Close
One second...

I love comedy (and hate ignorant people who talk about it)

I love comedy and I watch a lot of it. I get angry at people who have opinions about comedy, but know little to nothing about the craft. I hate when people say, "That comedian wasn't funny." If you haven't watched stand-up comedy in a variety of setting a whole bunch of times, if you know little to nothing about the roots of stand-up comedy, perhaps you shouldn't be so opinionated. You should probably say, "I didn't care for that comedian. Clearly, people were laughing, but I just don't like that style of comedy." You can voice your opinion; do not voice your opinions as facts.

So many young girls today love Dane Cook. Why? Because Americans don't know what they like, they like what they know. They've heard of a handful of comedians and they've chosen Dane as their favorite. No. Go out and do some work-- Look at all the great comics who are out there before you choose.

Here are some people to look for: Sean Rouse, John Hoogasian, Matt Braunger, Kyle Kinane, Wyatt Cenac, Anthony Jeselnik, Ryan Stout, Robert Hawkins, Dan Mintz, Brian Regan, Greg Fitzsimmons. And I'll post more as I think of them.

Watch this
lenabean

i do not like dane cook and i am a young girl so nyeh
i saw dan mintz last night at the improv i beleive. he was really funny except i was really sick so i couldnt laugh
brian reagan is funny in a dopey way, its something about his voice but i liek him. i dont know anybody else you said but i will look them up mr. comedyresearch

speedyjvw
speedyjvw profile pic Alumni

right now i like demetri martin
i find him funny
i enjoy stand up

lenabean

i love demetri martin. also jim gaffigan, eddie izzard, patton oswalt, maria bamford, sarah silverman, brian poshen(i dont know how to spell it), richard pryor, lenny bruce, bill hicks, eugene mirman, steve martin, jessi klein, mike birbiglia, aziz ansari, david cross, daniel tosh, todd barry, the sklar brothers, zach galafkanakajaksdjfas, mitch hedberg and more people but im tired

exoticrobotic

demetri martin is sooo good wow

lenabean

oooh i forgot noel feilding and julian baratt because yeah the mighty boosh

kayceislost

demetri martin, brian regan, daniel tosh, mitch hedberg, george fucking carlin...

comedyresearch

I didn't want to mention Demitri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Eddie Izzard, etc.

Because my main point was that you should be seeking out comedians who ARE NOT ALREADY successful.

exoticrobotic

this same thing could apply to music. there will always be the undergroudn ppl saying 'you dont know shit about music'

lenabean

there will always be people who say you dont know shit about whatever. i would not be suprised if there were people at dog shows like "oh you havent heard of the african lion hound? psh, you dont know shit about dogs". people like what they like and alot of the time what they like is shoved in their faces yelling "and then i punched it IN THE FACE!" over and over. so whaddayagonnado. look for underground comedians yeah and then they get big and the cycle starts all over again with the next name

exoticrobotic

haha yea lena i love when ppl are like 'i knew that band when they threw shows for 10 ppl" and when they get big they are all 'ew they are pop'

kayceislost

yeah, this applies to everything in life ever.

just be happy enjoying what you like, and let other people, even if they are idiots, enjoy what they like.

speedyjvw
speedyjvw profile pic Alumni

why should i not like a comedian because people know who they are
i dont think it makes them less funny
it shouldnt affect how i look at them as a comedian

lenabean

its music! ahhhghh if people really liked the person they'd stick with them all the way through and not brag about how far back they go with some band that probably doesnt even know their name. and the best part is sharing music with other people so that they can appreciate it like you do and it helps the band out. sheesh

lenabean

oh ok.
good luck with the brain wrapping

Laborpsus

I'm with Brian on this one....Ryan Stout is terrible

No account?
Join Us