Close
One second...

Should a 10 yr. old kid have a cell phone?

It so gets on my nerves as to how spoiled kids these days are... I know I might sound like I m 40 or something (I m not) but serioulsy... I work with kids (8-11 yrs old) ... so I have kids that have like 2 ipods, cell phones, myspace, blackberries..
And like this 10 yr. boy who lives with our family (he is my friend's brother) and his dad just got him a cell phone and I hate it! I think u shuld get a cell phone when you are in high school and not middle school.

Really!!???

It's just so annoying!

Isn't it?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
squeegebeckenheim

i didn't get a cellphone until i got my license. i think ten is too young.

stinksmcgee

well in middle school, people are starting to do things without their parents for the first time. i think its a good idea for people to start getting cell phones in middle school. but it should be limited, all the texting and stuff is outrageous.. and addicting.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

I hate that. When I was a counselor at camp years ago, some 8-year-old girl on my bus had a fucking cell phone. Ugh.

victimofopportunity

Yeah. Little kids at my school have shit like that.

THe thing is, they don't use them. It's pointless, I mean, I NEVER use my phone and I'm 5 years older than them. And also, where would a 10 year old go where they'd need a phone? Don't they go everywhere with their parents anyway?
THey just have all that stuff so that they can brag to their friends about it...

bhoomika

I see his cell phone ring like in the middle of the night and he is always talking on it.

I didn't get a cell phone till I was in 10 or 11th grade.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

I'd mainly worry about the health risks. Nothing is proven though. Half of the information out there says mobile phones are bad and the other half says they're safe.

MeLa de Gypsie

the thing about cellphones now, is that instead of being luxury items, have become necessities.

So it wouldn't really be right to compare mobile phone ownership with circumstances when we were younger then... and with now.

I mean... I only got a pager when I was 17 and most kids had them when they were 15... and only a cell when I was 19...

in Singapore... mobile phone ownership for people over the age of 13 is around 98%

rough estimate.

bhoomika

exactly.. its all about bragging!
Like, these kids that I work with most of them got like IPod Nano and now they are like.. Miss. Bhoomika.. I can't belive you don't have a Ipod nano.. OhMygod! u should so get a ipod!

i Just started laughing!!! oMg! u should give me yours then :-)

esthergrondahl

I think it's good for emergencies ONLY. I had a 3rd grade student that was in a bus crash. She called her mom and her mom picked her up and took her to school. Only for emergencies.

victimofopportunity

when my little sister (she's like 13, so not that little, but still) first got phones, we were told not to text or anything like that because it wasn't on our plan. THen, she goes out and runs up a texting bill of $300. It was crazy. A girl who used to be my friend once ran up a 1000 cell phone bill in 7th grade. I don't see how anyone could spend that much on a phone bill.

bhoomika

well this boy who lives with us is 10 .. but will be turning 11 in june.. and he is in 5th grade. (guess he started going to school early) i dont know.

esthergrondahl

I could see how it would be useful for emergencies, parent pick ups, and if there were a school shooting or something.

victimofopportunity

If there was a school shooting i have a feeling the school would send out a phone tree or something. RIght?

That's what my school does during weather emergencies and such

lenabean

NO JESUS CHRIST NO. DONT LET THEM HAVE CELL PHONES

my 11 year old sister has one its hell for all of us she spent more on her first month bill with the cellphone than i have in my entire 2 years of haaving one

special k

arg, so annoying!
i wrote this entire long post about my sister's 7 yr old friend being spoiled, and having a RAZR and other such things, and only that last two things showed up.
i hate when that happens.

:(

special k

*the not that.

esthergrondahl

I agree that kids are spoiled these days. The kids I teach get everything and it is annoying.

I do see how having a cell phone could help, if it were under some strict rules.

grypesagon

They make specific phones that have 3 programmable speed dial buttons and the standard fire, police and ambulance buttons and that's it. I beleive they can still take calls though so it's almost a good idea. but yeah those are the types of phones I would expect a 10 year old to have

victimofopportunity

Kids in 6th grade have got phones and I asked one of them who he was going to call, his mom? It was funny because he got all defensive about it and started showing me everyone on his contact list. It was basically everyone he sees at school every day. q

grypesagon

oh in case it wasn't clear the phones have no number pad. so thier only able to call one of the emergency pre programs or one of the the other 3 preprogrammed

this.passion.is.a.plagiarism

I just got a cell phone this year, and I only use it after the kids I'm babysitting are asleep or to call my parents and check in. Also for safety reasons.

esthergrondahl

So Bhoomika....is your issue with cell phones or with spoiled kids? Seems like it's with spoiled kids.

