Close
One second...

Courtship

Just your regular toaster-sofa-bird combo.

I'm submitting two different placements. Which is better? Or would a different placement be better? Shirt colour? Any other constructive comments?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
claude.mercure

Just your regular toaster-sofa-bird combo.

I'm submitting two different placements. Which is better? Or would a different placement be better? Shirt colour? Any other constructive comments?

llamafacemoopoo

go with the first placement i think. neat design!

brett...

im not sure i understand why theres a bird on a couch and a toaster. maybe im just stupid. but it looks like you the couch and the toaster are 2 different designs and you just threw them together onto one shirt. there not at the right angles. ps. thanks for critiquing my design.

claude.mercure

llamafacemoopoo: Thanks!

brett: It's not supposed to make sense! Believe it or not, it's not two designs thrown together. I just happen to like absurdity.

llamafacemoopoo

:)
non-sequitor is good. it doesn't have to make sense

polkaxdot

i like the first placement. love the design

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

hi claude, first, thanks for the critique of my design ;-)
then, well, i like first placment, but i think that even if it'es absurd (and i love absurdity), in terms of angles, you should adjust it as we could see a continuity between the two elements...the colors are good too.

claude.mercure

I'd have to redo the whole toaster to change its angle. Maybe I'll try moving things around instead... Thanks!

chelly

i think even with the absurd element, you need something that brings them together. for instance, you could have the toaster singing a little note. also, that is a big ass bird and i would have a frickin heart attack if i saw that on my couch. :)

spires
spires profile pic Alumni

I love how you just dismiss suggestions to correct the angles. I also dismiss similar comments, because I have no hang-ups about imperfect perspective, and I'm not gonna go through hell fixing something like that for someone else.

But the perspective is a bit off.

I love how this obviously aims to make little or no sense.

claude.mercure

polkaxdot: thanks!

chelly: Thanks; that's good advice. The bird stays big, though!

SandySan

i don't like the shirt color......the V2 placement is better than the other one...little or no sense is funny especially in this case... everybody will ask the teeowner what's going on...but I want the same perspective for both...

claude.mercure

Damn. I guess the perspective is a real problem...

But spires and SandySan: I'm glad you dig the absurdity!

RABAiS

I prefer the first one. thanks for giving me some critique on my page

theozero

i like it, but the bird is too flat. The toaster and couch have perspective, (doesnt really matter that its a bit off...) but the bird is just this big flat guy thats a lot simpler than the rest.

and I think V1 position is better

claude.mercure

theozero: Dammit, you're right about the bird.

claude.mercure

How about now? Better or worse?

cherrylimeade

nahhh keep it simple. just go with your second one if you're going to keep the whole absurdity theme.

jpiatt
jpiatt profile pic Alumni

Just sub the fucking thing. It's stupid and will get a 1.2, you know it will and I don't think you really care. You're obviously not attempting to make something good here. So why waste the time putting it in critiques?

jpiatt

There's a difference between absurd things that are so absurd that they are interesting and things that are just stupid. This is just stupid and makes absolutely no sense.(Not in a good way)

You just look at it, think to yourself "Oh, so he did a google image search of a toaster, couch, and bird. Then he did a vector trace of them in illustrator and put them on a shirt template. Good for him." Then you make it zero and move on.

jpiatt

*mark it zero
not Make

jpiatt

Well, listen...you can call me an asshole, but if you sub this, you'll have people commenting on it saying a lot worse than what I said. What did I say that was so wrong?

jpiatt

I'm just being honest.

claude.mercure

I don't even know what a vector trace is, for starters. And yes, I did attempt to make something good.

But mainly it's your tone that's offensive. I don't care if you don't like it. That doesn't mean you have to hurl insults. That's what an asshole does. Stating your opinion as though it were fact isn't exactly classy either.

jpiatt

Ok, well, sub it then. You seemed to be hurt by the fact that your last one was dropped early. This will be dropped early too. I will bet one million dollars on it. Sorry if I came off like an asshole, but trust me when I say that was nothing...
When you sub this you'll have probably 10 comments from people simply saying "what the hell?" and "This sucks"

You attempted to make something good here? For real? Ok!
I honestly just thought you were subbing this as a joke. It makes no sense at all, you even said that. So clearly you're not subbing it with the intention of getting it printed.

