Close
One second...

How To Get A Color Palette Like These?

So I've always been a fan of this flat minimal style but I've been racking my brain on how to get these kinds of color palettes. Mine are always too bold. Is there a secret because I wouldn't think it'd be this hard to figure out.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to get a light all over texture but I'm not sure what to use. I tried using a film grain texture but it looked horrible no matter how little I used.

Any suggestions or help?

Watch this
EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

A lot of people have issues with color. Easiest and most obvious thing to do is to look at other artwork and pull some inspiration from there. I have a massive collection of images that I reference whenever I hit a wall.

What sort of texture are you looking for? You could start making your own... camera and/or large scanner + photoshop.

vectored_life

Idk if this makes sense, but gives it a fuzzy feel. Like felt texture.

vectored_life

Its why I tried to use the film grain that way it'd be all over. Didn't turn out well lol.

Also, I plan to use the texture so the tee is visible underneath too. Idk if that changes how I need to go about things. For example:

Wolfgang8885

Id say google something like, "blank color palette" and see what comes up.

When I did my hipster ghost design, I googled Autumn color palette and used what I found to create the design. The colors seem to work well together.

I cant find the exact palette I used, but this gives you an idea.

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I think that these sort of muted designs have a sort of particular contrast in both color and values that help give it that "vintage feel" (whatever that even means anymore).

For example, a lot of the examples you posted have values that never go too high or too low, so they seem soft on the eye. They then use color to help differentiate elements even more, but again - nothing too extremely different.

In addition to that, a lot of them employ slight paper/grunge textures, along with a Filter -> Noise overlay in Photoshop.

I find it's actually pretty hard to find a good balance between everything to give things this impression that you're looking for. I see a lot of people try and push their work to be more muted and subtle, but just take it too far. Loads of people try and do this, but the aesthetic is really hard to nail down well! I think the best thing to have though is a profound knowledge of color theory.

vectored_life

Ronan, thank you. That was the exact term I was looking for!

MUTED COLORS

As far as color theory goes, i'm very elementary so I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

Here's a list of COOL TOOLS

I've used COLRD several times when I've been stuck. I like it.

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

The COLRD site is awesome! Thanks a ton!

vectored_life

Maaaayne these are awesome!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I pick all my colors based on how crayons taste

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:

I pick all my colors based on how crayons taste

Evan_Luza
Evan_Luza profile pic Alumni

Most of those minimal design you posted initially have more of a burned feel (colors seem 20% closer to black) than warmer, more popping bold colors. Also I could be crazy.

No account?
Join Us