Fun with Barcodes

• by Royeth
  • posted May 30, 2007
  • 13 Comments

Barcode readers are becoming increasingly popular with new cellphones. Strangers will come up to you and stop you just to check out what your shirt means! An interesting conversation starter none-the-less.

This design is inspired by the use of combining barcodes and colour to replicate an image (question mark in this case).

The barcode actually reads:

OMG! This actually means something!

Watch this
Royeth

Barcode readers are becoming increasingly popular with new cellphones. Strangers will come up to you and stop you just to check out what your shirt means! An interesting conversation starter none-the-less.
This design is inspired by the use of combining barcodes and colour to replicate an image (question mark in this case).

The barcode actually reads:

OMG! This actually means something!

Syrasha

Ha! Neat.

LetterGhost

I keep staring at this, and I feel like an idiot admitting this, but... where is the barcode? I don't see any barcode. It just looks like a big bitmap to me.

NYSkins1

Wow, that's nifty. I'm not sure I'd buy it based solely on the concept, though--the design's kind of blah. And I have never seen a cellphone with a barcode reader.

Royeth

LetterGhost: Exerpt from Wiki on "Data Matrix" - A Data Matrix code is a two-dimensional matrix barcode consisting of black and white square modules arranged in either a square or rectangular pattern.
Just thought I'd clarify that for you. Yeah I know, its not your everyday |||||||| type barcode :)

Royeth

NYSkins1: I'd personally agree with you regarding the actual design being blah but thought I could try out something I deemed as creative and unique. Guess I've got to play my "design newbie" card here hehe.
Apparently this type of technology is widely used in Japan, but I only came across it as it was a feature on my Nokia N95.

steviec

It still doesn't look like a barcode. It doesn't really look like anything.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Fantastically thoughtful concept. Horrible shirt design. Not your fault tho, unless you incorporated some cute way to show what the barcode actually says.

Alexandra Marie

Nice concept, but the design looks like a pixelated DOS icon. Not cute.

bFusion

Look at a UPS shipped package and you will find barcodes like this. Instead of being a sequence of lines and spaces of different widths, this is a series of black (or white) boxes that contain data when read.

Neat idea, but it could certainly use some work :)

seijikun

I may be going to Japan this summer, I think it'd be highly amusing to discover random people scanning my shirt (that is, if it's printed and I purchase it)!

cheezee

cute idea, and i've seen that kind of barcode before, but i wouldn't have recognized it as a barcode.

Royeth

Thank you to all those who's scored this design, and a bigger thanks to all who's left comments as this is where I can gather feedback (+ve & -ve) and use that feedback for future designs! :)

No account?
Join Us