Close
One second...

Why do you mark it a 0?

A lot of voters these days fly through a lot of our submissions clicking on nothing but 0 unless something REALLY awesome catches their eye. Some vote 0's if they don't like the colors, the designer, the template used for the submission, or they'll just mark it a zero because they are in a rush.

It's pretty lame if you ask me. But this isn't a blog to whine about it. I'd just like to know, why do you mark something a 0? Personally, I only give a 0 score to a design if it is stolen or comes off offensive. I'm offended by obvious/clear declarations of racism, or the excessive use of vulgar words.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
chelly

stolen, total lack of effort, offensive = zero

lincolnish

Lack of creativity, execution, too sloppy, too boring...lots of factors contribute to the dreaded zero. I don't use it much though.

castle
castle profile pic Alumni

I've started only scoring good designs or concepts that I like with 3 or better. I haven't given out anything less since I switched usernames.

spires
spires profile pic Alumni

I zero when the execution is horrendous, or program defaults were obviously used. Or when someone seems like they are out of their element, and should stop it.

Or if I disagree with the philosophy strongly enough.

Outlaw01

I wonder how many times "SKIP without scoring" is actually used...

spires

If i perceive a certain designer as intolerably overrated, and they put out something fairly weak, I'm more inclined to reach for the 0

ButterflyWings

I've used the skip without scoring before when I wanted to wait for an explanation of the design or a link to a larger image.

The only time I've scored a sub a zero is if the art was stolen, if the design was in really poor taste or if it was really, really badly drawn or put together.

valorandvellum
valorandvellum profile pic Alumni

I actually have the same exact deal as chelly. Mostly it's given for plagiarism though.

Outlaw01

lol, even if it's badly put together/drawn, I give it a minimum of 1. I usually think "Well, at least it's not offensive".

kayceislost

If its stolen, definitely a zero, otherwise I usually give minimums of 1's as well. I don't give out many 5's though.

chelly

i've given more fives than i have zeros

summerstorm

First of all, I am not a designer in any definition of the word. I have no artistic talent whatsoever, and I always keep this in mind when scoring submissions (because I certainly couldn't do any better). I very rarely give a zero, but one thing that really irritates the shit out of me is when someone sends in a submission and then enters a comment such as, "I wasn't really happy with this design but I was in a hurry to get it in for __ contest and it's something I came up with really quick. Please leave me nice comments!" Seriously, don't waste our time with that shit! That is the fastest way to get a zero from me. If YOU don't even like your submission and think it's a crappy design, then why in the hell would I want to buy it? I think it's important to feel confident and proud of something with YOUR name on it that shows you put forth some effort. That is all... sorry for the rant.

Outlaw01

My votes usually stay in the 2 or 3 range. Only a few designs cause me to vote otherwise.

kayceislost

Oh crap Chelly, now I feel bad. I've given more 0's than I have 5's.

Outlaw01

Well said, summerstorm!

kayceislost

Me too Outlaw, except sometimes I lower into the 2-1 range... which I must have done for a while a while back, showing by my average score...

chelly

well, i think i've handed out thousands of threes...so don't feel bad.

summerstorm

ahem Thank you Outlaw! :)

yeahwellalright

I give everything I like enough to buy a 5$ and everything else a 0 because I don't care what happens to it. :)

Outlaw01

Doesn't that make you feel as though you're being overly obtuse?

chillaware

chelly, first comment = pretty much what I do too, I hate sexual crap, copyrighted stuff, and pictures that look like a Microsoft Paint doodle.

TheStacyPuff

I have never given a zero yet.

yeahwellalright

Because I get pleasure out of giving zeros and possibly killing a young designers dreams of getting printed.

I know what I like and if I don't like something it gets bounced.

Outlaw01

There are better ways to stroke an ego, IMO.

Outlaw01

Oh yes, and I also want Fascist Food, Post Human Caravan, and Starry Slumberland

spires

If Fascist Food was ever printed, I'd be totally surprised! It would be funny to see the reaction and hate blogs.

Outlaw01

That's probably a perfect example of a design that was destroyed by zeroes.

A serious message was delivered using shock art -- and I bet a majority of the Threadless community just aren't used to shock art that powerful yet. So... 0, 0, 0. Quite sad really.

eskimokiss
eskimokiss profile pic Alumni

yeahwellalright is why i think there should be an age limit ( or an iq entry test) to join threadless.

yeahwellalright you are a moron

Outlaw01

Just to make this clear.