Basically to me, this looks like you just got illustrator and you're practicing with the pen tool by taking images you got from a google image search and redrawing them in Illustrator. Then you took those 3 random items that have nothing to do with each other and put them on a shirt.

Get offended all you want, call me an asshole, but this is about as amatuer looking as anything I've ever seen here.

claude.mercure

Yeah, yeah, it sucks, you said that already.

You're a good example of how people lose their manners when they're protected by the anonymity of the internet.
"Hey, the internet allows me to be a jerk, so I might as well do it!" Gotta love that mentality.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

claude - he is just being honest and critiquing your design - you are the one who put it up here to get feedback - and Jpiatt is right about your design - just lighten up and don't take it so seriously.

you are lucky tastes like granpa didn't come by.

jpiatt

Dude...not true. This is exactly how I was durring critiques in my art classes in college. I just speak my mind. And frankly I don't think you put a lot of effort into this, so I don't feel like I should hold back that much.

claude.mercure

All your points are valid.

But there are better, less offensive ways to express yourself.

claude.mercure

ISABOA: Unless 'return to sender' is a joke submission, what you say doesn't hold much value.

ISABOA

HAHA - return to sender is SEXY you need more sex in this design buddy -

claude.mercure

Uh, ok. I have to admit I don't know what to say to that. I'll take it under consideration!

ISABOA

put a nekkid lady spread eagle on the couch and I would 5$ this

StereoKnowlege

like it better without
good though, i would buy this

wadep

Kill this design.

chelly

"spread eagle" OMG CHANGE THE BIRD TO AN EAGLE SPREADING HER WINGS and the toaster into a uh ...

claude.mercure

wadep: I like your design 'The Classics'. Cute.

claude.mercure

chelly: if you finish that sentence, I might just take your advice!

claude.mercure

Captain Critique: good thing that's untoasted bread in there!

claude.mercure

StereoKnowlege: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

wotto
wotto profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

no more toast pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease - i like the couch tho

claude.mercure

Ha ha! I think I saw you bemoan the overabundance of toast somewhere else on this site!

If it helps, the bread isn't toasted yet in this image!

SandySan

the perspective...and the size of the bird..you only add some music:/ i think this absurdity thing is right on the one hand, but on the other (wow i love my school english -sorry for this)this is a decent work , i've seen really crap here designs which are just ugly and i dont want sth ugly on breasts, but this isn't ugly in my eyes, maybe it is a short tracing but it's well done, except from the shirt colour, perspective and the bigbig bird...for my this a funny design, you must also live with opinions like jpiatt. not everybody will like it...come on push it the running maybe you win one million dollars:-)

claude.mercure

Aw, thanks SandySan. That was a nice message. I'm glad you see the humour in the design.

I know I didn't follow a lot of the advice I was given here, but it's only because I haven't had time. I do intend to see if I can improve it. The bird size is not changing, though - that's part of the appeal for me!

Although jpiatt's comments stung at first, they did make me think. I think I understand how he feels.

bryaaaant

"I'd have to redo the whole toaster to change its angle. Maybe I'll try moving things around instead... "

you really can't be lazy about a design and expect it to look good. if you're really serious about this, maybe you should spend some time. if redoing the toaster is what you think it will take, maybe you should do it. if the problem is you can't find any image of a toaster with the right angle to trace, maybe you should work with sketching - even for a person who doesn't usually draw, a toaster really shouldn't be that hard.

as for the concept, something tells me (should be pretty obvious - ha!) this is another one of those "put em threadless trends together" designs, and i'm really not a big fan of jumping on the bandwagon.

but if you do decide to sub it, good luck.

claude.mercure

Hey Bryaaant,
I actually came up with this idea before I even knew Threadless existed. I loathe trendiness. But thanks for the advice!

cherrylimeade

i just changed my mind.
first placement and make the toaster about to attack the sofa or something.
it just looks like it's peering down at the sofa in the first one, and something about that i like. connect the two.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us