Close
One second...

Aokigahara Jukai

• by jantal
  • posted May 27, 2007
  • 40 Comments

Aokigahara Jukai, also known as the Sea of Trees, is a forest that lies at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is an old forest with many legends surrounding it. The caverns found in this forest are of rock and ice, even if it is summer on the surface. Legends of monsters, ghosts, and goblins haunt the forest, adding to its sinister reputation. Aokigahara is a popular place for suicides, due in some part to the novel Kuroi Jukai (Black Forest), which ends with the lovers of the novel committing suicide in the forest. In 2002, 78 bodies were found within the forest, replacing the previous record of 73 in 1998. The high rate of suicide has led officials to place signs within the forest, urging those who have gone there specifically with the purpose of suicide in mind to seek help and not kill themselves.

Watch this
jantal

Aokigahara Jukai, also known as the Sea of Trees, is a forest that lies at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is an old forest with many legends surrounding it. The caverns found in this forest are of rock and ice, even if it is summer on the surface. Legends of monsters, ghosts, and goblins haunt the forest, adding to its sinister reputation. Aokigahara is a popular place for suicides, due in some part to the novel Kuroi Jukai (Black Forest), which ends with the lovers of the novel committing suicide in the forest. In 2002, 78 bodies were found within the forest, replacing the previous record of 73 in 1998. The high rate of suicide has led officials to place signs within the forest, urging those who have gone there specifically with the purpose of suicide in mind to seek help and not kill themselves.

AnnaV

this is interesting!

AnnaV

This is interesting!

Syrasha

Indeed, and I love the image!

MelissaMae

I love the story behind it but I think it would be better if it wasn't boxed in. Also I would try different colors, a little too dark for me.

crunchygirl

Fascinating (and sad) story.

I would prefer different colors too, although maybe you're wanting to create a sense of darkness or menace?

NeuroticSouthpaw

The image is great but it would defintely be better if it wasn't so boxed in. makes it look really rigid. I would also like to see it on grey :]

Odett

:)))

PhantomMan

Yes, menace. Aokigahara Jukai is based, among other things, on a short story, written by a hungarian writer, in which supernatural powers rule the woods round about Fuji. The writing raises a murky flutter atmosphere.

horror and fiction lovers love this stuff, so I'd buy it too ! :)

ariana221

fabulous story, loved it.

but i'm not a fan of the actual design. maybe lose the boxed image and enhance the image with more shades and tints?

xardox

I didn't mean to do it
It loved me in my head
I tried to be a charmer,
but I got a bit hopeless instead,
The world is very sexy,
It's part of my collapse...

Rock it... $5

madruga

Interesting, but I hate boxed designs...

ruby soho

Wow, awesome design! I do agree that I would prefer it not to be boxed in at the top. I love the colors you have but it might be cool to see some other options.

slmstanley

This is absolutely beautiful. $5

jantal

It have to be menacing, depressing, murderous - like the place, the connecting facts and myths themselves. The colors are symbols for blood and grief. I cannot imagine it with cute and/or dull colors.
About boxing: it's difficult to represent moonlighted sky with two colors and a background without borders. In a high resolution version there is even no box just white stripes.

angie_dee_410

i like it. but i agree with the previous comments. less boxy. also, i think the red needs to be more blood-like. and not so neon-red if there is such a color. darker red... not dull. but just. you know. deeper.

angie_dee_410

the darker it is the more mysterious and depressing and murderous it will come across.

jantal

And almost clotted. :-)))
The fresh blood is red, red, red.

Antiorder

This is definitely beautiful, but I wish that it was not so blocky, maybe make it flow into the tshirt like the bottom on the top too? 3.

impetuousfink

nix the box! boxes ALWAYS make a shirt look like it came from Old Navy.

BlueStar26

Hey is this one of the places where one of the Fatal Frame video games was based on ?

jantal

For my knowledge just second-handly. The game's woven from urban legends and Japanese myths so it's probable absorbed the Aokigahara legendary, too.

jantal

Hah! 'Legendry' I mean.

Spitfires rage

awesome shirt...never heard any stories like that when i lived in japan...$5

Tsunami Sunset

I think the design needs to be a schmidget larger

Claymore

Perfect! Don't touch it! 5$

threadlessisgay

Good job spoiling the book, moron.

jantal

Which book?

mitchell90

i think the top half should be rounded just like the bottom half but otherwise i think its a really cool lookin tee thatd id def keep an eye on.

mitchell90

i think the top half should be rounded just like the bottom half but otherwise i think its a really cool lookin tee thatd id def keep an eye on.

amoamasamat

I gotta say I think the top of the image is a little boxy... but I'm not sure exactly how you could improve it...

I like it!! :)

ascorbique

Too square and too red.

Malloranne

I love it, but I think it might be a bit too esoteric

superjono

i'd be more of a fan if the top of the image was more like the bottom - fading back into the shirt using the shape of the image, rather than the artifical cut off of the box.

otherwise nice design, but not something I'd personally wear

orwell

this is very striking. i really dig it!!

orwell

oh yeah, $5

Beckstah

Hey, I've been there! :D Love your rendition, very chilling. $5

da_squishy

Eerie. In some ways, I'm reminded of Sleeping Beauty and her castle surrounded by thorns. Nicely done :)

socalhockeygal1

really beautifully illustrated. i dig

No account?
Join Us