Close
One second...

Blue Note Jazz

Homage to Blue Note album cover designs by Reid Miles, who designed nearly 500 album covers for the label, back in the heyday.

Blue Note label reads: "Stereo. Only the finest jazz."

Two colors. Piano key design element would wrap around back with more jazz illustrations similar to one shown (preview too small, hopefully will provide link to other illustrations soon).

Watch this
get a clue design

Homage to Blue Note album cover designs by Reid Miles, who designed nearly 500 album covers for the label, back in the heyday.

Blue Note label reads: "Stereo. Only the finest jazz."
Two colors. Piano key design element would wrap around back with more jazz illustrations similar to one shown (preview too small, hopefully will provide link to other illustrations soon).

J-Ray

It looks kinda cool but the black and white keys aren't sequenced correctly, nullifying its charm. :(

issie

honestly, the concept's good, but I don't know if you're allowed to print the blue-note logo on a shirt... with the copyright and stuff.

suzabee

maybe you should make the figures at the hem of the shirt a bit bigger, or move them above the piano keys ... also put the piano keys in the right order & make sure the copyright for the blue-note won't hinder you

get a clue design

Thanks for good thoughts/comments thus far...i likee.

Please do not take sequence of keys so literal: actual keys are not swaying up & down either! But, if it gets it printed, I'd certainly be willing to correct the black keys.

per blue note logo: not unlike many other designs in urban culture that "highjack"a corporate logo, (say the Coke or Pepsi lettering) but with completely different words, letters, etc.
...for what it is worth.

147mph

Mmmmmm Good! Love the free keyboard. Nice work. $5

roundredhead

I love, love, love the concept as explained by your note, and I love the miles davis quote. But I didn't realise those were piano keys until you told me. They looked like very jarring white blocks. Please work on the design (possibly drop the keys and work in the quote) so I can give it a high score.

friendenemy

two words: copyright infringement.
blue note's logo is definitely trademarked

skafiend007

I like it, but with the placement of keys was a little better. I wouldn't want a series of white lines drawing unneeded attention to my midsection. Can you run them vertically? Still, cool.. Blue Note rules...

Sinareo

Being a huge fan of jazz (and a jazz bassist myself), this is a must for me. Very nice.

vixyish

I adore this-- but like others, I didn't realize they were piano keys until I read your comment. Even in the zoomed-in one I thought they were just blocks. I'd suggest fixing the black keys not because things can't be less literal (like having them bounce up and down) but because it would be a way the viewer can tell easily, at a glance, what they are. Do that and I think this would be perfect.

I wish we could see the other jazz illustrations you mention.

Also, more personal preference than anything else, I would adore this on purple. Or, for a second choice, blue. More jazzy to my mind... :)

panicman

Too jazzy for my taste but I would consider buying it.

Trouton

I love the little guys. I wish they were more prominent.

get a clue design

vixyish:
Part of the reason the keys element was not literally drawn is because they were inspired by the design of a particular blue note album cover. The white "keys" were very free form, NOT realistic details of keys. Like jazz, they can be interpreted as you wish.

The orange and blue colors were specific to many blue note album colors popular back in the hey day. I agree it would look good on blue...and black for that matter.

I will do my best to add a sample of the other jazz illustrations soon.

auttiesmalls

bigger blue note-ish label, i would buy if keys didn't go around, not personally keen on the wraparounds, excellent idea besides, great job!

bektravels

Hey this is cool... I'd buy it for my Dad (he's a big jazz fan)

MR_DAVE

Wow. No.

TheloniusMnk

Yeah, you can keep the keys "wavy," but I would prefer the key orientation to more accurately represent a piano (in terms of where gaps for the black keys are). I also feel like the horn players need to be much bigger, and possibly moved over into the center shirt area.

I'm a jazz lover myself, so this shirt really appeals to me. There could, however, be trouble with the "circle and square" Blue Note logo, which is definitely trademarked. Can't wait to see some of your other jazz-themed shirts!

Jazper

I love blue note records; hell, I was listening to one as I came upon this design (Stanley Turentine: Blue Hour). The design is OK for me, but not fantastic. I am a huge fan of the Blue Note art too, and this just doesn't quite do it for me when invoking such powerful art that looms so large over design to this day (whether people are aware of it or not). Also, Blue Note sell t-shirts on their website, so you've definitely got a copyright problem. For instance, could Blue Note make the case that this could be mistaken by a consumer for one of their products? Probably.

On the plus side, I did know that those were piano keys. I'd say take inspiration from some of that Blue Note stuff, and just use it to forge something that invokes that style without being so specific about it.

pfah

nice work. if this was in the store, i'd buy it. people are making a good point about the Blue Note logo copyright issue, even if the text is different. i love the keys and find it hard how you could not immediately recognise these as piano keys. keep up the great work and submissions!

ihablue

I love the shirt the only thing that would make it any better is "More cowbell!" Just a side note: "that looks like a really really really hard piano to play." , just as sure as I am that Jetblue airlines offering extra leg room means it is for someone with an extra leg. Also, I am almost positive that the image of the guy play a clarinet is me, which I have self proclaimed my image as having a copyright, so yet another fish to boil. But, what the heck, I would buy the shirt anyway.$5

applegary

This is very nice, it strikes a chord with me! I'd wear it... AND pants. $5

Super Slothman

This is super cool. Blue is my favorite color!

pfah

applegary really must like this design if he's promised to wear pants.

RadimusPrime

Very Nice! I like the artistic impersonation of the albums and era's musical influences. Very well done. GJ!

get a clue design

thanks all, glad the majority are "getting" the general feel & intent.

applegary

What?! Dropped early?!?! Same with my pants then!!!

get a clue design

Thanks for the props applegary...

What started as a great idea has seemingly delved into a morass of mediocrity...called "Threadless"

glitterbugblue

Not much into jazz, but being a creative person myself, I like the concept. And, I knew they were piano keys, too. HELLO!!! Jazz and other MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS! 2 + 2 does equal 4, right?

No account?
Join Us