Close
One second...

Art Versus Science

as a scientist i dont like it because it posits equality between the two.

as an artist i dont like the horizontal lines, the effect may have worked for the $1 bill, but not so here.

Watch this
mikey0145
mikey0145 profile pic Alumni

i think this rocks, it shows how they view the same thing differently. Being able to illustrate this idea is beautiful.

allisonranieri

I agree with the horizontal line thing. I think you have a good idea with trying to incorporate that into a design, but you need a larger area to put that to good use. Let's take a look at the pattern in 'piece of meat' or 'on the plains' for example. Those patterns look cool because the patterned part of the design is larger. A pattern like this one would look better when there are more continuous areas of it, instead of small chunks of patterned shadow. I hope that helps.

kathodos

yucky lines, lose them. otherwise, top idea

ni.m.
ni.m. profile pic Alumni

i forgot to leave a comment on this one when i submitted, sorry about that, but i'm glad the concept came through without any explanation.

so, i'm a scientist by day and an artist by night (mas o minus) and i wanted to make a little statement about how both attitudes can view things differently and the importance of a balanced approach to both interests for someone like me.

i also wanted to work on a way to make a design appear more than 4 colors. The lines serve both a stylistic function and also they create new colors. My goal was to make the graphic appear to be more than 4 colors from far away and also have a uniqueness to it up close. I think I made them two thick for the size of the graphic in retrospect, but i still like it.

as always, thanks for your comments!

oh, and tricky willy: on the $1 design (one of my other designs) the effect is different and was a byproduct of a poorly optimized .gif image, not actually what the graphic looks like.

mikenightmare

id buy it w/o the hor. lines

scoutti
scoutti profile pic Alumni

i think i understand why he chooses to use horizontal lines
with them there wouldn't be visually as many colours or shades
take the cylindar as an example
without the horizontal lines it'd be a irrgeularly shaped red thing.

scoutti
scoutti profile pic Alumni

oh hold on, he already said it.

blue_valentine

I love this shirt, please print it and i'd luv you forever!

blacksymphony

I don't like the colours but I like concept.

riverxo

art is science; science is art. the only thing that's doing its own thing is commerce.

but great work.

BluNova

this is awesome

telaine

I like the lines but I can't connect with the concept.

Osoamelie

The concept is a bit hard to read without the title and explanation.

montrealmassacre

i see more than 4 colors... other than that, i like it :)

StopightRave

Tan
White
Black
Red
Blue of shirt

How is it sterotypical to have a japanese artist? The concept seems pretty easy to understand without the title tho, it's an artist and a scientist seeing the same thing from different perspectives (they both drew pictures of the cylinder).

ni.m.
ni.m. profile pic Alumni

ni.m.
ni.m. profile pic Alumni

ni.m.
ni.m. profile pic Alumni

I hope it speaks for iteslf, but its a comment on how thinking from only one perspective can lead you to miss the bigger picture.

Here are nice high resolution images of the graphic on three different color shirts:
blue
pink
& off white

(i'm almost embarassed to post it, but this is a redux of an earlier design, hence the ROUND 2, which can be found here)

ni.m.
ni.m. profile pic Alumni

I hope it speaks for iteslf, but its a comment on how thinking from only one perspective can lead you to miss the bigger picture.

Here are nice high resolution images of the graphic on three different color shirts:
blue
pink
& off white

(i'm almost embarassed to post it, but this is a redux of an earlier design, hence the ROUND 2, which can be found here)

No account?
Join Us