Koi Cartographers

• by gnarls
  • posted May 29, 2007
  • 40 Comments

This design was inspired by salmon at the end of thier lives that journey over thousands of miles of ocean to thier native spawning stream. I got this idea of them having a map etched into them, however I didn't use salmon for this sub, instead I used stylized koi fish because thier natural patterns always reminded me of maps.

So, maps and fish. Even if the idea is lame or lost in the switch of salmon and koi I still hope you enjoy the illo.

Watch this
gnarls

This design was inspired by salmon at the end of thier lives that journey over thousands of miles of ocean to thier native spawning stream. I got this idea of them having a map etched into them, however I didn't use salmon for this sub, instead I used stylized koi fish because thier natural patterns always reminded me of maps.

So, maps and fish. Even if the idea is lame or lost in the switch of salmon and koi I still hope you enjoy the illo.

KodachromeCherry

this idea is amazing...
but i'm not a fan of either shirt color.

hippozzz

Absolutely amazing artwork here! Also, wonderful concept that even if people don't get it, it's still a pretty sweet tee shirt, right?

Nice job! ;D

mj00
mj00 profile pic Alumni

I like the idea. If I were you, I'd have the map more visible in some areas and the fish more visible in others. Best of both worlds? As it is now, I have a hard time seeing what's going on.

Kopiok

The map needs to be a little more obvious.

sejwedge

i'd like it more on a darker shirt
love lthe concept tho!

barriebarrie

Darker blue shirt and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Meagen

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...this is real nice i loveit

Meagen

oh and the green ones gorgeous it practically glows. I'd buy it. truly.

ouchouch

dark blue shirt yes.
but kois are played outtt

slr_ecoli

This must get printed! I need to buy this for a Christmas present.

tibo-san

This is very good, love kois :)

Fdupblindkids

i always like the fish ones, reminds me of animal jungle (my job)

doctordeirdre

hey, a pretty koi shirt. usually they are lame. this ones pretty sweet! $4

bluepeacechick

I get your idea, but it needs to be clearer... Very original though!

tempo36

Awesome idea, the art needs a bit of cleaning to make the design pop a bit more. I'd like to see it printed when it's more polished up though :)

queluhh

maybe make the lines on the actual maps themselves darker, it was difficult to see the map at first (maybe I'm blind though)

also maybe different t-shirt color like as previously suggested a dark blue? that would bring out the orange in the fish possibly..

criz

Where are all these Kois coming from?? Are Kois the new Pandas now...? No need for Kois on my tees, thank you.

reetzy_chick

If the map was a little more clear $5

embleys_shoes

Love love love it now that I see the map, but I didn't until I read your comment.

mephitine

Beautiful, but I didn't notice the map right off the bat.

smodaresi

Very cool. Like the map, although I didn't notice it til I read your comment. I like the colors of everything but their eyes...not sure why.

TritoneXX

Make the eyes darker and fix the colors.

I love the design concept, I'd buy it if it came in the right colors.

5'd.

Aric de Lioncourt

It's been said, but if the map were a bit more obvious, I'd 5$ this in a heartbeat. It's one of the best designs I've seen (you also get points because I'm obsessed with koi at the moment).

its.a.hit

Oh, holy crap. I'd buy. Great job!

cedars

very awesome concept, it's just kind of hard to see the map. if you defined it a bit more, i would buy this in a second. nice job!

katiethepython

It would look better on Dark Blue I think. I didn't even see the map for a long time but it makes me love it more. Is there anyway to make it a little more clear? Who cares though. 5$

falseone

jap sweet! 5+

sandmanda

i love the idea! put the orange fish on the green shirt, and i'll really fall in love. $5

clarkie4ever

cool idea ,but maybe change the fish's fins cause they look kinda furry

Grillsovs

I would never have seen the map if you hadn't written it. It's nice as it is, though. Somewhat uninteresting, since it's just some karps (or koi or whatever :P), when I can't see the map. For me you should've made the map more obvious, made it stand out more, to give the "Fish... hey wait a minute..!"-effect ;) Now it's just "Meh, fish.."

3 for the artwork, though.

Dahnlen

I'd love it on a rich brown shirt.

heyheyitsme

i eventually saw the map...i like the idea but feel it needs more contrast/color changes or something, they all kind of blend in...what if there was a more contrasting color on the fins, and maybe some shading worked in on their bodies to make them more 3 dimensional?

lyrablackheart

I LOVE THIS. Koi kick much butt. And I saw the map right away, I just wasn't sure what it was a map OF.

x-kayti

I agree, the map needs to be a little clearer. I didn't spot it for a while xD

No account?
Join Us