Close
One second...

Nerf Herder

If you're not a Star Wars geek (like me), you'll probably be going "What the...?" In 'The Empire Strikes Back', Princess Leia tags Han Solo as a scruffy-looking nerf herder, which is basically a spack hick that herds creatures called nerfs. I always loved that term. So when the kid living across the street showered me with a bunch of darts from a Nerf gun, the idea hit me (pun intended). So here's my take on what a nerf herder might look like for a chocolate shirt. Say what you will, but it was fun to make. Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Matt of 7and34

If you're not a Star Wars geek (like me), you'll probably be going "What the...?" In 'The Empire Strikes Back', Princess Leia tags Han Solo as a scruffy-looking nerf herder, which is basically a spack hick that herds creatures called nerfs. I always loved that term. So when the kid living across the street showered me with a bunch of darts from a Nerf gun, the idea hit me (pun intended). So here's my take on what a nerf herder might look like for a chocolate shirt. Say what you will, but it was fun to make. Laugh it up, fuzzball!

ninja.bassist

I love star wars but I forgot about that quote. Thanks for reminding me.

FIRST COMMENT! BOO YAH!

Aristarchus
Aristarchus profile pic Alumni

This is cute. I think I'd like to have seen a greater variety of Nerf stuff, though...

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

this is really really funny - I only wish the death star was in the scene like a moon or sunset. Great work

fade2red

id give this a 5 if you had maybe a star wars shadow of a guy instead of cowboy, the pickett fence lets you know its got a ranch theme, maybe like isaboa said, death star as the moon be awesome, ill give u a 3!

matchxcore

haha nice job. i didnt know what those were at first.

thelottery

I like it as-is, with no actual "Star Wars" reference. If you incorporate movie imagery you run the risk of over-doing a good thing.

thelottery

Or... to contradict myself... keep the cowboy, but give him Han Solo's gun in a holster on his hip. Now you're cookin' with Crisco.

N2O

Ha! I need this and the "Walking Carpet" one!

sjgrovo

this rocks!!!!!!!!

smitten kitten

Great, but I'd like to see a nerf football

Miss Haha

star wars rules. i agree w/ thelottery - you don't want to over do the sw reference, but it should be in there. nothing beats a good hans solo reference. :)

renfrew

I like the idea alot. If the cowboy was wearing a jedi cloak or had a light saber, and maybe some more assorted nerf toys it would be neat

BizarreCreation

holy krap I love it.

I things the idea w/ the lightsaber or cloak would make it better though.

Either way... 5$

Matt of 7and34

Very very good feedback. Thanks!

Matt of 7and34

I originally was thinking various Nerf balls, but it seemed to get too jumbled. Plus, I thought Nerf Darts for a cowboy (who is likely to carry a shooter) made the most sense. Just my thoughts.

BigODrummer

Let me preface this by saying this is a great idea and design!

Ok, I think without explanation no one would look at this and say "nerf herder from Star Wars"...1) It's not the first saying people shout out in SW movie quoting circles and 2) I don't think Nerf right away when looking at the bullets. I think the idea is awesome and I wish I had some insight as to how to make it a little more obvious.

I do like the Death Star idea and the Han Solo gun holster idea, but the nerf's have to be a little more recognizable. And I know this will get booed, but could we maybe put NERF HERDER on the top-back-middle in the SW font to clear it up a little.

My 2 cents.

omarcm23

haha, this is quite clever, good job!

Quarrel

Oh, groovy. You've made my day!

Bowtie

Nerfs need to be recognisable: very true.

I am usually against text to explain the art, but in this case it may be necessary :/

Love the idea (LOVE IT!)

Matt of 7and34

Yeah, you may be right. I like a lot of the suggestions and I'll put my thoughts to it. You guys rock, thanks for all the comments!

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

People remember the band Nerf Herder, right? They were a flash-in-the-pan awful early 90's group that got by on their goofy name and one novelty song about Van Halen sucking or something like that....the mid-90's are all a blur to me anyways. As for this design, the han solo silhouette is a great idea, with possibly the sun setting or the moon coming out in the background, for which you could make a tiny death star in the sky, peeking over the hills for a lil' SW touch as well. 3 for now, i like this idea tho.

