Close
One second...

spelling standards

• by unicron
  • posted Oct 03, 2005
  • 27 Comments

Right. I like this T-shirt, but here it is: "ATRIUMS" IS NOT A WORD. THE PLURAL OF ATRIUM IS ATRIA1 DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE CARE??!!!

Watch this
sockwars

he he he

phosphodae

I care. I'm a spelling & grammar nazi. I have too healthy a love for the English language to just shrug when it's butchered.

On a T-SHIRT, even. This WENT TO PRINT.

Blahhh.

littlem

meanie

howlynart

yeah, someone already brought that up about a month ago.

RjThreadless

Hey I tried to care! obviously I have my pet peves too (cough mirror pictures cough).

Seriously though I do care and I understand, this stuff can drive me crazy too, like there their they're, you're your, then than, effect affect, etc. I guess this isn't the same thing, but its similar. I suck at spelling.

travis76
travis76 profile pic Alumni

someone actually complained that damn scientists had no question marks.

but yeah, misspelling sucks.

if you ever get someone that close to your chest in the heat of the moment and then stops making out with you because atrium isn't properly pluralized, let us know.
;)

littlem

sounds like somebody needs some cough medicine

littlem

I think it's: I Couldn't care less, peru. Like, I care so little that there's no way I could care any less...

RjThreadless

I could care less, but I don't care enough to care less. errr something.

littlem

no, I couldn't care any less than now.

nealteak

i care. the spelling on this site is generally atrocious. they should have amended it before it went to print. however, with that said, i was completely apathetic about the whole damn-scientists-question-mark issue. and i'm employed as a professional editor, so usually the finer points of punctuation do actually matter to me quite a bit. but in that case i don't feel like it detracted from the message and overall coolness of the shirt. in the case of the MTA shirt though, "atriums" is just plain stupid.

nealteak

they should correct it and reprint it. then the dumb ones will be collector's items. :P

howlynart

I used to work as a copy editor. I learned that people hate the person who corrects all their mistakes, even if they have no choice.. If Threadless doesn't catch it before it goes to print, which is their job, then forget about it. I am a spelling nazi, but I also realize that a lot of people submitting have English as a second language.

nealteak

hahaha alright well then... thanks katie. learn something new everyday about this beast the english lang. wow. damn. but still, in a medical reference?

howlynart

"The atria of the heart are also called the auricles (the Latin auricula means little ear) because they resemble the floppy ears of a dog." (from MedTerms website)

I thought that was cute.

Really, guys, get a piece of masking tape and write "atria" on it and wear the shirt.

unicron

Katie The Mofo - I stand corrected. I no longer have to cringe when I pull the T-shirt on. Cheers.

Spelling on this site does blow, though - the number of times you see someone telling a designer to 'loose' some element of their design. Jesus. I'll accept it from non-english speakers, obviously - I'd hate to see me try and write a post in Spanish.

__pg
__pg profile pic Alumni

unicron, this shirt is almost 2 years old you think you're the first one to point this out? 2 months after it was printed I got an email about this out. I thought you were right along with every one else, but you are wrong! It makes me smile to read that you still wore the shirt ever though you thought there was a grammar error. haha that’s so funny! KatieTheMofo you are my new hero. If you were older I'd buy you a beer :)

roxy0518

actually, boys and girls, and i konw this is a lil late coming, but "atriums" is an aceppted plural form of "atrium." So, every one can quite freaking out about their being a "mizspelling" on this shirt. Its ok, accordding to the dictionnary. Maybe you all should double check this stuff before you start all your bashing. Cheers

Solmu

You are trolling, right?

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

nope i care not

unicron

"actually, boys and girls, and i konw this is a lil late coming, but "atriums" is an aceppted plural form of "atrium." So, every one can quite freaking out about their being a "mizspelling" on this shirt. Its ok, accordding to the dictionnary. Maybe you all should double check this stuff before you start all your bashing. Cheers"

konw = know
aceppted = accepted
quite = quit
accordding = according
dictionnary = dictionary
- no , wait hang on - you've done this on purpose haven't you?
There was I thinking you were a moron - my mistake!

pennycakes

why am i the only person who hasn't picked up that "pulmonic" isn't a word?

it's "pulmonary". and i refuse to accept that "atriums" is a word. american spelling is the poo.

squirmsofchrome

unicron, you forgot "their" and "mizspelling"...
even if it's a spoof, damn it, don't neglect

lady4548

aren't there other things to worry about?

renfrue
renfrue profile pic Alumni

i has gold tag

neener!

No account?
Join Us