Close
One second...

Social Destiny

• by Pook
  • posted May 01, 2006
  • 34 Comments

"All conditioning aims at that: making people like their inescapable social destiny"

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

This design is inspired by Huxley's fantastic novel predicting a world where society was centred around a caste system; a world of government control where everyone is conditioned to accept their lives. Happiness comes in the form of a drug called soma. ("Christianity without tears - that's what soma is"). There's no poverty, war, religion, art, family or free thinking.

Huxley described Brave New World as a 'negative utopia'. I recommend anyone who hasn't read the book to do so right away

Oh, and I hope you like the tee

Matt

Watch this
Luke...
Luke... profile pic Alumni

great imagery, dig the interplay between the different elements of the design

funkie fresh
funkie fresh profile pic Alumni

the linework is great...it's like you have more than 4 colours!

suspiria

spending is better than mending

$5

Robsoul
Robsoul profile pic Alumni

excellent work... gold ink would be amazing for the one color you have in there

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

This is enjoyable to the extreme.
Love the textures!

outlawpencil

I think this could be a clearer read with fewer elements. Seems a bit of overkill to me. Not an appealing concept to me.

jublin
jublin profile pic Alumni

great use of COLORS!
i'm glad you were able to get a couple designs up for Orwell.

abeadles

Totally amazing, $5

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

5$

yion072

god i love that book

presidentsparx

a gram is better than a damn.

man what a good book.

+5 on the shirt too.

PantherDash

really nice linework and overall illustration.
great idea too.
and Matt is a sweet name.

label
label profile pic Alumni

Such a solid design...
Love the colors.
5$

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

You're very talented Pook! 5 from me man.

eskimokiss
eskimokiss profile pic Alumni

i love Brave New World!
I also love this design!
Lovely versatility matt.
5$

cchana

looks a bit like steve-o from jackass!

travis76
travis76 profile pic Alumni

one of my faves, but yeah, i wish the face was a little less ...perfectly humanized? 5 nonetheless

FerociousMack

one of the best ive seen, i would give it $6 if i could

Jonblanz

great design, illustrates the message of the book wonderfully. but i would loose the text on the bottom or rework it somehow, more subtle.

Down10

3 -- you would have gotten a 5 had you not thrown in those needless birds.

Pook
Pook profile pic Alumni

Cheers for the comments so far.

Just to clarify, the title text is obviously not part of the tee design. Also, the birds are clearly not needless and essential to the success of the design's composition

Thank you

evil_spaghetti

woah.
crazy coinkidink.
I just finished that book like yesterday.

Firinel

overly complicated

plans

glad to see you're submitting again. this is great stuff.

blkstim

That guy is HOT!!!

neb602

i'm reading brave new world right now!

Tiffanyiffic

haha i'm guessing mandatory reading lists from english teachers for all. including me.

$5...it's quite amazing

kevindujour
kevindujour profile pic Alumni

I like everything about this, except the mugshot and profile. It's too photorealistic, meaning that the man loses any metaphor tied to him because I am thinking more about his identity. I don't know who the guy is, and why he is on the shirt. I can tell its a mugshot, and the colors give me the impression of orange prison uniforms, but having a recognizable face (even though I don't know who it is) seems off.

The face in the background works so better because of the missing eyes giving it more anonymity, and the transition to two birds, telephone pole, and broken wood pieces at the top (it also sort of looks like a graveyard at the top).

I find the objects to the right of the 3rd, bottom bird, to be out of place with the style of how the rest of the design is rendered. The objects to the right of that bottom bird contain lots of detailed lineart, which only finds itself in that one location.

.onion
.onion profile pic Alumni

lovely style, but i dunno about the fat text at the bottom?

torrid_ca

I like it, but the face could certainly be more ambiguous. Lose the text on the bottom, too.

No account?
Join Us