Close
One second...

Evolution

I've had this idea for a while, finally getting to work on making it. I'm sure everyone knows both sources that make this image (and incase anyone unsure yes it is legal to appropriate images for the purpose of parody, same reason there's darth vader T-shirts etc.). I think the image really explains itself, i just want to hear your thoughts! How can i improve it?

Watch this
the-moon-unit

I've had this idea for a while, finally getting to work on making it. I'm sure everyone knows both sources that make this image (and incase anyone unsure yes it is legal to appropriate images for the purpose of parody, same reason there's darth vader T-shirts etc.). I think the image really explains itself, i just want to hear your thoughts! How can i improve it?

spinnygirl

well i am not a huge design-type person. so i don't have a lot of cryptic rules about what is cool and what is not done...so i have to say that i really like this idea. i'd post it

fouchnickens

I LOVE LEGOS!!! Go with a beige or sage colored shirt though.

beesneak
beesneak profile pic Alumni

Being a fan of both Da Vinci and legos, I really like this design. With this concept, I think the design is ready to go. Since the lego man is a pretty simple drawing, it wouldn't make sense to add too much detail.

Frank Vice

lego people cant raise their arms!

looks good though

shiola

This is great as it is. I just looked at Leonardo's drawing and you've pretty much nailed it by making it simpler but you still understand exactly what it is. Lego kicks ass anyway - so go with this, it's great. I'd buy it 100%

Sparra

LOL! Love it and would most definately wear it as well as send it to a couple of mates I know would really go for this.

NYC

Love the idea. I'd like to see more Da Vinci-type touches around it though; it's a little too simple imho.

steviec

I'd like colour as well, but I think this would look so much better with some more photo-realism. Since this is a high-concept design, the more real lego man looks, I think the stronger the message will be.

Sparra

Wouldn't colour take it too far away from Da Vinci's original Vitruvian man? How about trying to 'stress' the whole thing so it looks more like old parchment? Thinking about it there's two distinct ways to go with this...make it all shiny and bright or make it look like the original (but still with Lego guy). I wouldn't mind seeing both.

steviec

Yeah, that would work.

DShawn

i like it. im not sure if u shud color it or not

the-moon-unit

Thanks so much for all the responses. Firstly I'm trying to address the whole.. stylised thing. I felt allthough no one mentioned it specifically the shadow lines may not have fit it (and were a bit too rush jobby) and adding more of the "style" could come by altering it. The problem is ofcourse i can't have gradiating lines so perhaps this is a better alternative? I've got two versions here, I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Personally with the whole issue of going in either the direction of the style of lego (bright and shiny) or the style of the da Vinci illustration I'm aiming more for the latter.

I did try adding "highlights" to the image but felt it looked kinda wrong and stopped halfway through since the original didnt have them, just shadows.

I'll fiddle around with more "Da Vinci" touches. On colours i really don't want to go too far down the road of building up the image to photo realism but I might take a look at colour alts (ie shades of blue instead of shades of brown etc.)

Oh and the evolution title is just a sorta gag on like man evolving into lego minfigs... or something :P

jester_go_splat

I feel like colors would take away from it, since the original had no colors. I really like your second version with one shadow layer. I dig it.

dontcare

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
GREAT, JUST GREAT.... I would like to see other colors cuz i never wear white or natural tees, but I LOVE IT, of course I'd buy it....

dontcare

2 shadows layers

surly

I like this, nice concept, maybe some more detail but is good as it is . .

itsmeriz

It good though can you fix up the circle though! Like its such a wide gap on the top and so small one on the bottom. Unless you want it to be that way???

i carnt spel

yeah it's got a strong visual presence

wordlesswear

Doesn't need anything else. Very clever! I'd buy it.

DesignbyProxy
DesignbyProxy profile pic Alumni

I'd rename it...having something to do with davinci, or his study on how a human fit into space

i carnt spel

howz about legolution... you can STP me later:P

cartooner
cartooner profile pic Alumni

how about lego my ego and then in parenthesis (divinci)
you can stp me later :P

cartooner
cartooner profile pic Alumni

i hope u realize i was joking on the last one about that name, and also i was wondering y lego are appearing on shirts all of a sudden (at least submissions that is) are legos back, because mine are in storage since i was a kid... DAMNIT i dont wanna miss another fad

THEY

I like it. It would be kind funny if his arms were just straight up, as the toys are. But yeah, it's cool and fun. People would buy it.

Like I said, I do like it. but I also have my reservations about serving up pop-culture references. Seems a little derived. But that's just me being a prude I'm sure.

Good luck!

the-moon-unit

Thanks for all the positive buzz, some people were talking about how they'd like to see a version of this with some more stylised touches and particular emphasis on the parchment look. Its a hard thing to pull off with solid colour (for me anyway) but I came up with this. What do you think, like it or just go without? (oh and i went with the one layer shadow, since there wasnt any great swing either way ive used that other layer to do the parchment effect).

kidaro

Cool. Lego men are cool. But why do you call it Evolution? Is some kind of subtly ironic reference?

the-moon-unit

Aye well an FYI on the name, I'm going to change it when i run the design I'm just keeping the different versions in the same place. Suggestions are welcome! But mostly i want to hear about what people think about the design

Sparra

'Legruvian Man'.
I like the distressed look :o)

Sparra

Or: Leonardo does Lego
Plastic Anatomy

Sparra

Or: Modern man

the-moon-unit

Ooooh i like "plastic anatomy"

what do other people think of the BG effect?

fouchnickens

I think the BG effect needs to be finer, like parchment paper.

Quelin

I think the parchment is not needed since you have the t-shirt texture anyway. Personally, I'd say clean up the lines a bit, yes I know the original was hand drawn but I think a less sketchy look would be better.

alconic

love it! submit this design

Candykrieg

I find it really good that way!

the-moon-unit

Well I've bit the bullet and put it up, its pending approval atm but please follow the link and put in your scores when its approved:

the-moon-unit

hum, image linky thing didnt work. Oh well here's the url:

LINK

renfrue
renfrue profile pic Alumni

this is sweet

DesignbyProxy
DesignbyProxy profile pic Alumni

I'm sorry it's bugging me everytime I see it. it's called Ergonomics....

renfrue
renfrue profile pic Alumni

it was subbed as "Plastic Anatomy"

the-moon-unit

its up!

HUZZAH

Thanks for all the comments and crits. There is some contraversy a brewing on me not being the first to have an idea such as this, you can find a response from me on the linked page

No account?
Join Us