"WHO'S SCRUFFY LOOKIN'?"

Cantatus

Love the idea, but I agree that the "nerf" part isn't obvious enough.

Aldirtyb

It's like a geek test. If someone makes the connection then you know you have kinderd spirit present. Don't make it more obvious, what ever you do.

mefx1

good idea but i would never get it from looking at it...but kudos.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

YES FRICKIN! I thought about that shithole band INSTANTLY when I read the title.

That said, the design is alright, artwise. I am not a huge SW fan, so the concept is a bit lost on me however even without KNOWING the this is supposed to reference SW, the design still makes sense, so good for you. 3

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

nah - you guys who say nerf is not recognizable are nuts

Morals

"who's scruffy lookin?"

warwickswr

Tee hee. Diggin' Harrison Ford as the model, too. Very good, Padawan.

The Wee Straggler

Maybe it shouldn't be, but it's bothering me that the nerf darts are red. I can forgive the brown tips, but I think the shafts need to be yellow.

Pokeyshah

I remember having a foam dart gun with red darts, though I'm not sure if it was Nerf. Either way, cool idea. Not sure if it's really my style but I like the idea.

thos

Hey now, I still love that Nerf Herder band! I even have some of their cds in my car!

As for the shirt itself, I really like it. Nerf footballs I think would work well... they're so easily recognizable with the 2-color neon design.

great nate

clever but not wearable

JoNightshade

I like it but I totally did not get that those were nerf darts until I read the title. Even then I was like "Okay, Nerf Herder, Harrison Ford, get the reference... but what are those things in the feild??"

FunkyWombat

The force is strong with this one... ummm, I like it.

JoopaDoops

Maybe it's just my monitor, but the two colors on the suction cup tips are so close in value that I didn't read them as suction cups without the title. If perhaps there was an edge line or something to help someone recognize they're darts it would assist the "nerf" portion. I was going to suggest adding other nerf products, but the dart design is the only one I could think of that would read as "nerf" without having to contain the brand logo.

A suggestion for a subtle star wars reference: A moisture farm in the background and/or two suns.

anatesape

Wow... Without the explanation, this shirt is meaningless...
5 though just to be random

Thuraya

the cowboy shouldn't be wearing any Jedi paraphernalia since Solo wasn't a Jedi, but holding his blaster would be kewl. Anyone who knows anything about Starwars will totally get this without having to explain it... anyone who doesn't, well, ....

On another note, my bf and I just bought a bunch of nerf guns and we have friends over to have nerf wars. Just cuz you get past 25 doesn't mean you can't have any fun ~_^

Thuraya

oh ya, maybe not brown... I'm really not feeling that colour with this shirt

thoughtisfragile

I know several people are trying to get you to make it more obvious, but that would take away from the shirts existential value. Firstly you’re not making this shirt for everyone, because people that don’t care for SW probably wouldn’t buy it. Secondly you’re making an abstract reference that not everyone would get, and that’s half of what makes the shirt. A agree with thelottery in that Solo’s blaster might be a nice addition, but please don’t make this ridiculously obvious. Overall I love the concept, keep it up.

Karimi

Make the reference clearer.

TheloniusMnk

Nerf darts aren't all that recognizable. I wouldn't have known what they were unless I read your comment. With that said, I really like the texture you used on the darts.

stardance

I'd like to see a nerf football, too.

moodshine

theres a lot of star wars spoofs around.....

ljmaydwell

When I read the title I immediately thought of the band...then Star Wars and I agree about the suction cups, it took me a bit before it occurred to me what they were. I also agree that it might be interesting to see what it would look like with a different assortment of nerf stuff. I do love that you put Harrison in the tee though...Nice!

NessaChan

You're clever and this is cute!

Duchamp

This is the first design to make me laugh out loud today!
AHahaha. :D

TopJamen

Hahaha, sweet!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us