Lets NOT turn this into a flame blog

eskimokiss
eskimokiss profile pic Alumni

don't worry outlaw, i'm not the flaming type, i wouldn't have responded to her 15 year old back chat anyway. Just had to get it off my chest.

Outlaw01

I do however agree with the idea of creating some sort of new system that will prevent the mindless spamming of undeserved zeroes.

Outlaw01

I understand, eskimokiss.

spires

Outlaw, I wonder if I had used nice vectors like Tom Burn's "He is risen" if I had gotten so much static for that design. Don't get me wrong, I love Tom's design; I'm commenting more on the effect style has on the threadless masses.

I suspect that happy vectors turn even the most knee-jerk idiots into puppy dogs.

Outlaw01

Tom's design can be deemed offensive, true, but the happy-go-lucky parody will earn him a lot of 5's as opposed to 0's.

I don't know if you could recreate your design with that sort of feel and still layout the intended message or idea.

i carnt spel

i very rarley mark a zero....

when i do it is because of plagerisum, or an absolute atrrocity overused and poor concept of a design

however this is something that may seem odd and it would rarley be a zero but i may mark a design a 1 when there i think is pretty bad but everyone else is raving about it...

yeahwellalright

So if something is not creative, doesn't look good as a shirt, isn't well done, etc. I should give it points anyway?

Obviously it was a joke saying I get pleasure out of killing dreams. I hardly think not getting printed is in fact killing ones dream. And I don't expect my one vote even matters so much if other people like it.

Outlaw01

It's a good way to trust (or respect) the rest of the community and their opinions, i carnt spel.

Outlaw01

I know it's like all the voting propaganda you can hear during election time -- but at Threadless, voting does matter because, while we have a big community, it's still relatively small to the point where every vote counts. What you describes sounds like it deserves a 1, yeahwellalright. As mentioned by many in this blog, 0's are given to cheaters and offenders. If you despise a design so much because you simply don't like it or wouldn't wear it, "SKIP without scoring" would probably be your best action. You should give that a try and see if it suits you.

mlnewco

Something has to be really bad for me to vote a "0". I pretty much agree with the above sentiments of stolen, zero effort and intentionally offensive equaling a zero.

i carnt spel

i meant to say...

however this is something that may seem odd and it would rarley be a zero but i may mark a design a 1 when i think it is pretty bad but everyone else is raving about it...

i guess i just think that sometimes threadless can be a bit buddy buddy, and on ocasions bad designs by good designers get way to much love

Outlaw01

Ah, alright. I understand. I don't agree with the low scoring unless the design deserves as such, but do as you must, right?

amandamae

If something is fairly good, I score it a three or so. If I absolute love something, five. Rarely, five and buy.
If I don't like something, I usually skip it. No point ruining someone's score with a zero when they tried, and put it out there for people to see.

I only score a zero if a design is truly truly terrible, or just not right for threadless, in my opinion.

BrandonB11

So if something is not creative, doesn't look good as a shirt, isn't well done, etc. I should give it points anyway?

obviously the shirts u give 0s cant be the worst shirts uve ever seen every time... u should rate it on how well the design is made on a 0 to 5 scale.... i mean theres a reason y threadless made a 0 to 5 scale not just an id buy it button and a complete shit button... and i totally agree with what eskimokiss said

BrandonB11

and usually i score a 3 if its well done and lower if i dont like it adn higher if i really like it... hardly any 0s

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

chelly pretty much nails what i mark a big ol' fat zero with. A 1 or a 2 is usually what i give most designs, because even if something is completely not for me and/or looks like a concept i have seen done a million times better a million times before, i usually still scor it at least a 1 because that artist took the time to make something and that deserves acknowledgment. I actually take the scoring very seriously and have marked a zero probably on less than 30-40 subs in the 7500 i have rated...but a ton of 1's and 2's have been doled out. 3 is for a good concept that needs to be fixed or something that is well-done but not something i'd want to wear perosnally, 4 is for an extremely focused and unique design, a 5$ are for subs that really introduce something new, have extradinary design qualities and/or a design that i know i would wear ever chance i get!

Outlaw01

Sometimes I grade well known artists slightly harder. They tend to set the bar and it's a shame to see their work drop below their potential. Wow, I sounded like my teacher, lol.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

These days I hardly give out any zeros due to the subs being better. Something has to be really awful to get a zero, and I feel a cunt just zeroing stuff because I dont like it.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us