reference as well as someone who has read the series, but from the explanation Verdana gave, i love the concept and design

BrokenArm91

p.s. - is the robot part of the design?

Quelin

The whole thing that Earth was made to find out the question, 42 is the answer (also why it was replaced, it was so valuable). Later in the series we find out some "refugees" from another planet were sent out to space and landed on Earth, thus ruining the purity of the question answering device. This is why you guess they get 9 x 6 instead of 7 x 6. But even so 7 x 6 as the answer to everything is pretty silly.

Verdana

BrokenArm91—No, he's a character from the BBC miniseries version of the story.

Verdana

That is to say, he's just in the submission to say hello and take up a bit of extra space. =]

Oxgoad

Reading the series for the second time. $5

gatosolsuncat

R'son-W on Jul 03 '07 "I knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe…"

darkshines

Is the robot on the shirt?

Emily72

kamisch42

The answer to the greatest question ever asked!

will-cawdordrive

that is incredible. i would buy that in a second.

drjedipimp

us dolphins and mice are so outta here...this thread is absurd.
lol

Rocket Kid

Oh 42 hah, i get it!

jonndoe08

It would be really cool, except that it's six by seven to get fortytwo

Joelnz

renfrue

so 42 is the scrabble score?

maths confuse me

muppetdoom

i LOVE this!i would totally buy it!

sonneta

I totally don't remember the scrabble reference. And I feel it would be more obvious a reference if it were 7x6. Or perhaps, How many streets must you travel?

thebaddestrobot

How many roads must a man walk down. I guess only the really cool people get the 6x9 reference.

Zegrod

Mmm, love everything that has to do with 42, $5!

todderick

@renfrue:
no 42 is the answer. It doesn't involve math, it involves the answer to life the universe and everything.

This is clearly one of the best things ever. 5, and $

want.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?