SARU ATAMA

• by physikoi
  • posted Jun 14, 2005
  • 29 Comments
Watch this
fifteensixty

The label at the top, I'm assuming that's pointing to the hair, right?

Well, it's says "kami". But Japanese for hair is "kaminoke". "Kami" means "paper".

bottlesandcans

kinda looks like that one character from southpark that hangs with that scientist guy..

omnicat

let me guess, year 1 japanese student?

tetsuo_cs

Well said, Omnicat.

physikoi

Yeah Yeah Kaminoke... the book I have must have made a mistake!!! I can clean that up!

missg

I love my monkey! And I love this one too. SO CUTE! I'd wear this.

physikoi

fifteensixty,
Actually I don't know if your exactly right . My sources 'Japanese for Busy People I' and 'about.com' shows Kami = hair: http://japanese.about.com/bl_body.htm. So I think my illustration might still be accurate.

Omnicat,
No I just decided one day to start teaching myself how to write kana. It's a really fun language.. and actually that's why I created the monkey illustration. It started as my desktop image and forced me to read the characters and looked kinda cool.

Tetsuo_cs: I like your bio! I totally agree with your comment about "Real Designers" :)

Karnegal

My Japanese prof said kami is acceptable for hair, paper, or god.

Keepinitreal

I dig the monkey. I like it and would wear it

fifteensixty

Eh, I guess my Japanese teacher was a little on the crazy side then. Kami has been added to my vocabulary as "hair", then.

eternaLbLue286

karen, God would be used more as camisa.
and paper is gami. like origami.
no?

zogma

First of all, your design is pure genius. The monkey rocks and I must have one. Secondly, you may be a first year student, but at least you've done your homework. My friends in Tokyo have confirmed that kami means hair, as well as other things. Can't wait for the next shirt concept!

vaporboy

A nice and simple design with something i can learn to boot! Is there a website for this guys work? I could really see a site spawning of this idea... hrm.... monkeys = kewl.

dencyu

What is TAGO. We say it is AGO. That is the funny point I think.

physikoi

Yeah! That critique one is legit. It should be AGO. That I can and will fix.
This was sort of a mistype. I like to use my shortcut key commands and cntr+t changes my pointer to Text but when my language bar is open it also adds a T to that. I usually catch that!! Thanks dencyu.

NoddaSmurf

One OF the best ive seen-- very fun looking to wear-- $5
WILL BUY

tomhoch

HAHAHA I LOVE THIS SHIRT!!! IF THREADLESS DOESN'T RUN IT PUT IT ON SPREADSHIRT.COM AND I WILL BUY IT.

arexkun

am on Jun 21, 2005
karen, God would be used more as camisa.
and paper is gami. like origami.
no?

No, "kami" is like "a god" and "kami-sama" is like "God." Both are acceptiple. And no, it's not gami. Japanese changes the sounds of a conpound word to fit the sound better. "Orikami" is rather hard to say, and since g/k is just a tenten away, it's switched with "gami".

Love the shirt, by the way. No problems with the Japanese.

hopper

Sweet design. I love monkeys!

Allianya

I must have this shirt. 1) I love monkeys. 2) It reminds me of when I was a kid in Japanese language school learning words for parts of the body. SO COOL! I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

JYL

I like it.

Peachcupcake

ahh man, this so reminds me of japanese 1 last year lol. It's super cute tho, and like for the kami thing, like it does mean hair, but when ur talking about the hair on like your head, you would usually use kaminoke because it specifies what kind of hair ur talkin about. Frankly i don't find a problem with it with this design. I luvs it! 5$

thatsnotnormal

it's just way too busy with all the japanese and what not,
but that monkey seems cool
i'd sit down and chat with him

leland

I love it and I must have one. I am doing some work with an advertising firm in San Francisco, and would be interested in bringing in the designer for some front end work. As for the critics maybe you should focus on your english grammar as much as you do your japanese.

No account?
Join Us