grypesagon

what esther said. inquiring minds want to know!

bhoomika

ya i Think those Disney phones are good.. cause parents can keep track of them but not these Vcast cell phones.. like they have different ringtones and stuff.. (that cost moneY)

bhoomika

its more like Spoiled kids!

victimofopportunity

I got my first phone in 7th grade. I was supposed to share it with my 2 sisters, but I didn't like it so I just let them have it. THen, when my older sister & dad got new phones, they went ahead and bought me and my younger sister two really cheap ones that were pratically free. I still don't use it. I guess I just hate phones.

esthergrondahl

Yeah, we are reaching a new level of materialism in America. Something needs to happen.

truxdat

AH, THAT IS SO GROSSS WHEN LITTLE KIDS HAVE CELL PHONES! all of my friends got theirs in 6th grade and i thought it was outrageous then, and I still do. I got mine at age 16 and I don't think I really need it. blaha;slkdjf.

special k

the disney phones are just little tracking devices, i still dont think it's right that a 7yr old had, and still has a RAZR.
what a little spoiled brat.

esthergrondahl

There is this level of entitlement and arrogance that kids are raised with. They don't even know they have it.

bhoomika

Seriously... if we all look back and see what we had when we were 10 or 11... I doubt any of the things that the kids have today would be there.

Like I remember having a Packerd Bell Computer (which I only used to play games on not Internet).

Okay I guess Cell phones and all the other gadgets weren't around then yet I don't think that if these kinda gadets exist - they are made for kids or are meant to be bought for kids.

No?

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

I believe that young kids should have a cellphone. Not a normal one though. Theres a company out that makes ones that are pretty much an emergency line and a tracking device for parents to know where theyre children are and what they are doing at all times. I know id be very nervous if I had a kid and didnt have any way to contact him/her when needed or know where he/she is.

For the older kids all the way to elders. A phone should only be used as a device that you use every once in a while to contact each other and for emergencies. This texting business and constantly having the phone up to your ear is a bunch of crap. Everyone is becoming unable to socialize with each other in person.

esthergrondahl

I had an awesome scooter, my little ponies, and then there were z-cavaricci's in middle school.

bhoomika

And then there are IPOD (I really honestly thought that IPODS were probably created for joggers.. I seriously think that)

But then these kids have ipods... iF i had a kid, I wouldn't get them!

UGH! Omg! he is in the shower now and he freakn took his cell phone with him in the bathroom and I hear it ring! OKay so may be this boy is getting on my nerves too!!
:-D

grypesagon

first off...

has anyone else noticed that esther is a total knockout? cause I can't be the only one.

second...

when i was 10 I remember my parents having a conversation just like this about my apple IIe and my color tv.

esthergrondahl

Yeah, he just sounds spoiled. You should hide it in the ceiling, like that episode of the office.

special k

xiv, that's really funny that you should say that.
not to say that i dont agree with the latter.
my global studies class was just having a discussion on this topic recently, and my teacher brought up the same point about cell phones and internet aswell leading people to become antisocial.

grypesagon

oh and my legos!!! I was a lego maniac!

bhoomika

little ponies? what? woah! cool childhood!! .. like real ponies or stuff toys?

esthergrondahl

Awww.....Thanks. You should see what I look like now - totally gross.

esthergrondahl

No, My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake.....toys.

bhoomika

oh haha! i was like .. no way she had real cute ponies!
haha..

Oh I was never into those either.. :-(
But I loved teddy bears!!!
I have like a huge collection of stuff toys!!! (i still do.. actually now that I work with kids.. I give it to them - like student of the week thing)

:-D

victimofopportunity

I think it's weird for little kids to have iPods

THey probably have like 100 - 200 songs max (if that much) and it's all probably crap that they've heard on MTV or somewhere. I mean, c'mon. iPods are good if you've got a whole bunch of music, but if you've just got a couple of hundred songs, then why don't you just get a less expensive MP3, that way you don't have to blow all of your parent's money on an iPod.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i agree with xiv

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i think those types of kids cellphones only allow you to have numbers of your parents'/relatives phones, or they can only program them in, or something.

esthergrondahl

It's more a statement of "look how rich I am, I can afford and iPod." Parents are teaching their kids to feel good about themselves only if they have certain material possessions.

grypesagon

:-P psh whatever. your opinion is biased and therefore invalid. keep up the down talk and I'll have all my 6-12 year old cousins calling you constantly!

(see... the trick is making kids with cell phones work FOR your evil ends)

esthergrondahl

But an emergency cell phone with the "parent only" call function is a good idea.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us