One second...

this shirt is my life

i saw someone wearing this last time i saw hamlet at the chicago shakespeare company (an admittedly emo play) and i was half tempted to rip it off of that person and take it home. luckily my patience has paid off.

and i think i have permission to depise emo poems. i once fell victim to a self proclaimed emo poet and forced to listen to her god awful poems on a bus ride. an exceedingly long busride.

i've never been the same since.

Watch this
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

uh oh...another lemon?

i don't know if that's allowed...

hamlet is not emo. yes it is dark and insane and revengeful.. but not emo. supporting this shirt and then calling a work of shakespeare's emo is quite hypocratical.

hamlet is manic depressive, suicidal, doesn't get along with his parents, and has girl problems. i consider these characteristics to be the foundation of emo. that and screamo music about said issues.

and yes, i am a hypocrite, but i wasnt meaning to compare the works of shakespeare to modern day emo poems written by angsty teenagers who listen to screamo music, i just mentioned it because i found it mildly ironic.

dont take things so seriously.

Not all emo is bad. I do enjoy a nice emo song every once in a while.

FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

the bands that original made the emo sound are the only emo worth listening to (The Promise Ring, Appleseed Cast, Failure, Sunny Day Real Estate), with everything post-Dashboard just being distilled of any real emotion and replaced with Linkin Park-level stupid pain release (Story of the Year, My Chemical Romance, a billion other whiny vaguely-rockish bands).

After seeing anyone wear a particular Threadless shirt, there's no way I'd buy it. Fortunately I haven't seen anyone wearing this yet.

I think shakespeare would hate emo poems not because of the content (because shakey was a bit angsty too wasn't he?) but because of the unimaginative, cliche-packed, way they're written.
But hey, who are we to stop anyone from writing poems? I just really really love this t-shirt :) I want to wear it to lectures!

i'd like to indulge you all with an emo poem

Lady of silences
Calm and distressed
Torn and most whole
Rose of memory
Rose of forgetfulness
Exhausted and life-giving
Worried reposeful
The single Rose
Is now the Garden
Where all loves end
Terminate torment
Of love unsatisfied
The greater torment
Of love satisfied
End of the endless
Journey to no end
Conclusion of all that
Is inconclusible
Speech without word and
Word of no speech
Grace to the Mother
For the Garden
Where all love ends.

TS Eliot

.....i guess sometimes you just can't tell the difference.

No account?
Join Us