Suggestions on my design sketch: "If you pay Monkeys they´ll get Bananas!" ?

hey there, I´d like to kindly ask you to give me your suggestions on my sketch.
of course i hope you like it, but please give me your honest oppinion.

Watch this
taz-pie

i really like the monkey on the bike minus that... thing on the back. i have a gross mind, and once i saw an uncircumsized peen i can't unsee it.

personally, i would just do the monkey on the bike. add some rad details, but keep that nice hand-drawn feel you got going. yay!

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

It feels like the banana needs arms(around the monkey's belly). Maybe try to add a face to the banana too, as if "she" has been delivered from some treat. Maybe a jungle background? It's up to you. Nice drawing style.

moInk

THX guys! the last thing i want one to imagin is a oversized peen, I really got to work on that chiquita... And yep, she needs arms. definetly. Some jungle background behind the smoke, hmm maybe. cool, that´s enough motivation to carry on.. thanks again. on it.

SylvanH

Cool sketch! Love the monkey. I would love some trees and lianas on the background. Banana with face and arms would be cool, but ofcourse its a sketch ;)

moInk

ok, arms are there, gave it a little color.. i got rid of the giant cock picture in my head... so you? thanks and regards

sariahferin

Awesome sketch, I actually like the brown tones in your sketch but then color the banana yellow to make it stand out. that's just me though.but keep up the good work

taz-pie said:

i really like the monkey on the bike minus that... thing on the back. i have a gross mind, and once i saw an uncircumsized peen i can't unsee it.

personally, i would just do the monkey on the bike. add some rad details, but keep that nice hand-drawn feel you got going. yay!

You are the worst LORD JESUS! man you just do that on purpose

brennanpearson
sariahferin said:

You are the worst LORD JESUS! man you just do that on purpose

Who would you say is the best Lord Jesus? I would personally say Jesus of Nazareth, but that's just me.

moInk

thx again! the color is just to see how it comes out, way to bright right now, but it´s good to see that the banana can be recognised as what its ment to be...

moInk

Please help me... What am I supposed to do? Keep the Monkey gets Banana idea or better go with the Jungle Race concept?

What do you think?

taz-pie

man, my 5 cents is to drop the banana, and go with a restricted muted colour pallete. best i can think of off the top of my head would be like this:

also, i know this is just a sketch phase, but i would perhaps add a background that is incongruous. like maybe a dystopian cityscape, where the monkey has escaped from an animal testing facility? perhaps biohazardish? i dunno. keep going, i think.

moInk

Ok, there´s not too much of the original concept left, but taz-pie did in fact inspire me to darken the feeling of the illustration... Here comes: "The Monkey Escape"... ;)

Let me know what you guys think of it!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
moInk said:

Ok, there´s not too much of the original concept left, but taz-pie did in fact inspire me to darken the feeling of the illustration... Here comes: "The Monkey Escape"... ;)

Keep in mind how you're laying that out on a shirt, could make it or break it. You could also toy around with some typograpy to echo a movie poster

taz-pie
lxromero said:
moInk said:

Keep in mind how you're laying that out on a shirt, could make it or break it. You could also toy around with some typograpy to echo a movie poster

yes! cool idea dude.

Wolfgang8885

I would throw in a title like lx said. Something like, "The Great Monkey Escape!"

But I do kinda feel the monkey's facial expression is a little too neutral/relaxed for being in the middle of an escape. Shouldnt he be a little feral and show some teeth?

taz-pie

also, am not mad about his exposed brains. either more brains, or no brains.

Wolfgang8885
taz-pie said:

also, am not mad about his exposed brains. either more brains, or no brains.

Oh wow haha. How did I not see the brains. Yes! More EXPOSURE!

moInk

oh yes, finally we got some conversation going! thanks a lot for your feedback!

@lx a title seems to be a good idea but i don´t know where to place it as the background might need the room... @wolfgang the expression must change with the new concept, yes i´m with that. @taz-pie i´m not sure about the "more brain exposure suggestion" but i´ll give it a try. @wharton and yes, i wasn´t going to have my signature on the shirt, anyway.

i´ll have you updated. thanks again for your oppinion!

moInk

oh ja, that´s a good idea, too! maybe i should start a monkey series... thumbs up. but i think i´ll stick with the dark athmosphere and animal testing theme for this one.

here´s an update of the sketch. next i shall enter the digital painting process... so i´m hoping to get some final comments on the sketch-phase from yours.

enter link description here

moInk

do you like the title? The Great Monkey Escape - doesn´t it sound a little strange?!

What about: "ESCAPE" The escaping Ape.... ;)

moInk

no more feedback? you don´t like it?

thompson98

scrap the bad type, keep working on the monkey though

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

I think the idea is great but I would have preferred it with solid colors. This kind of no constraint colorization is perfect for kitsch stuff like the Three Wolf Moon T-shirt and for some other designs but that's it. I have the same feel with this one, gradients and halos don't really fit on a shirt for me, especially with black outlines.

taz-pie

also, my 5 cents is that i prefer the previous monkey face. this is now an angry gorilla face, and this is not a gorilla body. altough what would i know, he is riding a fucking motorcycle.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
moInk said:

no more feedback? you don´t like it?

This is looking really nice. I would get primarily get rid of the text to keep the composition more vertical, so the designs fills more of the shirt's surface; when possible this always a good move. That said, the text is not nearly as awesome as the illustration so it also detracts from the overall design IMO.

moInk

Thanks again for your comments. @c-roayl: i agree with you but wanted to try giving it an realistic feel... now it´s too late. @taz: yeah, the face is gorilla like but i like the overall expression now. i don´t feel like changing it again...

Unfortunetly I have been a bit too anxious with this one and already submitted it, with another typo, but stillwith typo. And by now I think that typo sucks, too!

https://www.threadless.com/designs/escape-the-bioassay-chronicals-2 - with Promocode: CMR1O6 (am i supposed to post this here?)

So I´m going to try to submit the design again, but with no type. Really hope it will go through. What do you think?

BeckyBee3_1

Wow, what a transformation!! Read this thread from start to end.. love the final result!! :D Good Luck!!

BeckyBee3_1
taz-pie said:

Bahahaha!!

No account?
Join Us