What do you guys think of this?

The latest: Link on Digg.com

It's pretty incredible what this guy can get away with, have you all been keeping up with this?

Here's a nice history: http://www.miketyndall.com/todd_goldman/

EDIT: the image below shows some designs of D&G's that share similar concepts to those of Threadless designs. These designs are not necessarily illegal as we can only copyright the designs themselves, not the concepts. This is just to demonstrate Threadless work that may or may not have been mimicked. A more thorough list of allegedly stolen work by other artists can be found here: http://www.miketyndall.com/todd_goldman/

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
chelly

whatta jerkwad

jackanapes

More like a jerkoffface.

shirtflirt

he's like all those people who make fake gucci and loui vitton and fake rolex's and get paid.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

I am in the wrong industry.

icebar

the bread ones are not very similar to one another at all.
the squirrel ones, on the other hand, obviously are.

icebar

i meant the 1st bread one. that's it.
the guy's dumb.

squintygirl

That's pretty retarded. Has this Todd dude ever had an original idea?

travis76
travis76 profile pic Alumni

i'd never heard of this wad before. but you also better check out what's in hot topic lately. food with faces and bird type vector stuff almost directly stylized after what gets printed here. there's a penguin with a jetpack that looks like a ross/rocketbird hybrid, and about 9 more in my local 'topic right now. i doubt they'd let me take pics, and i got no sneaky cameraphone.
seriously, same shirt colors, same central, simple, food, animal and visual gag stylings. i wish i remembered the brand on the tag.

ederlezi

Man.. on that link it shows him stealing from a lot of other people. Wow.. can't anything be done?

13strong

The toast one ain't a rip-off, but the others very well might be, and given this guy's reputation, they probably are.

I think he's a sad, pathetic, talentless hack, as well as a fucking criminal. Also, if you read any of his interviews, he comes across as the most irritating, thick-as-shit guy in the world.

Spinachlegs

these are ridiculous. As a lawyer i cannot stand for such injustice.

travis76

the first bread and the nerds thing isn't rippage, but the rest are damn close.

icebar

a bad phrase like "god loves quitters" shows that his ideas are really not good enough for tees and that's why he does this.

13strong

There's loads of stuff about this talentless retard on the internet at the moment. Check out:

www.boingboing.net

They have been watching this develop and provide loads of links. I think this is also on Digg.

jackanapes

He should expect a vile of acid in his face soon.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

lets rip out there spines - Sub-Zero style

13strong

Yo! CDPD - stop ripping me off!

theurbanraptor

honestly though...
the toast one....
i've seeeen soo many versions of toaster and toast jokes.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

I should become his business partner.

catdogpigduck
catdogpigduck profile pic Alumni

i'm just backing you up 13strong.

but i noticed my comment had an awesome link and yours doesn't

I WIN!!!

jacob dehart

I like how Goliaths tagline is "We make shirts so you don't have to". We should change threadless' to "We make shirt designs so David and Goliath doesn't have to"

icebar

has he said anything about his accusations?
and why can't he be sued or something for stealing the concept and many of the design features? concepts are just like slogans, just in picture form.

travis76

yeah, why haven't we thought of this mez. we need a get rich quick scheme.

icebar

hahaha jacob, please do that

theurbanraptor

you can't be sued for stealing a concept.

13strong

The worst ones are the paintings he does that totally copy other people's existing designs. HE sells these crappily done pieces of art for about $5000 a pop.

Mezo - I think you're a few weeks too late. This guy (hopefully) won't step out the courtroom til he's too old to walk.

icebar

i know, but you should.

travis76

i don't think on the individual level he can't be sued for the reworking of an idea, but in bulk, with the research and history of his little system, i'd say he could.

catdogpigduck

he's just a sad little man who can't draw

ohyoustealher

oh man the milk and cookies one... I actually have a Fred is Red hair tie at my house. someone got it for me a few years ago for my birthday. now I feel bad

travis76

ther e are too many talentless, thoughless people with the ability to start thier own businesses. it makes me hate.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

what a tool

catdogpigduck

he should come on here under a fake account soon and start flaming soon

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

theurbanraptor on Apr 24 '07 at 2:39pm
you can't be sued for stealing a concept.

but can he take a blade between the ribs? : O

jpiatt
jpiatt profile pic Alumni

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I hate to say it, but things get knocked off all the time, if something is selling, it'll get copied. Look at successful movies even. If some movie about teenagers in a horror movie is big, there will be 25 others the next year. Same with gifts. Beanie Babies were big for a while, and about 50 other little stuffed animals that looked almost exactly like them came out after them.

Threadless, you're big. You sell a lot. People are going to copy you. It's just a fact.
Ask Tom Burns about it...I mean, hell, he copied himself :P

bulletsalvador

wow...

what if he designed it before the shrits were actually printed. what i mean is what if the threadless artist copied this dude(dette).

who am i kidding that would be highly unlikely, i know, but it would be pretty wierd.

so what are you going to do about threadless staff.

nothing...

=(

13strong

I think he probably could be taken to court. A lot of the people he's ripped off own the copyrights for their designs or slogans, and in some cased he hasn't just stolen the idea, he's actually traced over their design.

Doesn't Threadless own the copyright to the designs they print?

melhel86

he's a sad little man, that can't draw, steals ideas and works and yet still is able to charge five grand for a shitty painting that I can get the original poster of for 12.00 at target.

icebar

i bet if they looked at his computer, there would be threadless designs all over the place and he would be in the middle of tracing them.
jpiatt, but this guy is too obvious to be ignored, and something should be done!

13strong

jpiatt - I was waiting for someone to say something like that.

This guy is making massive profits from other people's hard work, creativity, artistic skill and originality. That doesn't piss you off?

And it's not just Threadless - the guy has copied dozens and dozens of people for his company. If there ain't a law against it, there should be.

If you're imitating someone and you credit them - that's flattery. If you imitate someone and pass it off as your own idea - that's theft.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
No account?
Join Us