Suggestions on my design sketch: "If you pay Monkeys they´ll get Bananas!" ?

hey there, I´d like to kindly ask you to give me your suggestions on my sketch.
of course i hope you like it, but please give me your honest oppinion.

Watch this
taz-pie

i really like the monkey on the bike minus that... thing on the back. i have a gross mind, and once i saw an uncircumsized peen i can't unsee it.

personally, i would just do the monkey on the bike. add some rad details, but keep that nice hand-drawn feel you got going. yay!

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

It feels like the banana needs arms(around the monkey's belly). Maybe try to add a face to the banana too, as if "she" has been delivered from some treat. Maybe a jungle background? It's up to you. Nice drawing style.

moInk

THX guys! the last thing i want one to imagin is a oversized peen, I really got to work on that chiquita... And yep, she needs arms. definetly. Some jungle background behind the smoke, hmm maybe. cool, that´s enough motivation to carry on.. thanks again. on it.

SylvanH

Cool sketch! Love the monkey. I would love some trees and lianas on the background. Banana with face and arms would be cool, but ofcourse its a sketch ;)

moInk

ok, arms are there, gave it a little color.. i got rid of the giant cock picture in my head... so you? thanks and regards

sariahferin

Awesome sketch, I actually like the brown tones in your sketch but then color the banana yellow to make it stand out. that's just me though.but keep up the good work

taz-pie said:

i really like the monkey on the bike minus that... thing on the back. i have a gross mind, and once i saw an uncircumsized peen i can't unsee it.

personally, i would just do the monkey on the bike. add some rad details, but keep that nice hand-drawn feel you got going. yay!

You are the worst LORD JESUS! man you just do that on purpose

brennanpearson
sariahferin said:

You are the worst LORD JESUS! man you just do that on purpose

Who would you say is the best Lord Jesus? I would personally say Jesus of Nazareth, but that's just me.

moInk

thx again! the color is just to see how it comes out, way to bright right now, but it´s good to see that the banana can be recognised as what its ment to be...

moInk

Please help me... What am I supposed to do? Keep the Monkey gets Banana idea or better go with the Jungle Race concept?

What do you think?

taz-pie

man, my 5 cents is to drop the banana, and go with a restricted muted colour pallete. best i can think of off the top of my head would be like this:

also, i know this is just a sketch phase, but i would perhaps add a background that is incongruous. like maybe a dystopian cityscape, where the monkey has escaped from an animal testing facility? perhaps biohazardish? i dunno. keep going, i think.

moInk

Ok, there´s not too much of the original concept left, but taz-pie did in fact inspire me to darken the feeling of the illustration... Here comes: "The Monkey Escape"... ;)

Let me know what you guys think of it!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
moInk said:

Ok, there´s not too much of the original concept left, but taz-pie did in fact inspire me to darken the feeling of the illustration... Here comes: "The Monkey Escape"... ;)

Keep in mind how you're laying that out on a shirt, could make it or break it. You could also toy around with some typograpy to echo a movie poster

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Drop your signature, nobody wants a tee with your name on it and it totally detracts from the design.

taz-pie
lxromero said:
moInk said:

Keep in mind how you're laying that out on a shirt, could make it or break it. You could also toy around with some typograpy to echo a movie poster

yes! cool idea dude.

Wolfgang8885

I would throw in a title like lx said. Something like, "The Great Monkey Escape!"

But I do kinda feel the monkey's facial expression is a little too neutral/relaxed for being in the middle of an escape. Shouldnt he be a little feral and show some teeth?

taz-pie

also, am not mad about his exposed brains. either more brains, or no brains.

Wolfgang8885
taz-pie said:

also, am not mad about his exposed brains. either more brains, or no brains.

Oh wow haha. How did I not see the brains. Yes! More EXPOSURE!

moInk

oh yes, finally we got some conversation going! thanks a lot for your feedback!

@lx a title seems to be a good idea but i don´t know where to place it as the background might need the room... @wolfgang the expression must change with the new concept, yes i´m with that. @taz-pie i´m not sure about the "more brain exposure suggestion" but i´ll give it a try. @wharton and yes, i wasn´t going to have my signature on the shirt, anyway.

i´ll have you updated. thanks again for your oppinion!

In Brightest Day

What about having him being chased by bananas? The food he loves most has now betrayed him and wants him dead for killing and devouring so many of their kind.

moInk

oh ja, that´s a good idea, too! maybe i should start a monkey series... thumbs up. but i think i´ll stick with the dark athmosphere and animal testing theme for this one.

here´s an update of the sketch. next i shall enter the digital painting process... so i´m hoping to get some final comments on the sketch-phase from yours.

enter link description here

moInk

do you like the title? The Great Monkey Escape - doesn´t it sound a little strange?!

What about: "ESCAPE" The escaping Ape.... ;)

moInk

no more feedback? you don´t like it?

thompson98

scrap the bad type, keep working on the monkey though

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

I think the idea is great but I would have preferred it with solid colors. This kind of no constraint colorization is perfect for kitsch stuff like the Three Wolf Moon T-shirt and for some other designs but that's it. I have the same feel with this one, gradients and halos don't really fit on a shirt for me, especially with black outlines.

taz-pie

also, my 5 cents is that i prefer the previous monkey face. this is now an angry gorilla face, and this is not a gorilla body. altough what would i know, he is riding a fucking motorcycle.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
moInk said:

no more feedback? you don´t like it?

This is looking really nice. I would get primarily get rid of the text to keep the composition more vertical, so the designs fills more of the shirt's surface; when possible this always a good move. That said, the text is not nearly as awesome as the illustration so it also detracts from the overall design IMO.

moInk

Thanks again for your comments. @c-roayl: i agree with you but wanted to try giving it an realistic feel... now it´s too late. @taz: yeah, the face is gorilla like but i like the overall expression now. i don´t feel like changing it again...

Unfortunetly I have been a bit too anxious with this one and already submitted it, with another typo, but stillwith typo. And by now I think that typo sucks, too!

https://www.threadless.com/designs/escape-the-bioassay-chronicals-2 - with Promocode: CMR1O6 (am i supposed to post this here?)

So I´m going to try to submit the design again, but with no type. Really hope it will go through. What do you think?

BeckyBee3_1

Wow, what a transformation!! Read this thread from start to end.. love the final result!! :D Good Luck!!

BeckyBee3_1
taz-pie said:

Bahahaha!!

No account?
Join Us