Close
One second...

the MADNESS of MISSION 6

• by travis76
  • posted Dec 18, 2006
  • 173 Comments

submission for the 5+5+5 competition.

True story:

In 1976, Cosmonaut Nikolai Peckmann was sent alone to an orbiting space station for what would be called Mission Six- to study the radiation levels and strange circumstances that killed all four crewmen of the last research mission.

By the third day, Peckmann's broken transmissions were coming back to ground control filled with increasing paranoia and delusion. He claimed that the spirits of the dead cosmonauts were coming to claim him, and that he had to keep moving to evade them. He shouted that if he could capture consume these spirits himself while he still had strength, he could move to the next level of consciousness...Truly the rantings of an insane man.

Indeed, video recovered later would show Peckmann running around the confined but maze-like station, downing emergency sedatives like a madman....pausing in a corner momentarily, only to throw back vitamin pills and give chase to his invisible demons.

He had exhausted the entire cargo of vitamins, pills, and fresh fruit well ahead of schedule. There was no way another crew could be assembled to rescue him before he starved. After one rather violently garbled transmission, the static cleared and the last live image on record is that of Peckmann's empty, wilted spacesuit on the cabin floor.

It was determined that another mission to recover any remains or gather any more research would be a waste of the people's money, and the station was allowed to drift out of orbit and into space- a failure never to be mentioned again. It was ordered and assumed that all video and paper evidence had been destroyed.

..then, at the dawn of the eighties, a fledgling arcade game company called NAMCO would stumble across the transcripts of these events, and the rest -as they say- is history.

okay i just made all that crap up, but with or without a story, I hope it's a cool design.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Hurray Beer

They just keep getting better!! Love your art man!!

HollyG

That story is simply awsome.

gamejunkie

Oooh, this is AMAZING! 5$

Toru0Okada

Really cool. I hope they don't make this one a 12 club too...!

sl8763

reminds me of the old EC horror comics. I would love to own this! 5$

Leslee

Amazing work, as usual!

alphabetapi

ph-ph-ph-PHANTOM SPACE MEN!!!!!! $5

LionelM

Ahhh!! This is awesome. $5.

Reallly awesome.

adam antium
adam antium profile pic Alumni

I simply love this one.

Hakaidur

On navy!

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

lovely....needs a big 6 though!!

tomburns
tomburns profile pic Alumni

dude, you are killin it lately! 5$

sugarkitten

you should write scripts - they would be much better than anything that is coming out now - and your shirt should get printed

lemonalle

oooh, cool story! this is really neat

chelly

BRILLIANT $5

Pseudonymity

i see ur genius in both the design and misleading story
5$ best tee since 1976

JesiR

For a second there I thought you were serious...

maija

Oh yeah. I want a tee and a major motion picture.

macgruder

This is the shirt I MUST HAVE! I love this, although I do miss the faded maze behind the ghosts.

$5!

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

Excellent! 5$

travis76
travis76 profile pic Alumni

if ross and the gang want this printed and take a look at the blog options, i'll put the maze in or whatever they want. i liked the maze too, but the masses said without. :/

Quent

This is awesome. Brillaint use if limited colors. the whole design kicks ass. I really wish your story was true.

_Wheels03
_Wheels03 profile pic Alumni

I haven't bought a shirt from Threadless in a long time, but you can be sure that I'll be buying this on day one!

fivensky

Dude, you didn't make that up. You're not the only one that has seen a Russian movie before. Cool reference though.

fivensky

I am so onto you, Travis76.

helo

Please Add Computer Maze Again . . . . Not !

helo

I was just having fun with letters. The design does well with or without the halftone maze in the background.

Gloomymoose

Are you kidding me?! I totally fell for the story. I feel so gullible now. Hahaa. That was simply amazing. I'd almost buy the shirt just for the story.

ryehat

Please print this on black! $5

Oh Maris

Yeah..omg I was so fooled lol. That was like the best little story I've ever read! :) This is crazy cool, but the ghost/demons look exactly like ones off some old Scooby Doo episode... :)

drmtama2

this will be your highest score ever.. you can count on that

$5

little g
little g profile pic Alumni

Winner!!

You rock! This is awesome Tavis!

$5

adamwhite
adamwhite profile pic Alumni

on Navy, PERFECT!

mahalov
mahalov profile pic Alumni

this shirt is siiiiick. you're the man

rudra

dude - sleep deprivation, excessive consumption of sugar and caffeine, too much ziggy stardust, and a marathon of 1970's russian space scifi flicks - is not advised.......... or maybe it is... cuz this is an awesome design

fc gravy

this blows my mind! $5

hogboy
hogboy profile pic Alumni

Great story & idea but the composition is bugging me for some reason... I think it's that patch of space above Peckmans feet /pill box & it still feels too heavy bottom left... that aside, yet another nice piece of work

beardog101

THAT'S A TRUE STORY. I JUST GOOGLED IT. IT'S THERE, I PROMISE.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us